The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

camper101

Observer
Okay, I know there are people out there who have the smaller campers. I am interested to know, are you N-S or S-N sleepers?
My girlfriend likes to sleep feet forward, and I guess there's probably a little more fresh air that way. Not sure if it really helps with condensation or not. On my own, I've slept with my head toward the front and that's what I'd gravitate toward when she's not with me. When your feet are towards the front (especially with another person) it's a little hard to get out in the middle of the night without kicking somebody, but it's not that bad. I have an Eagle BTW.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Fail

Just wanted to let you guys know of another fail.

The Ridge-Rest as a pad between the camper and the truck, fail. I was surprised as the Ridge-Rest compressed down to almost nothing. When I took the camper off the truck I found out why. The camper only sits on the truck bed in a limited couple of spots. This is because the the camper has strips of wood running up and down the camper, and the strips of wood on the bottom of the camper run in parallel to the ribbed bottom of the truck bed. So the camper shifts a bit and it is only sitting on a thin strip along the parallel ribbing.

Please note. This would not be a problem if you used the factory supplied rubber matt. But that thing was a hog and there was no way that I was lugging it around under the camper.

As I need to raise the camper a 1/4'' from its minimum sitting height to clear the MaxTrax mount, I will be working on a better solution for the camper sitting on the ribbed composite bed of the Gen2 Tacoma. Stay tuned.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Okay, the Luna LED Light from Goal Zero is amazing. I can not believe how slick this little thing is.

(I also ordered an Estrella light. This light is also great, not sure on its final use at this point, but it is so versatile that I think just having it along will be good. With its long cord it would make a good under hood, or under truck, or camper roof, etc, light.)

I have been searching for some kind of small light to have at the front of the cabover area.

I wish I had thought of having the camper wired for a couple of lights on the ceiling at the very front of the camper. Not sure if the factory would have done this, as I have not seen a FWC with lights up there, but I do not see why not. As it is, there is no way that I am tearing into the headliner to pull some wires, so I need to come up with another solution.

I have been looking for a small chart/map light that could plug into the 12v outlets I have at the front of the cabover. I was not having a lot of luck finding a quality light, so I ordered a cheap one thinking I would change it over to LED. I did, but it was still a cheap light and I could not stand the feel of the thing. So it went into the bin of leftover parts from the camper.

Then I came across the Luna LED Light from Goal Zero.
14101.jpg

I must admit that I only know two things about Goal Zero, they advertise in Overland Journal and they have a nice website. It does look like they make quality stuff.

Anyway, going to give one of these paired with a USB 12v outlet converter a try. :)

Amazon Link for Stick Light
Amazon link for USB 12v outlet converter

Last edited:

Super Doody

Explorer
Received and installed the new handrail.

When it came I was impressed with the quality, but I did not like the mirror perfect finish.

img0673s.jpg

So I spent a while giving it a fine burnishing. It now looks like the aluminum on the camper.

Install was straightforward. Unscrewed the old handle, put a little silicone in the hole and reinstalled the screws to seal up the hole. Then I marked for the new holes, drilled a pilot hole, mushed silicone in and around the hole, and installed with 14x5/8 screws. Nice and solid.

img0677w.jpg

Personally this handrail works much better for me. And it is another custom touch on my camper. :)

Nathanael,

Did you fill in the attachment hole from your smaller, stock handle?

Thanks,

Jim

Walt Knapp

GoLight Aim

Now that you have had it out in the wilds I was wondering just how far around towards the back does your GoLight mount allow the light beam to shine before it is cut off by the camper. Looks like it would be cut off pretty early. As expensive as those things are no way I'd contemplate putting one on each front corner. Got to be able to track that Yeti as it runs back behind :)

I suppose it could be made to stick farther out, though that makes it more vulnerable to branches and such in my turf here in the SE. And mounting it up above the roof, or on the roof has it's own problems too. Though I'm wondering if that's what's necessary to make it useful.

Walt Knapp

The previous owner of my Eagle tied it down with the spring turnbuckles that hooked to forged eyebolts that bolted into the jack plates. All that's left of that is the eyebolts, which, from time to time I find useful. Much better for clotheslines, tarp ties and such than feeding them through the bolt holes of the plates. You can find the eyebolts at hardware stores, at least here you can.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Now that you have had it out in the wilds I was wondering just how far around towards the back does your GoLight mount allow the light beam to shine before it is cut off by the camper. Looks like it would be cut off pretty early. As expensive as those things are no way I'd contemplate putting one on each front corner. Got to be able to track that Yeti as it runs back behind :)

I suppose it could be made to stick farther out, though that makes it more vulnerable to branches and such in my turf here in the SE. And mounting it up above the roof, or on the roof has it's own problems too. Though I'm wondering if that's what's necessary to make it useful.

