The Toyota Land Cruiser Is Coming Back To America

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I hope they turn out to be like the Porsche Macan SUV in terms of marketing and sales. The world really needs a great SUV that is more than a poser and mall crawler that isn't out of reach financially for most people.

Better reliability and better dealer support would be a real advantage over the Jeep Rubicon IMHO. I have been to 5 local Jeep dealers and have not had a good shopping experience due to them not being focused on hiring reasonable sales staff and being more focused on upselling a base model to mall crawlers and soccer moms. Around where I live, it seems like every other "Soccer Mom" is in a Black or Blue Jeep with some gaudy wheels and a row of ducks on the dash.

Local pricing for a Rubicon JLU is also $10K more than the suggested mid-$50K range of a new Land Cruiser and won't be saddled with the Stellantis "Green" features which seem problematic at best.
Q5 with different branding? Like say a 4runner with different branding? 😆

Sid Post

Observer
Q5 with different branding? Like say a 4runner with different branding? 😆
No, not a Q5 equivalent vehicle. Q3 shared some platform elements with the Maccan.

VW, Audi, and Porsche all used the same base platform but, the powertrains were significantly different. Also, the front and rear sub-frames were unique in many cases. That ignores other things like the quality of materials and additional features not found on the other models.

And yes, I test drove the Audi which was ~20% cheaper with its 4-cylinder and automatic transmission. The Porsche with its dual-turbo V-6 and PDK transmission was easily TWICE the car for the small price increase.

Because the Land Cruiser will share a common powertrain and frame doesn't mean it won't be a significantly different vehicle. I don't see this as a rebranding exercise like the Lexus/Land Cruiser connection.

utherjorge

Observer
Around where I live, it seems like every other "Soccer Mom" is in a Black or Blue Jeep with some gaudy wheels and a row of ducks on the dash.
Perfect description in every way.
What does the row of ducks on the dash mean?
So, literally, it's a Jeep thing. You (nor I, nor anyone) wouldn't understand.

I really do think it's great that different car cultures do different things to become a community. After all, despite the fact that all Jeep products are total ******tboxes when stock, people buy them and buy them and buy them. And yes, of course, they do so to become part of a community. I can't poop on them, even though I think it's silly, because everyone deserves to be happy and all that. The GX community does its own things.

In short, people leave these little duckies on Jeeps they see that typically used to mean "nice Jeep, random guy!" and now they just put them on every Jeep they see. It's a physical manifestation of the Jeep wave.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I think this is gonna kill the Cool Guy vibe of the LC. No more speeding up or flipping around in the parking lot to check out some guys rig. Now they will be a dime and dozen like 4Runners and Tacos
I don't know. Not sure if they ever had a 'Cool Guy' vibe. It's an SUV, lol... Land Cruisers haven't been sold here since the mid 90's and even when I see one that's been imported from the States or Japan I don't really find myself needing to speed up or flip around to check it out. But then again, I don't do that for any make or model of vehicle. I do enjoy checking out vehicle at a car show though..

epyonxero

I really do think it's great that different car cultures do different things to become a community. After all, despite the fact that all Jeep products are total ******tboxes when stock, people buy them and buy them and buy them. And yes, of course, they do so to become part of a community. I can't poop on them, even though I think it's silly, because everyone deserves to be happy and all that. The GX community does its own things.

In short, people leave these little duckies on Jeeps they see that typically used to mean "nice Jeep, random guy!" and now they just put them on every Jeep they see. It's a physical manifestation of the Jeep wave.
Interesting, had no idea this was a thing.

Jupiter58

Though a stock rubicon shitbox is still more capable off-road than any other makes stock shitbox.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have 4. From Arkansas, Oregon, Arizona and the OB. In each case the Jeep was caked with mud, snow or sand and over 1000 miles from its FL home.
But yes, the trend has turned from a well built Jeep doing tough trails or overlanding and far from home to mall crawlers exchanging ducks.
I thought the ducks were some sort of Only fan thing with stay at home moms. Like 4 ducks means Thursday the house is empty paying customers welcome to follow home?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online