Thoughts for an Overlander in today's market? Suggestions?

Sid Post

Observer
I really wanted to like the Nissan Pathfinder but, that CVT totally blows. If it was a manual or automatic transmission, I'd likely be in one of them today.

We have a Nissan HQ locally so there are lots of them about and they don't have the negative rep they seem to have elsewhere. I've had a 22 Frontier for a year and a half and I've been happy with it. It pulls my small trailer (Casita) well but the payload is only 1160#. I chose the Frontier primarily because it was available when I needed a new truck. That said, I'd probably choose it again, given the alternatives. The Pro4X gets you another inch of ground clearance and a rear locker but I went with the SV for the additional payload. Maybe when Ford puts the 2.7 in the Ranger.... Dealer here has a bunch of Frontiers on the lot.

TwinStick

Explorer
We are awaiting delivery of our 2023 ZR2 Colorado. It is going to be a "Jack of all trades". Factory lockers & 430 lb ft of torque at an almost "diesel like rpm" is a great start. Factory tires are 33" 285/70/17 with a great tread pattern.

We are looking hard at a DirtBox canopy camper. It's like a cap but with a RTT and definitely geared towards overland, with lots of tracks for customization and options. It seems to be all business with no fluff, which is what I prioritize. HD and fully functional.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
We are awaiting delivery of our 2023 ZR2 Colorado. It is going to be a "Jack of all trades". Factory lockers & 430 lb ft of torque at an almost "diesel like rpm" is a great start. Factory tires are 33" 285/70/17 with a great tread pattern.

We are looking hard at a DirtBox canopy camper. It's like a cap but with a RTT and definitely geared towards overland, with lots of tracks for customization and options. It seems to be all business with no fluff, which is what I prioritize. HD and fully functional.
Look forward to some pics of this all setup.

TwinStick

Explorer
Yup, there has never been the choices in vehicles, 4wd systems & technology in said vehicle than there is right now. Problem is, we can barely afford this new ZR2. I feel that we will never be able to afford a truck like this again. And I absolutely do not want any vehicle with battery assisted hp or torque. At least until I stop seeing all the videos of peoples garage and or house catching fire because it malfunctioned and caught the vehicle on fire which in turn caused the other to catch fire as well. My wife wondered what all the burn spots on side of highways were from on our last cross country trip. I told her that they were from vehicles catching on fire & not just the electric ones either. We have seen semi trucks, school buses, cars & pickups that have caught fire for what ever reason on the sides of highways.

skrypj

Our local Chevy dealership has a ZR2 on the lot for $62,000. I couldn’t believe it. My wife’s 2019 ZR2 was around $40,000 brand new. I know the new ZR2 has gotten a much needed interior upgrade, but $62,000? Am I the only one who has a hard time with that?

View attachment 812906View attachment 812907
It has the $10,000 Desert Boss package that gives you all that bolted on stuff. They start at $46,800. A 2019 ZR2 started at 42,400.

All things considered, the new ZR2 seems like a stellar deal.

drabina

Our local Chevy dealership has a ZR2 on the lot for $62,000. I couldn’t believe it. My wife’s 2019 ZR2 was around $40,000 brand new. I know the new ZR2 has gotten a much needed interior upgrade, but $62,000? Am I the only one who has a hard time with that?
Funny, I remember the same thing in 2018. Was picking up my Z71 for $30K and looked at ZR2 for $40K. I really liked the ZR2 but decided not to spend the additional money.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
It has the $10,000 Desert Boss package that gives you all that bolted on stuff. They start at $46,800. A 2019 ZR2 started at 42,400.

All things considered, the new ZR2 seems like a stellar deal.
What’s the payload? I assume it’s around 1000lbs..

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
One thing I learned in my search for a flat towable but off road capable rig is that the turbo 4 in the Ranger is direct injection. Easier to control ping and therefore despite being a turbo, premium fuel is not required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Except when towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger