tires recommendations

cr500taco

Adventurer
I am about ready to get new tires for my 97 Tacoma 4WD. I am currently running 31X10.5X15 BFG All Terrains on the stock 7" wide wheels. I really like them and these are my second set. I haven't had any issues with either set and they do well on the street, either dry or wet, dirt and snow. But, just wondering what you guys are running and what do you recommend or are the BFGs good to stay with? My truck is a DD and I use it on trails, dunes and the snow. Not planning on any rock crawling.

Clutch

<---Pass
It is really up to personal preference. I have run BFG AT's and MT's, Goodyear Wrangler MT's, now on Cooper STT's....BFG's seem to get hard about halfway through their life, and performance suffers, especially in the wet. While braking, I have had them slide in wet conditions when loaded down pulling my motorcycle trailer...my Coopers feel like suction cups in comparison. Probably because of the softer compound, they'll wear a little quicker...looks like I am getting roughly 40K miles out of them. By far the best performing tire I have ever owned.

However...my life is changing here this summer, where my commute is going to be longer and moving to a colder state, so I am going with a less aggressive tire. Either Yokohama AT-S or Cooper AT3's, both are supposed to be excellent in snow...can't decide on what to get. Leaning towards the Yokohamas since I will have to buy new rims for the Coopers, since they don't make a 32X11.5/15 size.

cr500taco

Adventurer
It is really up to personal preference. I have run BFG AT's and MT's, Goodyear Wrangler MT's, now on Cooper STT's....BFG's seem to get hard about halfway through their life, and performance suffers, especially in the wet. While braking, I have had them slide in wet conditions when loaded down pulling my motorcycle trailer...my Coopers feel like suction cups in comparison. Probably because of the softer compound, they'll wear a little quicker...looks like I am getting roughly 40K miles out of them. By far the best performing tire I have ever owned.

However...my life is changing here this summer, where my commute is going to be longer and moving to a colder state, so I am going with a less aggressive tire. Either Yokohama AT-S or Cooper AT3's, both are supposed to be excellent in snow...can't decide on what to get. Leaning towards the Yokohamas since I will have to buy new rims for the Coopers, since they don't make a 32X11.5/15 size.

thanks for the input.

I was looking into getting the 32x11.5x15 BFG ATs, but I will need to get new wheels, since mine will be too narrow.

Clutch

<---Pass
thanks for the input.

I was looking into getting the 32x11.5x15 BFG ATs, but I will need to get new wheels, since mine will be too narrow.

You're welcome

You can run those on 7" wide rims...I have been doing it for years. No problems.

taco.jpg

Last edited:

marathonracer

Adventurer
Having run through a few different tires... I'd say if you like the BFG AT stick with it. I keep coming back to it as long as you understand it limitations as an AT (mud= racing slick) you are all set. I loved the 33 10.5 15s KM2s I ran on my Tacoma but they were down right scary in the winter on packed snow or ice so I have returned to the AT.

All that being said if you'd like to buy me a set of duratracs or ST Maxx to try out for you and report back :smiley_drive: I'd be okay with that :ylsmoke:

deadbeat son

Explorer
I have run BFG AT's and MT's, Goodyear Wrangler MT's, now on Cooper STT's....BFG's seem to get hard about halfway through their life, and performance suffers, especially in the wet. While braking, I have had them slide in wet conditions when loaded down pulling my motorcycle trailer...my Coopers feel like suction cups in comparison.

Have you had the Coopers long enough to see if they harden up over time? I had a set if the old Cooper ST (pre-Maxx) on my Tacoma, and they got hard and slippery about half-way through the usable treadlife (between new and wear bars). I switched back to the BFG AT after the Coopers.