Yes, the mounting of the GoLight is a compromise, but that would be the case anywhere it is mounted.

Where it is mounted, it can give good light just past 90* on either side of the truck. But one thing that I like about the location is that it can give good light on the ground next to the truck. This would not be possible if it was on the roof, unless it was right at the corner. (The XP Camper has a pair of GoLights at the rear corners of the camper, this is good for any direction except for forward.) I did not feel like mounting and wiring the lights to the roof of the camper, and the primary reason for the light was to provide light to the side of the vehicle for use while in the cab of the truck. So I am happy with the location, but it is a compromise.

Everything in life is a compromise.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The previous owner of my Eagle tied it down with the spring turnbuckles that hooked to forged eyebolts that bolted into the jack plates. All that's left of that is the eyebolts, which, from time to time I find useful. Much better for clotheslines, tarp ties and such than feeding them through the bolt holes of the plates. You can find the eyebolts at hardware stores, at least here you can.

That would be handy, but I need to have the brackets free to bolt the jacks to. The string came untied easily enough when I got home, maybe an eye bolt would be just as easy. Good thought.

Walt Knapp

The eye bolts used on the plates on my Eagle just replace regular bolts so no problem mounting jacks, just substitute the eyebolts for the regular bolts you are mounting the jacks with. My Eagle came with this substitution, so did not come with enough regular bolts alone. The forged eyebolts on mine are probably stronger than the regular grade bolts it had for the rest of the holes. It's even possible to have eyes facing each way by substituting two eye bolts at each plate.

I was reading about rear awning ideas today and someone asked about how to attach support poles to the plates, the eyebolts or something similar would work for that use too.

Walt Knapp

Yes, the mounting of the GoLight is a compromise, but that would be the case anywhere it is mounted.

Where it is mounted, it can give good light just past 90* on either side of the truck. But one thing that I like about the location is that it can give good light on the ground next to the truck. This would not be possible if it was on the roof, unless it was right at the corner. (The XP Camper has a pair of GoLights at the rear corners of the camper, this is good for any direction except for forward.) I did not feel like mounting and wiring the lights to the roof of the camper, and the primary reason for the light was to provide light to the side of the vehicle for use while in the cab of the truck. So I am happy with the location, but it is a compromise.

Everything in life is a compromise.

It's a case of choosing the best compromise. I was just curious how you found the limitations of your mounting compromise ;-) In my case I already have a powered hand held spotlight that has less compromise of direction. It's compromise is it's wire cable and that it's hard to use on the side away from you. I use that spotlight both on my boat and camping.

I'm going with the same Rigid diffused lights you used in the back for mine. But there the primary function is for things like backing up in the dark.

I've got the roof rails, so if I went that way with the spotlight I'd machine something coming off them for roof mounting and probably use their protection dome. I certainly can't see putting on a bunch of expensive lights, though we stalk wildlife both day and night for field surveys, and audio as well as photography. I spot frogs on the roads using my Ranger's fog lamps for instance.

It's going to most likely be a while before I can afford the GoLights, so lots of time to think (and look for a really, really good deal on Ebay). My problem with mounting on the corners is that's about the most vulnerable place to have them hit by a branch or such. I often get in situations where I'm clearing by less than a inch in this very forested country. With the Eagle I'm already facing not being able to make it through places that I could with the Leer Canopy. A compromise I think is worth it.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Max Trax Cabover Mount

I decided to use the holidays to their fullest extent. Took as much time off work as I could, and am spending the holidays working on projects, including working on Tardis.

This afternoon, while the temps were up in the double digits, I worked for a while on the under cabover mounts for the MaxTrax.

Here are a couple shots as the first brackets went in. Everything is looking good, another pair of brackets yet to be mounted for the other pair of MaxTrax.

1224121503a.jpg

1224121503.jpg

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I am also working on a new toilet system. I like the PETT (now Clean Waste) toilet, it worked great while I camped out of the topper. With the topper "going" was usually done next to the truck with the PETT, but only when nobody was around. Any people about and it was a no go.

With the camper it would be nice to easily go inside the camper, with little setup. So I could just duck inside the camper and not even have to pop the top.

I want something as easy to use as a cassette system, but without the weight, cost and space that a cassette toilet takes.

Ordered some items, going to see what works. Stay tuned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78