The Ultimate Road Trip!

mattrickman

Wow!

What a great expedition. Thank you for taking the time to share your (very well written) trip report and photos/videos.

matt rickman
colorado

viter

Adventurer
thanks a lot for such a great write-up, pics and videos! it is very inspiring!!!

After reading this I finally finished my own tiny write-up about my trip to baja 500 last month - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=654993#post654993

I understand and agree with a lot of the things you say - especially about things being different in other countries and one having to act accordingly. I've never so far luckily has been pulled over by cops in mexico, even though I've driven there quite a lot - going out, off-road trips, trips to see my wife's relatives. But in my home country - Ukraine, once I've been pulled over like 5 times in just a few days - sometimes for actually breaking the traffic laws and sometimes for no reason and every time being polite yet not willing to give cops any money worked - I got away with no ticket or anything. Sure it was my native country, but I think your advise generally is very good. My wife, who grew up in Mexico, also says that the cops would often threaten you that they will take you to the judge for you to pay your fine - that you would have to follow them in your vehicle to the courthouse, while in reality regular traffic tickets are just written out and given to people on the spot. The cops know this and just try to scare tourists, so if tourist suddenly agrees to follow cop to the courthouse the cop has nothing else to do but to let the driver go since he ( the cop) is bluffing.

Tijuana city government actually has a website with tourist guide - http://www.tijuana.gob.mx/turismo/TouristGuide/English/index.asp
that actually spells out different laws and fines for them (see page 6). As you can see most infractions are really not expensive (especially, compared with US tickets) and you can even pay your ticket in US. I know that rules in Tijuana and other places in Mexico might vary, but I doubt they are very far off.

good luck on your future trips!!!

D

Deleted member 9101

Great write up, it makes me want to hit the road when I get home...lol

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
thanks a lot for such a great write-up, pics and videos! it is very inspiring!!!

After reading this I finally finished my own tiny write-up about my trip to baja 500 last month - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=654993#post654993

I understand and agree with a lot of the things you say - especially about things being different in other countries and one having to act accordingly.

*snip*

good luck on your future trips!!!

Thank you for your comments, links and info!

I kind of left it out but...yes if you do something wrong such as run a red light then you need to pay the ticket or bribe. There was only a few times I did something wrong when confronted by cops, like when they hit me for speeding in Costa Rica on the way home. I can only think of a couple times though when they said you need to go to the police station to pay the ticket....and that was always follwed by, make a deal! If you are in the wrong you can follow them to the police station and pay the ticket.

I experienced a lot of me not being in the wrong and them trying to get a bribe out of me (Honduras & Mexico were the worst). In these instances I feel my advice is solid. After they tried to frame me in Acapulco I kept my camera under my seat. I told myself it it gets real bad with the cops again just pull it out start filming and roll up the windows and lock the doors. Wait for them to either leave or call in the other cops. This may or may not have worked (maybe it would have gotten me in more trouble) but it gave me peace of mind that they would not be getting me for that much cash ever again! You can also try being very stand offish and just say to them I got $20 you can put in your pocket or we can make a big deal out of this and in the end you will get nothing! It is $20 or nothing sir, take it or leave it! That may work or it may get you in more trouble. Bottom line is don't break any laws and they have no right to screw you over for money.

I think so many tourists go to Cancun or Acapulco or Cabo San Lucas and do a very controled type of vacation. They buy the cheesy hot pink shirt that says Cancun on it and they never leave the tourist areas. They act just like they are in the USA and they stick out of the crowd, meaning are target for bribes, theft and all that jazz. This sets a bad example for the rest of us traveling through Latin America because the cops think we are all dumb American tourists with tons of money. A lot of the locals will also think that if you act like the dumb gringo tourist. A lot of tourists also don't speak any Spanish so if you speak a little you pick up on the locals making fun of tourists or saying bad things about them. Why do you think the street/beach vendors in these tourist hot spots are so pushy? Because it works! Tourists give in and buy that lame pair of $5 sunglasses or hot pink shirt. The tourist cities in not only Mexico but all of Central America are like these little bubbles. Everything is pretty, polished and made for tourists in these places. Not to mention extremely expensive. Most people like that it is just like some USA city with a cheesy Latin flavor. Me, I can't stand these tourist hot spots. I guess my point is that many tourists before me/us have set a bad example. As a result a lot of Latin people think we are all the same. On top of that most people don't know much about Latin history and how Americans/ westerners have affected their culture. They also assume that because people are uneducated in these countries they are stupid which is hardly the truth! This is why I tried to make such a strong point in my trip report that you should to not act this way when traveling outside the USA. Not only does it make you look bad, it makes ALL Americans look bad. Plus it makes things more difficult for those who come after you. On top of that if you walk around like you are in Disneyland you will never really get to experience the REAL Latin America!

idaxj97

Adventurer
wow :Wow1: i must say bravo bravo that has to be one of the best trip reports so far ( which i havent read many sad to say) if i had the time and money i think i would love to to do a trip like this thank you for such a great report im glad you had fun and got home safe.

Roverholic

Observer
What a great friggen read. Thanks so much for posting all of this data. This has been my nightly reading for a while, good thing we have another CM trip to read about on the Expo!
Seriously, thank you very much and I hope to have an opportunity to share a beer some day. Preferably in CM but I'll take JH too. You're also welcome in Carlsbad Ca anytime.
Cheers,
Paul
:coffeedrink:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
What a great friggen read. Thanks so much for posting all of this data. This has been my nightly reading for a while, good thing we have another CM trip to read about on the Expo!
Seriously, thank you very much and I hope to have an opportunity to share a beer some day. Preferably in CM but I'll take JH too. You're also welcome in Carlsbad Ca anytime.
Cheers,
Paul
:coffeedrink:

No worries Paul....glad you enjoyed the trip report! :beer:

This was a great read. Being a lover of the Latin culture (7 trips to South America), I can relate to much of this. I may try this trip one day. Thanks for taking the time to share your journal. And by the way, Wyoming ain't too bad either ! :)

NorCalLC

Adventurer
Excellent trip report, amazing photos as well. I have to admit, I'm really leary about leaving this country for the few reasons all discussed earlier but, look at the great experiences a person could miss out on.

Thanks again for all the work you put into this report & I'm glad you made it back safely to share.

BTW, thats really cool you took buddy with you, we don't go anywhere without our 3.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Excellent trip report, amazing photos as well. I have to admit, I'm really leary about leaving this country for the few reasons all discussed earlier but, look at the great experiences a person could miss out on.

Thanks again for all the work you put into this report & I'm glad you made it back safely to share.

BTW, thats really cool you took buddy with you, we don't go anywhere without our 3.

No worries and my pleasure! Glad people are still enjoying the trip report and the adventure I took.

All I can say to those who think twice about leaving the USA or taking a trip like I did is....you only live once! Better to try it and find out you don't like it then to never try and always wonder....

:sombrero:

mayoibushi

Observer
this is epic man! Im so jealous, I am excited about my trip out west next year in my new Xterra and stops at NO, Yosemite, MOAB, and some others but what you did is the EXTREME. Love that you take the dog with you, I take mine with me everywhere I go traveling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78