The Unnamed - 2019 Ram Power Wagon Build

Etoimos

Observer
What is making you want to switch out from a Gladiator to a Power Wagon?

Mainly interior space. The JT is just really cramped inside. I've not looked at the numbers, but it feels much smaller than my old JKUR (not including the cargo area in the back). I've got a month long trip up to the Artic Ocean planned for next summer with my dog, my son and maybe his best friend. It will just be too tight in the JT on a trip like that.

UglyViking

Mainly interior space. The JT is just really cramped inside. I've not looked at the numbers, but it feels much smaller than my old JKUR (not including the cargo area in the back). I've got a month long trip up to the Artic Ocean planned for next summer with my dog, my son and maybe his best friend. It will just be too tight in the JT on a trip like that.

I've got a 2019 2500 that I'm currently building out as a bit of a do it all rig. I love full sized trucks, I like the interior room and size overall, and it enables me to tow a travel trailer with my wife, 2 dogs, a one year old, and another planned, so I get where you're coming from.

That said, while I absolutely love my 2500 it comes with downsizes. It isn't cheap to insure or register, likely due to overall cost, it has a very large turning radius, it is larger than most parking spots, and is a bit of a dog (at least with the factory cummins). I understand the desire for more room but people have made family trips with vastly smaller vehicles for generations. I owned a JKU prior to my current truck and while I love the size part of me misses the smaller JKU. I bought a JLU for my wife a few years back and I still enjoy driving it. Obviously a bit more cramped, but it's not something you can't deal with in my mind.

Part of me wishes I went with a Gladiator instead of the Cummins for the size alone.

Etoimos

Observer
I've got a 2019 2500 that I'm currently building out as a bit of a do it all rig. I love full sized trucks, I like the interior room and size overall, and it enables me to tow a travel trailer with my wife, 2 dogs, a one year old, and another planned, so I get where you're coming from.

That said, while I absolutely love my 2500 it comes with downsizes. It isn't cheap to insure or register, likely due to overall cost, it has a very large turning radius, it is larger than most parking spots, and is a bit of a dog (at least with the factory cummins). I understand the desire for more room but people have made family trips with vastly smaller vehicles for generations. I owned a JKU prior to my current truck and while I love the size part of me misses the smaller JKU. I bought a JLU for my wife a few years back and I still enjoy driving it. Obviously a bit more cramped, but it's not something you can't deal with in my mind.

Part of me wishes I went with a Gladiator instead of the Cummins for the size alone.

It is definitely a trade off. The extra length will be the biggest drawback for me, but since I will already be towing an offroad trailer, I'm already limited in that area. The price of the PW that I'm looking at and the JT are very close and CO does not charge anything extra for heavy duty trucks (to my knowledge), so registration and insurance should not be much of a difference. Parking will be a pain, the wife's 1500 is already a pain sometimes. Thankfully the PW would mainly just be used to and from work (with big parking spaces) and on trips. Any family running around town would be in her 1500. My JKUR was built for rock crawling, but I'm over that now. Give me wide open vistas and such these days.

bikelanta

Adventurer
I was originally jonesing for a Gladiator when it was announced - taking the top off, looks cool with large tires, truck bed room, available manual transmission, would love to see what Ursa Minor can do with it - but then drove one and realized my wife wouldn't like the space for road trips and the kiddo car seat wouldn't fit well and like you said pricing is close and equipment is similar and...and...and...there's a Power Wagon in our driveway now. Plus, at 6'2" I can sleep stretched out in the bed...I can slide the front seats all the way back and not run into the car seat...and I can fit the full size Decked drawers in the bed...and I live in Colorado where it's nice to have the axles, brakes, and engine from trucks that tow and haul much more over these high mountain passes with ease. Happy.

Hegear

Hi, I’ve been reading this thread and stealing a few ideas for the last month or so. Thank you.
I had a few questions….
The Baja designs fog lights look really cool, were they a big improvement over stock?
My 20 inch light bar just shipped and was wondering if you could send me a photo of the way you mounted the light to the grill.

thanks so much for your time.

Etoimos

Observer
@St8ton Do you have some type of boot between the RSI and the cab of your truck? In several of your photos it does not look like you can see light between the two.

St8ton

@St8ton Do you have some type of boot between the RSI and the cab of your truck? In several of your photos it does not look like you can see light between the two.
Nah, no boot. It's just a tight fit and I've got some cables running down in between for solar and lighting that may be blocking some light.

Etoimos

Observer
Added some HardKorr Lighting LEDs with a panel I made for the switch control

42EmJ24l.jpg

It looks like you are using a single controller to run all three lights... so are these lights daisy-chainable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179