The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Nice idea for the max trax. If I get a another set I may steal that idea. How do they stay in?

Thanks, it is a good use of the extra space between the truck and the cabover. (The gap between the cab roof and the cabover is a bit large when mounted on a Gen2 Tacoma.) And it is nice to have the weight off the roof.

Not sure how I will secure them, however the fit is snug so they do not slide around. Somehow I want to lock them into place, as a set of four was fairly expensive. I am thinking that I will put an eye bolt in so I can padlock each set in. Any better ideas?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Installed the other set of brackets.

At this point they are just loosely bolted in, so they still look a little sloppy.

1225121328.jpg

southpier

Expedition Leader
Interesting. I just naturally climbed in and put my head towards the forward end of the camper. Sleeping with your head towards the door of the camper would mean swinging your legs around once up in the bed, must be why I just kept crawling.

Sleeping the other way also would mean easy access to the vent, and better access to the windows. I might have to rotate!

I wonder what is ''normal''? How many people sleep S-N (head south and feet north) compared to N-S (head north and feet south)?

but then in an emergency, you have to crawl out backwards?

also, feng shui dictates "head to the north". i find it makes a difference. YMMV

Frosty_1

Adventurer
Nathaniel,

Max Trax mounts look good. Maybe you could use Rotopax mounts/locks for the Traxx to secure them? Also looking forward to your toilet setup.

Regards,

f.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
but then in an emergency, you have to crawl out backwards?

also, feng shui dictates "head to the north". i find it makes a difference. YMMV

I always like to sleep with my head towards a wall and my feet able to dangle off the end of the bed (especially when its hot). Having my head towards the back/opening results in my pillow falling down frequently - a real pain. I also like it dark when sleeping and find it better with my head towards the front (especially with no windows).

My feet towards the door also feels more defensive - I could always kick at least...

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Meg and Jed (MegaJed here on ExPo, their blog is adventureamericas) who's Tacoma+Phoenix was featured in Truck Camper Magazine, have just suffered a brutal attack in Peru. They were held overnight while being beaten, stoned and whipped. They are asking for help, please read their blog post. http://adventureamericas.wordpress.com/2013/01/03/nightmare-in-peru/

I do not want to hijack my thread, so please post responses here. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/81198-adventure-americas?highlight=adventureamericas

e_tardif

Thank you for doing all this research. It just took me 1 week to go through each post from start to finish. I am planning on getting myself a Finch Shell. We are moving back to Canada (Yukon) in April this year from Western Australia. Great camping and outback gear here as well as beautiful 4x4 built for purpose vehicles.

Couple of questions if you don't mind:

How difficult would it be to pop the top without any mechanical assistance with a canoe (60#) on the roof?
Not sure if I am buying myself a Frontier (Nissan) or a Tacoma when we land in Vancouver, but how different is the bottom of the camper for one built for a Tacoma Vs a Frontier? In one of your earlier post you talk about bars used to sit in the Tacoma composite truck bed...

Thanks

E

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Nathaniel,

Max Trax mounts look good. Maybe you could use Rotopax mounts/locks for the Traxx to secure them? Also looking forward to your toilet setup.

Regards,

f.

Hi Frosty,

Thanks, I think the mounts will work out nicely. It will be nice to have the weight forward, and not have to deal with the extra weight on top of the roof.

I have looked at the Rotopax system in the past and if I remember correctly the locks need to be pulled strait out, so it would not work in the confined space of the cabover.

Cassette toilet info coming soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78