Time to retire the F150

DaveNay

Adventurer
I would get something very reliable, sounds like a lot of your current truck issues are maintenance items. Stay away from superduty diesels unless its an old 7.3

I agree about the maintenance issues. They are also likely my fault. We were in a hard situation for a couple of years and some things had to be neglected. Mea culpa.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The 4runner would be good if you take it real easy when you tow. Just get the thing baselined when you buy it and it will last a long time.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I don't think I could live without a Pick up.
I would look for a newer model with less miles.

Try a different make I went from a F150 1/2 ton to a GMC 2500HD crew cab short bed due to having more kids.
This 12 year old GMC is part of the family now and we love it.

DaveNay

Adventurer
I don't think I could live without a Pick up.
I would look for a newer model with less miles.

Try a different make I went from a F150 1/2 ton to a GMC 2500HD crew cab short bed due to having more kids.
This 12 year old GMC is part of the family now and we love it.

Looks like I am 95% likely to replace with another full size pickup. Leaning heavily toward first gen Tundra but will consider Chevy or Dodge.

Don't discount the newer Suburbans and Tahoe's either. The 5.3 is a great engine and they would be able to tow 5k much better than a 4runner. Plus there really isn't much difference in MPG between the mid-size vehicles and the full size ones.

fowldarr

Explorer
Or the first gen sequoia, we love ours, I also love my 2nd gen tundra, but sounds like that is above your intended price range.

DaveNay

Adventurer
Don't discount the newer Suburbans and Tahoe's either. The 5.3 is a great engine and they would be able to tow 5k much better than a 4runner. Plus there really isn't much difference in MPG between the mid-size vehicles and the full size ones.

A Suburban is also on the short list. It has one major advantage that it is an instant approval from SWMBO (she's wanted one for years).

DaveNay

Adventurer
Well, at the moment I've narrowed the selection down to a pair of Suburbans:

1999 2500 with 7.4l 115k miles -> asking $3900
2003 2500 with 6.0l 137k miles -> asking $6999

Hopefully I should have a new (to me) truck in a week or two.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Pics to help us help you? (Or just cause we like pics). I like the 6.0, but not sure I like it $3000 better. The 03 has a nicer interior, but exteriors are a wash. Both will look much better with a couple of inches of lift and some 255 or 285 tires. Is either or both a 2500? This would be a big factor in my mind...

DaveNay

Adventurer
Pics to help us help you? (Or just cause we like pics). I like the 6.0, but not sure I like it $3000 better. The 03 has a nicer interior, but exteriors are a wash. Both will look much better with a couple of inches of lift and some 255 or 285 tires. Is either or both a 2500? This would be a big factor in my mind...

I don't have pics at the moment...both craigslist ads have expired and I forgot to download the pics. I like the 6.0 a bit better too, but for my planned use (~10K miles per year) it will take 5 years to recoup the cost vs MPG.

Both are 2500

XRrider

Observer
Both are going to need maintenance as you F150 does, you can't avoid it. Unless you get into brand new with a trade in cycle every 3 years or a lease.

DaveNay

Adventurer
Both are going to need maintenance as you F150 does, you can't avoid it. Unless you get into brand new with a trade in cycle every 3 years or a lease.

I understand that. I have no passion for the F150 anymore. A different vehicle is a different vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998