Tires, like shoes, seem to be largely personal preference. After buying Kumho MTs, BFG MTs, Yokohama ATs, Cooper STs, Pirelli ATs, and Goodyear Wrangler ATs, I always find myself switching back to the BFG AT. For me, it seems to be the best all around tire I have found. But the key is, for me.

marathonracer

Adventurer
Yeah I think they do only come in E... I have a tundra now so a little heavier than my old Tacoma. I'm running Ds now but I did run some E's on my taco- I didn't think it was that bad of a ride

Clutch

<---Pass
Have you had the Coopers long enough to see if they harden up over time?

These are about done, I might have another month worth of life on them....this set hasn't hardened up. They still preform fairly well. We recently did a run that had 150 miles in the dirt, only had to put it in 4WD once, and only did that so I wouldn't have any tire spin. Very impressed with this tires. My buddy that was with me, was blown away how well they worked. He wants a Tacoma now too...couldn't get over how well that little truck wheels.

However, going to something less aggressive for my new set, I always wanted to try Yokohama Geolander AT-S...might not look as cool, but wanting something quieter on the pavement.

I had a couple scary events in the BFG AT's while wet....nothing like sliding through a redlight...did that couple times, decided those tires gotta go.

Have run BFG's for about 25 years on different vehicles. While I like them, don't mind trying different things. You're right it is a very personal thing and what works the best for that person. BFG AT's will probably get the most miles out of them. I did not like the BFG MT's in the snow....the Cooper STT's were awesome! Downside they are a little loud, and hard to keep them wearing even. Rotate every 5000 miles seems to help.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah I think they do only come in E... I have a tundra now so a little heavier than my old Tacoma. I'm running Ds now but I did run some E's on my taco- I didn't think it was that bad of a ride

That makes sense, hard to get the E's to bulge when you air them down on a Tacoma, don't you have to run them at 65 psi, as to not void the warranty?

poriggity

Explorer
I will say this. I put some Yokohama ats on my wife's hyundai Tucson, wanted something that will last and do well in winter. 10k miles later, they still look new. These are great tires IMHO. That being said, I want something more aggressive for my truck, and I am looking heavily at the Cooper stt.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I will say this. I put some Yokohama ats on my wife's hyundai Tucson, for set hing that will last and do well in winter. 10k miles later, they still look new. These are great tires IMHO.

Cool, I have been reading up on them, getting good reviews...and will do everything that I want. I save the crazy stuff for the dirt bike...don't really need a super aggressive tire anymore. Got a price quote from Jack Furriers, $800 for 32's...seemed like a decent deal to me.

They don't look half bad either. believe this is MartinJmprs old Taco.

Newtires02.jpg

Last edited:

poriggity

Explorer
Cool, I have been reading up on them, getting good reviews...and will do everything that I want. I save the crazy stuff for the dirt bike...don't really need a super aggressive tire anymore. Got a price quote from Jack Furriers, $800 for 32's...seemed like a decent deal to me.

They don't look half bad either. believe this is MartinJmprs old Taco.

Newtires02.jpg

If I didn't want something more aggressive for my truck in the next tire go around, the Yokohama's would go on it

Clutch

<---Pass
If I didn't want something more aggressive for my truck in the next tire go around, the Yokohama's would go on it

Yeah it seems like I am going in the opposite direction.

They don't look half bad on a long travel truck either.

157137d1340582587-2000-tacoma-prerunner-camberg-lt-linked-dd-tacoma8.jpg

Last edited:

olypenjeeper

I currently run cooper ST Maxx's on my T100 and really like them. I didn't notice a difference going from C load Toyo MT's to these E load as far as harsh ride. They are much more quiet than my Toyo's, and those were really quiet for a mud tire. I run 235/85r16's and I'm running about 35 psi all around.

With my old 05 tacoma, I ran Nitto Terra grapplers for a few years and really liked them. They were good in the snow, sand and wet roads. They had impressive tread life, sold that taco and the tires had about 35k on them, still half tread.

I looked closely at the goodyear duratracs too before pulling the trigger on the coopers. 691 shipped on discount tire direct, 60 bucks to mount and balance on at my local tire place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78