Tires - alternative to Michelin XZL's

jfarsang

Adventurer
Looking for alternative's to Michelin XZL's.

in the 32-33" (245/80ish) diam. 15 or 16 " rim size.

Any recommendations ?

Last edited:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
You mean like same tread pattern and construction or by approx. tire dimension?

jfarsang

Adventurer
Pattern and/or construction.

Looking for the most robust and dependable tire I can use for a +year long expedition from Canada to S America and back. Will be going solo and carrying 4 + 2 spares.

Basically 31-32" diameter and around 8-9" width. Rims can always be swapped.

I've used BFG AT's, Silent Armor's and MTR's in the past. All three have been good to us in the long haul. Looking at other options.

There are a lot of tire threads but I can't find one that stands out regarding long-distance 'expedition' type tires.

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Toyo M/T

I strongly recommend the Toyo Open Country M/T because of its high quality, rugged construction. Thick, 3-ply sidewalls, and a 7-ply tread!

Toyo recently added the LT235/85R16 & LT255/85R16 sizes, and also offer a LT265/75R16 or LT245/75R16. These sizes give you a variety of section widths to choose from (9.2 - 10.8") with overall tire heights ranging from 30.7 - 33.5". There is also the LT285/75R16 size but they are a bit wide.

These tires tend to run heavy for their size (Michelin XZLs also) but generally still balance well. They are relatively quiet for their void ratio and construction. The only negatives in my mind are cost (they are expensive) and the E-load-range. Load-range-E tires can be a blessing and a curse. They offer strong, stiff treads and casings but at the cost of flex and ride quality (firmer ride).

Still, because of the construction, sidewall & tread design, and reputation for quality, if I was going off on a true expedition like yours (without support or easy replacement) I would dismount my Maxxis Bighorns or Cooper STs and put on my Toyo M/T 255/85s.

Having given this strong endorsement, I still enjoy other brands and tread designs, and any tire can be damaged or destroyed. Your experiences may be different :)

Specifications

http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/18136.pdf

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires.asp?lpid=18136&name=Open%20Country%20M/T%AE&category=off-road

Look at the 235/85R16 Michelin XPS Traction. All steel casing (steel sidewall), plus 3 more tread steel plies. Readily available in N. America. 235/85R16 and its' narrower doppelganger 7.50R16 are replaceable anywhere. The most common light truck sizes in the world.
The XPS is unusual for 235s in having a steel rather than polyester casing.

Charlie

The Petlas look like a great tire and have a great load capacity but there is the slight problem of an A6 speed rating = 30kph.

Charlie

West Coast Mags

Adventurer
I recenltly went round and round with the same decision looking at 35" Michelin XZLs and XZHs, and every other 35" tire on the market. In the end the MTR won again for me, and I'm planning a similar year off, round NA trip. That would be my recommendation as far as dependability, toughness, traction, cost. Afterall it is for the most part the only tire used by the U.S. Border Patrol and most Govt packaged 4x4's that go to military service or often to departments like the U.S. Forrest Service get fitted with MTRs. Or atleast on the GM 2500HD platform that I am familiar with.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Any thoughts on the BFG KM2. They readily admit they took design cues from the XZL. If you put the treads together, the KM2 looks like the XZL with a few extra sipes cut across the lugs.

shawkins

Adventurer
Beowulf said:
Any thoughts on the BFG KM2. They readily admit they took design cues from the XZL. If you put the treads together, the KM2 looks like the XZL with a few extra sipes cut across the lugs.
I have the KM2's in 255/85R16 and I love them so far. I've put a little over 3K miles on them so far with probably 200 miles offroad. They have good road manners and great traction in lots of different terrain offroad.

Geronimo

Observer
RoverDude said:
This tire is used by most Score Baja racers.... LINK

The Baja's are great tires. I used them on my XJ (33x10.50x15)when I lived in San Felipe and they were perfect for the terrain. However with there tendency to flat spot and extreme pavement wear (they are a race tire). You would need several pairs to make a trip of this length. I am a BFG guy, but I vote for the Toyo's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan