Tires - alternative to Michelin XZL's

gjackson

FRGS
It's really hard to beat the BFG AT as an all around overland tire. The XZLs are great in sand and mud, but they wear very fast on tarmac. You would probably need 2 sets to go down to Tierra del Fuego and back. We travelled with a couple running ATs in Africa and they performed beautifully next to XZLs.

If you want a little more mud aggression, consider the KM2. Not as good at clearing s the MT, but better than the AT. I've been very happy with my KM2s so far. (And they're made by the same people who make XZLs, so they have that going for them :) )

Just my 2c

cheers

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
On your BFG 255/85R16 KM2s -

How many tread plies and what are the materials?

I assume the sidewalls are the BFG standard 3-plies.

shawkins said:
I have the KM2's in 255/85R16 and I love them so far. I've put a little over 3K miles on them so far with probably 200 miles offroad. They have good road manners and great traction in lots of different terrain offroad.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Is this the tire you are talking about? I don't think it's available in the USA (can’t find it on U.S. websites) but it's a serious looking tire.

JimC said:
What about Goodyear G90's?

Attachments

• 1334.jpg
    1334.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 28

jfarsang

Adventurer
I wouldn't recommend G90's at all.... i had a set on my 90, and also chatting with several people who drive with them also (especially military on the wolf's) they arn't that good.

once they get partially worn, they're even worse! the only good time i had with mine was on a side slope, they seemed to grip quite well then, but for everything else, pants!

From Discovery site.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
JimC said:
What about Goodyear G90's?
I wouldn't suggest them. I ran a set on my DIscovery. While they were great off-tarmac, and I wouldn't hesitate to get another set for that, don't even think of running them on pavement, they'll wear out in no time.

LTLDEMONZ

BFGOODRICH makes an excellent tire but expensive called baja t/a. they are made in 2 different tread patterns one that is mostly a street tread looking one that is available on the 16" wheels from 31 -37 inch diameters and the alternate pattern is a aggressive mud terrian looking one that is available on 15" wheels and 31-35 inch diameter(and military uses this pattern in 37x12.5R16.5 but that isn't listed on their website) both types are heavy duty and made for offroad racing yet still be streetable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan