The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

mtndog

If you are talking about my swing-arm setup, the fuel/water carrier and ammo box can be removed from the swing-arms. They have a small length of 1-1/2" square tube welded to their bottoms and then slide on a 1-1/4" square tube welded to the swing-arm and then are locked on with a common hitch lock thru a 1/2" hole. The swing-arms will open to the same width as the bed so the camper will slide out. But I will have to offset the camper jacks with a 6" or so spacer to clear them on the outside. You will have to offset you front jacks to clear the rear fender on the Tacoma anyways, so just offset the rear jacks and you're gtg. In addition, I used a bolt/nut for the swing-arm hinges, so they may be easily removed.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Thanks MtnDog.

Do you have a picture showing how your swing arms are attached to the truck? Because they are mounted to the truck, not the bumper right?

mtndog

They are built off the existing tailgate trunnions using a ~1.5" piece of round pipe that slips over and rides on the trunnion. Everything else is built off that so the weight is on the trunnion.

P1010060.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Teak Floor

"There is just something about a teak and holly floor..."

After spending some time in a friends Westy that had a very unique faux slate floor, I decided that my camper needs an interesting floor. And while the slate was a nice look, for me a wood floor fits. And nothing is better than a teak and holly floor.

Keeping in mind the lightweight and simple philosophy of this build, and not wanting to spend the gas budget on the floor, I found this product.

www.worldpanel.com/marinelam

Cherry and holly is nice also. :ylsmoke:

cherryholly.jpg

Last edited:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Loving this thread!

Excellent idea. That flooring material in your link looks great! Anything other than carpet will be a big benefit.

One of the best mods we did to our camper van was tearing out the stinky carpet and installing laminate flooring. When properly caulked around the edges (easy job), it's virtually 100% waterproof. It's so nice to be able to jump in the camper with muddy boots or wet clothes and not worry about hurting the floor. We travel with two dirt-loving dogs and even after a week of dusty/muddy travel, cleanup takes <10 minutes with a shop vac and a damp rag. No weird odors, no mildew, etc. Our van is our biggest camping vehicle but it's by far the easiest to clean because of the laminate floor.

806754369_3fp8A-M.jpg

FWIW- I left carpet inside all the under seat storage bins to eliminate rattles. Works perfectly. If it gets damaged or stained it's easy to just pull it out and throw in another square.

wannaby

Adventurer
You know there is an even lighter option I have used wood grain look linolium in my house and for a light weight camper it would be great too.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Thanks for posting that link.

I agree about the teak and holly :D

I was looking here : http://www.marine-plywood.us/Lonsealflooring.htm

It looks like you found a better option :)

After spending some time in a friends Westy that had a very unique faux slate floor, I decided that my camper needs an interesting floor. And while the slate was a nice look, for me a wood floor fits. And nothing is better than a teak and holly floor.

Keeping in mind the lightweight and simple philosophy of this build, and not wanting to spend the gas budget on the floor, I found this product.

www.worldpanel.com/marinelam

Cherry and holly is nice also. :ylsmoke:

cherryholly.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Thanks for posting that link.

I agree about the teak and holly :D

I was looking here : http://www.marine-plywood.us/Lonsealflooring.htm

It looks like you found a better option :)

Thanks for the link to the Lonseal. World Panel had Lonseal, but the price they have listed is more than twice what you found.

Lonseal would be a good option, it would not require finishing, and it might hold up better to temperature changes.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
You are very welcome !

Guess we found out something good about that link, huh ? ($)
:sombrero:

Thanks ! :D

Guess I was just not exactly sure if it were the kind of flooring you were looking for..., but thought it worthwhile to post what I had found.

There seems to be a lot on that website and it is not all that far away.

Really looking forward to you ordering your camper and building it up as you envisage. (You got me thinking about a shell HT - maybe a flat bed with door on the side...)

Thanks for the link to the Lonseal. World Panel had Lonseal, but the price they have listed is more than twice what you found.

Lonseal would be a good option, it would not require finishing, and it might hold up better to temperature changes.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
!

I think I have figured out a way to carry three jerry cans of fuel or water with my (future) Finch FWC. More details to follow. But here is a teaser. It will have extremely good weight distribution qualities. (Low and forward on the vehicle.) And yes, it will be outside storage for the fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman