Thinking About A Jeep Commander Who Has One?

cbckidatheart

but I know I'm weird but I dig the "boxey" squared lines of the Commander. The big/multiple sun roofs is a great perk too. Keep us posted if you build one. JP magazine had a REALLY cool gold/tan one in it within the last 3-4 months and it was a cool built Comma

I actually dig the look as well. I am leaning towards the 5.7 Hemi version. I'll keep everyone posted on whatever I choose thanks.

Broncbuster

I went from a Jeep TJ to a Tahoe Z71 to a Jeep Commander 4.7, 4WD, 3.73 gear. I installed a RC 2.5" lift, Monroe Load Leveler Rear Shocks (extra 1 inch lift), 2015 Rubicon Wheels, 255/75/17 BFG KM. Commanders are basically a Grand Cherokee with a different body.
I have been very impressed with the off road capabilities, on road manners and overall comfort. I have pulled a small camping/military trailer, a 16ft flat bed with 2 large round bales of hay without issue.
I wanted a JK but needed the extra room and wanted a V8.
My only complaint is fuel mileage. I get around 16.5 on the highway after lift and larger tires.

cbckidatheart

I went from a Jeep TJ to a Tahoe Z71 to a Jeep Commander 4.7, 4WD, 3.73 gear. I installed a RC 2.5" lift, Monroe Load Leveler Rear Shocks (extra 1 inch lift), 2015 Rubicon Wheels, 255/75/17 BFG KM. Commanders are basically a Grand Cherokee with a different body.
I have been very impressed with the off road capabilities, on road manners and overall comfort. I have pulled a small camping/military trailer, a 16ft flat bed with 2 large round bales of hay without issue.
I wanted a JK but needed the extra room and wanted a V8.
My only complaint is fuel mileage. I get around 16.5 on the highway after lift and larger tires.

Thanks a ton for the insight. I like your build as well, it makes sense for what I would like to do. Do you use the roof rack for gear? Or mostly in your trailer. I can get by with the back seat down for another year after that I will have to go half down in the back for seats. By then I plan to bring a military trailer on board.

I have a 06' Commander with the 5.7, quadra drive, 2" budget lift and 265/70/17 a Terra Grapplers. Compared to a Tahoe it is not as roomy but it fits my family of 5 (3 teenagers) well. The 3rd row is not for long trips and when up there is no room behind it except for a backpack. Off-road it has taken me everywhere my old 78 K5 with rear lockers, 4" lift and 35"s went with much more comfort and a whole lot more power. I have had no problems except for the (95000 mi) front pumpkin bushing tend to go bad and are a pain to change

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
I love the XK since it came out. I'd drive one if I didn't have my LJ. V8 power, comfort and beautiful. Oh and not to shabby off road I hear.

131_0902_03_z%2b2007_jeep_commanders%2bgreen_rear_view.jpg

Frank

Explorer
Had a base Commander and couldn't have been happier to get rid of it. We had a issue with the electronics on it, the interior material was super crappy and the third row is practically worthless, unless you have small kids who are capable of climbing back there on their own.

I would pass. A Suburban, Excursion, etc would be better options.

Broncbuster

I have a basket but have not installed. I usually only use the cargo carrier in the hitch. That is to carry water and the cooler. Rest can go in the cargo area for a 1 or 2 night trip. I have a 4wd Duramax Dually so I don't tow much with the Commander but a quick trip to home depot, hauling the 4 wheeler in the trailer etc. it has no problem with the power.
We mostly camp forestry roads so not much rock crawling or mud, just general off road trails. I have pulled more H3's and Z71's out than I care to count.
What I like most on the interior is there are allot of small storage/cubby areas for items.
My 4 year old likes the moon roof/windows over her seat.

I will post some pics tomorrow. Raining here now.

cbckidatheart

I have a basket but have not installed. I usually only use the cargo carrier in the hitch. That is to carry water and the cooler. Rest can go in the cargo area for a 1 or 2 night trip. I have a 4wd Duramax Dually so I don't tow much with the Commander but a quick trip to home depot, hauling the 4 wheeler in the trailer etc. it has no problem with the power.
We mostly camp forestry roads so not much rock crawling or mud, just general off road trails. I have pulled more H3's and Z71's out than I care to count.
What I like most on the interior is there are allot of small storage/cubby areas for items.
My 4 year old likes the moon roof/windows over her seat.

I will post some pics tomorrow. Raining here now.

Sounds like you use the Commander pretty close to how I would. I plan to do a few mini adventure trips a week or 7 to 10 days off grid and I think the Commander will be a good fit. I am looking forward to your pictures.

Broncbuster

Finally

Finally quit raining enough to take some pics.... Not much done to it since it is my daily driver and I have a lifted 67 Ford F250 and a lifted Duramax Dually, I needed a vehicle that was road worthy.
2.5 Rough Country Lift
Spider Trax 1.25 wheel spacers
255/75/17 BFG KM on Rubicon Wheels
4.7L with a Programmer, K&N Filter
3.73 Gears
Monroe Load Levelers in the rear
Skid Plates
2 Led Light Bars on Mopar Grille Guard
Optima Red Top with a 1000W inverter
I have roof basket, should be back on soon

Attachments

• Jeep Commander1.jpg
    Jeep Commander1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Jeep Commander 2.jpg
    Jeep Commander 2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 74

74makoLKN

I'm in similar boat. Currently driving an XJ but with growing fam trying to decide between commander and GC. I've owned a '06 GC before. Best vehicle and most capable unmodified 4x4 I've ever owned (compared to Wranglers, Discovery I, Range Rover, and GMC1500HD) Commander is exact same platform as GC but Commander has 2.5" longer body + 3rd row, bit worse on MPG. As previously stated, you want to shop for a limited model w/ the quadra drive 2 (provides front and rear electronic limited slip differentials). Fairly confident that QDII is only available on 5.7L. But I know for sure that it is not an option w/ Laredo model.

I would love an LC but is cist prohibitive with low miles. Another option I've looked at is the LX470. For whatever reason, in my market, I can find LX470 with less miles and significantly cheaper than same year LC.

Good luck with your search

Smksignals

Explorer
I have a 07 Commander and love it. I am going to get the Rough Country 2" lift installed this week and get new tires, probably BFG's. I'll try and get some before and after pix.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
Had an 07 XK. It was a good vehicle and did really well in the winter here. I didn't like it, but that's because I wanted a Wrangler at the time. I put a 2 inch budget boost it it and thought it looked right then, before that I thought it was too low. The third row is basically useless. Also there isn't a lot ofor aftermarket options for it. My brother just got a WK and it got me thinking about an XK again. Definitely get QDII and the Hemi. It's thirsty but I would average 15-17mpg depending on how and where I drove. I also ran midgrade.

cbckidatheart

Really appreciate all of the comments. Thanks a ton for posting pictures as well it really helps me with the vision. For those of you who currently own one how many miles have you put on your rigs?

MarbleGT

08 Overland here.

Love the truck. We bought it with 30k miles on it a few years ago, sitting at 65k now. I bought the RRO lift (& 1.5" spacers, 265/65 Open Country ATIIs, Exhuast, LED Tails) about 2 weeks after I bought the truck...since it's a spacer lift the ride hasn't really changed at all, but I have since put 35k~ miles on it. I like the Commander because it is semi-capable in stock form, has big power despite not a huge footprint and love the boxy 'old school Jeep' look. The interior is nice-ish...typical and generic Jeep/Chrysler parts bin stuff, but functional and rugged. The Commander is not a big truck, comparable to the 100 series in the pic below. It's not a huge amount bigger then a Grand...so keep that in mind. I wouldn't buy it solely on the availability of having a 3rd row seat.

I actually just got back from a Colorado trip where we were 'trapped' in a blizzard near Clovis, NM. We were stuck in the truck for about 12 hours before pressing on by climbing over the median wind the winds died down. The Nation Guard was pulling people out of cars that had died, and apparently there were 60-70mph sustained winds for over 8 hours. Absolute zero visibility. Luckily we knew what we were driving in to and us along with our other party were massively prepared. Other than being bored, no prob! We had zero trouble with it and it never slipped or acted like it was going to let us down. For the record, the truck was RUNNING from 8am on a Sunday morning until about 8pm on Monday only turning off for the few gas stops and 2 lunch stops on the 600m trip.

It drives much bigger than it is and feels 100% solid on trails. QDII is one of the best traction systems you can have a 4x4. I'd love to put the Superlift on it and crazy with baskets and wheels/tires but my wife has already hit the garage once as it sits...lol. It's a great truck and we are thrilled with it. With these mods + the 5.7 expect 12-14 mpg all the time.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would LOVE to replace my suburban with a commander. At least then I would have something reliable. I was out plowing yesterday and the burb started hiccupping and farting, and the chevy logo started blinking again. (check engine light). Its on in every chev I have ever sat in so it should just be their logo. Sweet commander above!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger