Tire repair kits, should I carry one?

Blain

Adventurer
As I'm getting more and more into this, is it a good idea to carry a tire repair kit? Obviously, carry a full size spare. But what if you get another flat?

From what I've read it looks like you can repair the tire on the trail. Is it a permanent fix? Or should you take it to a tire shop after the trip to get it properly fixed? How long does it usually take to repair the tire, from a simple puncture?

I've seen kits from ARB, but not much else. What is a good kit to carry?

Thanks,
Mike

pray4surf

Explorer
By all means. Cheap insurance for simple punctures...

Any commercially available kit will work. The more expensive kits contain better quality tools and a handy carrying pouch. At a minimum, you should have:

Pair of dykes/pliers to remove the offending item (if necessary)
Reamer / rat tail file to clean/clear out the puncture
Insertion tool to insert the plug
Rubber cement
Tire plugs
Dykes / razor blade to trim the plugs 'tails'

Length of time will vary on access to the puncture. With tire off the vehicle, a couple of minutes tops. On the vehicle, the fronts are easier to plug

Some kits may be complemented by tire patches that require dismounting of the tire from the rim so the patch can be applied on the inside.

Oh, and a way to reinflate the tire

soonenough

Explorer
As I'm getting more and more into this, is it a good idea to carry a tire repair kit? Obviously, carry a full size spare. But what if you get another flat?

I've seen kits from ARB, but not much else. What is a good kit to carry?
Seems like cheap insurance to me. I have one for exactly the reason you mentioned - the possibility of getting two flat tires. Last year, I was leaving town after getting off work on a Friday, and noticed that one of my tires was flat when I came out to my truck. Since I was already getting a late start, I thought about just throwing the spare on there and hitting the road. Luckily I decided to go have it properly patched before heading out. I say luckily because little did I know, whatever I'd run over that punctured the front tire had punctured the rear tire as well (stupid me for not checking), and I didn't realize it until I was on the highway. Luckily I still had a working spare. And that didn't even involve any offroad travel. Now I carry a plug kit, a compressor, and a can of Fix-A-Flat at all times just in case.

I have ARB kit and it seems to be decent, but if you want to go all out, this is the most complete kit I've ever seen: http://www.extremeoutback.com/index.cgi?cart_id=9929844.13025&pid=56 No affiliation, but I saw someone post it here a few weeks ago and noticed that it had way more stuff than the ARB kit.

EDIT: As pray4surf mentioned, make sure that you have a pair of pliers or something equivalent to get the object out of your tire. I didn't even think about it when I first got the ARB kit, but most kits I've seen have no tools to help remove whatever's stuck in the tire.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
As long as you have a way to inflate your tire, I feel a tire kit is essential to increasing safety in remote areas. They take up minimal space and help with peace of mind.

The very least you should carry is the full Safety Seal kit. But, for the full compliment of tire repair items, the Ulitmate Tire Repair kit is a good way to go.

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=196

Now if you are looking for the full self sufficient approach, adding some tyre pliers and tyre irons in there will basically make you a mobile tire shop.

Tyre Pliers:
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=840

Tyre Irons: Go with one standard one deluxe
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=197

computeruser

Explorer
Yup, I would suggest you carry one. They can fix all kinds of troubles, for you and for other motorists. Especially if it is just a simple nail/screw - you can fix it without so much as jacking your vehicle up.

Remove foreign object, ream out hole, insert plug, trim flush to/beneath tread, and reinflate.

For the repairs that are cleanly fixed by one or two self-vulcanizing plugs, I'd consider them to be a permanent repair. For other improvised solutions (patches + six or seven plugs in a gash), it probably isn't permanent (unless you replace the tire, in which case it is permanent, but in a different sense).

An ARB plug kit and an MV-50 compressor is pretty good insurance, all for about $80. I've got this setup in my Jeep and in the wife's Focus, and think it's well worth the space and money.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Also, I highly recommend that you practice with Tyre Pliers/Irons at home before going into the field. They are easy to use, but having your first time in the field is never ideal.

rynosurf

Adventurer
I carry a repair kit in my truck and one with me when I ride my quad. I use them all the time, the cheap Wal-mart version works fine and takes up little space.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Blain

I'd suggest the Ultimate Puncture Repair Kit see http://www.adventuretrailers.com/tirerepair.html We also carry the Tyreplyers and Tire Irons.

If you want to learn how to use all this equipment we have 4 Educational Videos at http://www.adventuretrailers.com/tireclinic.html on:
Valve Stem Replacement
Removing the Tire from The Rim
Replacing the Tire onto The Rim
Major Sidewall Repair

Basically the Big 4 repairs should plugging not work or not be applicable.

As you'll see we use these kits and tools on a daily basis and they work well and have come in very handy. The repair kit contains everything you need to get you back on the trail, and the hand tools are not only functional but also high quality.

If you have any questions let me know.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I've carried a tire repair kit instead of a spare tire for a while on my track car. As it turns out, I'm always using it on the wife's, or other people's cars and never my own. I've used it so much, I honestly don't know how this became one of those things where people generally don't know how to make basic tire repairs. It's just another one of those things that is in the domain of "professional" mechanics.

I've heard countless times about how the plugs don't work and you really need a professional repair for $100. Well, I've done about 10 repairs, and never had one of them not work.

I used to carry a can of fix a flat, but found that after trying to use it twice, it just doesn't work.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The tools in the cheap auto store kits are, well, CHEAP. They bend and break at the worst times.

Second, every so often buy new plugs as they melt out and fuse together when stored in a hot vehicle. Buy a new tube of glue at the same time.

njtaco

Explorer
I did not see this mentioned, but having worked in a tire shop for a couple of years in college (not saying "I know it all" by any means) I have the following advice:

Wear safety glasses while repairing tires. This should be obvious, but we all need to be reminded.

Wear quality work gloves. Steel belts will cut/poke right through cheap ones.

I actually had a "cheap" tire repair plug installer split while using it. It would have stabbed right into or through my palm if it were not for the heavy gloves. That brings me to my third point:

Buy a quality kit. If you can find one, a plug installer with an aluminum or steel "T" handle is best, IMHO. The plastic ones, not so good. It was a plastic handle that had split on me and nearly skewered my hand.

Be careful...

ETA:

I have ARB kit and it seems to be decent, but if you want to go all out, this is the most complete kit I've ever seen: http://www.extremeoutback.com/index.cgi?cart_id=9929844.13025&pid=56 No affiliation, but I saw someone post it here a few weeks ago and noticed that it had way more stuff than the ARB kit.

That tire repair kit (I see it is also available at Adventure Trailers and Sierra Expeditions) is VERY complete. It has more in it than many tire shops have on hand... The price seems high at first, but believe me, if the quality is as good as it looks, it WILL be worth it when you need it.

Does anyone have details on the quality of the tools? Martyn? Wil?

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
As long as you have a way to inflate your tire, I feel a tire kit is essential to increasing safety in remote areas. They take up minimal space and help with peace of mind.

The very least you should carry is the full Safety Seal kit. But, for the full compliment of tire repair items, the Ulitmate Tire Repair kit is a good way to go.

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=196

Now if you are looking for the full self sufficient approach, adding some tyre pliers and tyre irons in there will basically make you a mobile tire shop.

Tyre Pliers:
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=840

Tyre Irons: Go with one standard one deluxe
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=197

Thanks for the pointers. What is the "Safety Seal" kit? What is the difference between the standard and deluxe tire irons?

Thanks!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I did not see this mentioned, but having worked in a tire shop for a couple of years in college (not saying "I know it all" by any means) I have the following advice:

Wear safety glasses while repairing tires. This should be obvious, but we all need to be reminded.

Wear quality work gloves. Steel belts will cut/poke right through cheap ones.

I actually had a "cheap" tire repair plug installer split while using it. It would have stabbed right into or through my palm if it were not for the heavy gloves. That brings me to my third point:

Buy a quality kit. If you can find one, a plug installer with an aluminum or steel "T" handle is best, IMHO. The plastic ones, not so good. It was a plastic handle that had split on me and nearly skewered my hand.

Be careful...

ETA:

That tire repair kit (I see it is also available at Adventure Trailers and Sierra Expeditions) is VERY complete. It has more in it than many tire shops have on hand... The price seems high at first, but believe me, if the quality is as good as it looks, it WILL be worth it when you need it.

Does anyone have details on the quality of the tools? Martyn? Will?

I'll second the safety aspect, gloves and glasses a must, as I always say in my tire repair clinic "take your time, stand back and access the situation, wait until the adrenaline has stopped flowing before attempting the repair, safety always comes first.

The quality of the Tyrepliers and Tire Irons is extremely high, the puncture repair kit is also top notch.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
I agree with comments above that if you or someone you are travelling with has a way to inflate the tire, then by all means have a repair kit, cheap insurance.

Another feature that I like and saves time and effort, is most times you can repair the tire while it is still mounted to the vehicle. Often you can hear the air leaking out and push or drive the vehicle forward or backwards to put the hole in a good spot to repair it then and there. I have done this, 9/10 times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998