Tire repair kits, should I carry one?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
asnip

That tire repair kit (I see it is also available at Adventure Trailers and Sierra Expeditions) is VERY complete. It has more in it than many tire shops have on hand... The price seems high at first, but believe me, if the quality is as good as it looks, it WILL be worth it when you need it.
The one tool that I do not see in that kit, and it may be there but too hard to tell from the tiny picture, is a valve stem puller. I've long carried one of the 'speedo wire' type pullers, but I'm thinking of adding a more robust tool to my race/chase tool kit.

njtaco

Explorer
The one tool that I do not see in that kit, and it may be there but too hard to tell from the tiny picture, is a valve stem puller. I've long carried one of the 'speedo wire' type pullers, but I'm thinking of adding a more robust tool to my race/chase tool kit.

They list a 4-way tool, for pulling valve stem cores and chasing threads. The thread chaser can be used (with difficulty, better than pliers though) to install the entire valve in the rim, and I would think the whole valve could be cut from the inside to remove.

What is the "speedo wire" type you referred to? I'm not familiar with that name...

This is the install tool I'm more familiar with...but is not in the kit.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1010003a.jpg
    P1010003a.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I found the descriptions of the deluxe versus standard tire irons so now I see why one of each.

I also watched the very nice A/T videos and saw how the TyrePliers worked.

What is used as the "lubricant", a simple soap & water mix?

To reseat a tire, how high a volume of air is needed? I suspect that a $60 Pep Boys MV-50 may not make the cut. (or my ARB CKMA-12)

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I found the descriptions of the deluxe versus standard tire irons so now I see why one of each.

I also watched the very nice A/T videos and saw how the TyrePliers worked.

What is used as the "lubricant", a simple soap & water mix?

To reseat a tire, how high a volume of air is needed? I suspect that a $60 Pep Boys MV-50 may not make the cut. (or my ARB CKMA-12)

The lubricant I used was soap and water, it works very well. Any liquid helps.

To re-seat the tire on the rim you need to remove the valve from the valve stem and use a flow through air chuck. Flow through air chucks will allow air to pass into the tire without the valve in place. Less expensive air compressors do not usually have flow through chucks.

The volume of air really depends on how well you have the tire up against the bead. As you see in the video I have lubricated the back of the tire and rim and have that side of the tire right up against the bead. I then flip the tire over onto the bucket to get gravity to get the other side of the tire up against the bead.

In this case the amount of air needed is minimal.

As the seal between the tire and bead gets worse the more it leaks and the more volume of air you need. In some cases where the seal is very bad you need a shock wave of air to seal the tire.

The key to all of this is to practice this at home in your garage before you head out on the trail.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I see everyone answered all your questions except "What is a Safety Seal".

Safety Seal is just a company that makes a plug kit. I don't know if it was the first on the Market, but they definitely made a name for themselves by having quality tools and good plugs. Here is their kit. I would consider this the minimal amount of stuff you would want.

http://www.safetyseal.com/store/offroad.htm

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The lubricant I used was soap and water, it works very well. Any liquid helps.

To re-seat the tire on the rim you need to remove the valve from the valve stem and use a flow through air chuck. Flow through air chucks will allow air to pass into the tire without the valve in place. Less expensive air compressors do not usually have flow through chucks.

The volume of air really depends on how well you have the tire up against the bead. As you see in the video I have lubricated the back of the tire and rim and have that side of the tire right up against the bead. I then flip the tire over onto the bucket to get gravity to get the other side of the tire up against the bead.

In this case the amount of air needed is minimal.

As the seal between the tire and bead gets worse the more it leaks and the more volume of air you need. In some cases where the seal is very bad you need a shock wave of air to seal the tire.

The key to all of this is to practice this at home in your garage before you head out on the trail.

Thank you Martyn! It made me wonder if I should pack all of the repair gear in a bucket too! :) That thing was just right for some of the tasks that you demonstrated.

This brings up a more general question about the utility of the kit by itself. Some of the items in the kit pretty much require that you have tire irons, especially valve stem replacement. Nextthing I know the TyrePliers start to look sort of sexy to have too. :)

Basically, if I were to want to do more than put some plugs in some small holes I need some additional tools to go with this very fine kit, right?

I wonder if any vendors will offer any package deals as it is over $300 for two irons, the kit and the TyrePliers.

craig333

Expedition Leader
While you can't go wrong carrying a kit, do you really need it all the time? I think it depends a lot on terrain and distance. Because I'll try tougher terrain in my Jeep it gets the kit all the time. A simple weekend trip to the Sierras in my truck and I figure the spare is adequate insurance. Add more miles and then things like that get thrown in.

Martyn

Thank you Martyn! It made me wonder if I should pack all of the repair gear in a bucket too! :) That thing was just right for some of the tasks that you demonstrated.

This brings up a more general question about the utility of the kit by itself. Some of the items in the kit pretty much require that you have tire irons, especially valve stem replacement. Nextthing I know the TyrePliers start to look sort of sexy to have too. :)

Basically, if I were to want to do more than put some plugs in some small holes I need some additional tools to go with this very fine kit, right?

I wonder if any vendors will offer any package deals as it is over $300 for two irons, the kit and the TyrePliers.

Jim

We carry the Tyrepliers, irons and repair kits because they are simply the best on the market. Unfortunately the wholesale to retail mark up is very low and there just isn't enough to go around. Even as a package deal it doesn't make sense.

Martyn

While you can't go wrong carrying a kit, do you really need it all the time? I think it depends a lot on terrain and distance. Because I'll try tougher terrain in my Jeep it gets the kit all the time. A simple weekend trip to the Sierras in my truck and I figure the spare is adequate insurance. Add more miles and then things like that get thrown in.

I'm the only one at AT who has had punctures.

Both occurred in my garage when I drove over nails!!!!

I'd recommend a plug kit in every vehicle (especially those in the garage).

I'd recommend a full repair kit anytime you are driving off the highway. Remember that although we are prepared some of those traveling with us or who we come across may not be so well equipped.

I'd recommend a full set of tools, Tyreplyers, Standard Iron, Deluxe Iron, for multi-day trips and trips South of the Border.

You only need one set of tools per group of vehicles. See if your club or circle of Expo friends can band together to buy a set.

Blain

Adventurer
WOW! Thanks for all the info guys! Lot's of good info. and tips that I never even thought of. Just have to go through all the info again and build up a good kit.

thanks again!

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
teotwaki,

If tyrepliers are not in the immediate budget you can always you a hi-lift to break the bead. It is definitely not as sexy, but gets the job done. Plug kit, Hi-lift, and some Tyre Irons will do what you need.

Martyn

teotwaki,

If tyrepliers are not in the immediate budget you can always you a hi-lift to break the bead. It is definitely not as sexy, but gets the job done. Plug kit, Hi-lift, and some Tyre Irons will do what you need.

The beadbuster that fits on the Hi-Lift runs around $60.00

But here is the rub. Most tires that have been on the rim for a while need to have the bead broken is multiple areas before they come off the bead. with the Tyreplyers that means I have to work the plyers around the tire and open the jaws up to get the tire loose.

With the bead buster you have to jack the vehicle up to get enough weight to break the bead, then let the Hi-lift down, rotate the tire, jack the vehicle up again, and so on.

I know every time I've done it this way all I can think about is dope slapping myself for not having the Tyrepliers with me.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I totally forgot about the bead buster. That does make using the Hi-lift easier. But, you are correct, the hi-lift is a complete pain compared to the Tyrepliers.

There is a set of tyre pliers with us when we head out as group and I am glad they are there. But, I have practiced with a hi-lift for those times when it is not around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle