tire balance issues

muddyluxury

Observer
Ok, so i just got brand new front tires and mounted them tonight.

I went with goodyear wrangler duratracs 285/75R16 with my same Crager Soft 8's 5on5 with 4in bs

put the tire on the machine and it kicked out 9oz and 7.75oz three times in a row. but my tire guy would not put the weights on he said it was too much.

so i left pissed off and went to another shop. well i got up to 55mph jeep was smooth as glass. the guys at the other shop said their machine was junk and would probably screw it up.

so i am thinking about some dynamic balance media, any thoughts?

matt s

Explorer
I would try another shop first. I have a lot of weight on mine as well.

I tipped the guy doing mine. I asked him to make sure that he got "0" on every tire. They consider .5 close enough. He even let me watch to verify. Best extra $5 spent in a while.

dockrat14

Um that i do not know i work at discount tire and if it calls for that much weigh thats what we do. That is what i do to all mud tires too. You dont feel anything when balance out. But your tire shop should know what static balancing is. If they dont you can inform them.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've read similiar complaints about the Wrangler's need for mucho weight. BFG's can have a similiar problem. My 285 KO's took as much as 10 oz. I had road vibration also. Neither Discount nor BFG would address the problem. My Toyos take a fraction of the weight.

zjsheller

Observer
I would keep in mind that they are trying to counter-balance imperfections in both your wheels and tires. You might try asking them to try rotating your tires 180 degrees on the wheel and see if that helps.

The Duratracs are pretty light tires and really shouldn't need that kind of weight.

Good luck.

njjeepthing

Explorer
Find a shop with a Hunter machine, http://www.gsp9700.com/.

I also have duratrac's mine also took some weight to balance, and I don't have steel wheels. Steel wheels are 50% of your problem, b/c they don't come true when they are new, a heavy mud tire only makes the problem worse IMO.

muddyluxury

Observer
for steel wheels dynamic balancing is best, is the tire properly set on the wheel? is the wheel bent?

if the wheel was bent i would not get repeatable numbers would i?

I was looking at those bags you throw in the tire they have on the expo exchange. but 4-6oz dosen't seem like enough when the machine told me a total of 13oz??

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper

I was looking at those bags you throw in the tire they have on the expo exchange. but 4-6oz dosen't seem like enough when the machine told me a total of 13oz??

The 'Dynamic Beads' go by the tire size, ie: a 33" tire takes 8 oz, a 36" tire takes 10 oz.

At least from what I recall.

Looking into this myself, as I just picked up a set of 33 x 13.5 TSL's, and it feels like I'm driving a 'Shiatzu' massage chair:snorkel:

I've heard of guys using golf balls, (not recommended), BB's and soft air pellets.

Best results I've heard/read about for light trucks has been 'Dyna Beads' brand.

Static balancing would be best, but not all shops do it.

alosix

Expedition Leader

They go much further out, so you need a little less.

I've still got a bunch of those in a box (used to be a distributor) can hook you up if you'd like to go that route.

Jason

Patman

Explorer
I used the balance bag setup from Expedition exchange for my current 33x9.50 Dean SXT s on stock 15x6 steelies.

I was surprised at how well it works. I've had it up to an gps indicated 95mph with no vibrations

There are a few draw backs.

1.filtered valve cores are slow to air down
2.if you bust a bead and get water in the tire it may be a mess to clean up.
3.trail wheel repair may cause a loss of powder

None of these are worrisome enough not to use it, not to mention the fact that it negates the need to rebalance for the life of the tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears