Tires? Tires? Tires?

Land Runner

Observer
95 Classic w OME 2" lift. 285/75/16 or
265/75/16 or any other suggestions. Have not determined at or mt. Please help. I am in the final stages of this quick rebuild. All that is left is paint , a few minor electronic issues and roof liner.. The simple parts are becoming the hard ones. Mechanics=simple it works or doesnt cosmetic is a matter of personal preference, but who's!?

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Well 285 is the width, the second number is the aspect ratio. Generally the higher the second number, the skinnier the tire, but that's not always the case.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Memphis, TN? If you plan on doing any amount of off roading, go with a MT. Here in the south, when it rains just a little, trails become super slick. MTs will give you a chance on hillclimbs and other obstacles.

If not, I've heard good things about the Duratracs. Of course BFG ATs are the gold standard (also the BFG MTs are great on road MTs). Toyo is making some good tires as well, however I don't have any experience with them.

Hate to say it but for southeast wheeling, the Goodyear MTRKs haven't been impressive. Out west they seem to be great but here they clog up with mud very quickly.

Howski

I'm not sure you can fit a 285/75 on just a 2" lift without substantial rubbing or trimming. A 265/75/16 or skinnier 235/85/16 would probably be better suited. A 285/75 is almost 33" while the 265/75 and 235/85 are just under 32".

As LR_Max mentioned, I'd suggest something atleast as agressive as a Goodyear Duratrac if you plan on wheeling it. You really benefit from agressive tires with all the mud here in the SE.

Red90

Adventurer
All those size require trimming. A simple spring lift will not affect the amount of trimming needed.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
265/75R16 will fit with no or essentially no trimming. Maybe a slight "adjustment" to the inner wheel arch in the rear door area, but not to the sheetmetal itself.

tombodad

Adventurer
Memphis, TN? If you plan on doing any amount of off roading, go with a MT. Here in the south, when it rains just a little, trails become super slick. MTs will give you a chance on hillclimbs and other obstacles.

If not, I've heard good things about the Duratracs. Of course BFG ATs are the gold standard (also the BFG MTs are great on road MTs). Toyo is making some good tires as well, however I don't have any experience with them.

Hate to say it but for southeast wheeling, the Goodyear MTRKs haven't been impressive. Out west they seem to be great but here they clog up with mud very quickly.

While I can't speak to tire size/lift combinations on the Disco, I wholeheartedly agree on Duratracs. They are, by far, the best "in-between" tire I have ever used. I have had them on a full-size pickup, a mid-size pickup, and now on the Disco II. Quiet and stable on the road. Great on packed snow, ice, and standing water. Durable and long-lasting. Clear mud wonderfully. AWESOME tires. Really, the ONLY negative thing I can say about them is that the siping does not go all the way through the treadblock, meaning when they are worn to about 30% remaining, they lost a bit of their rock/ice performance. I typically replace my tires (or rotate them to a different vehicle) when they are at that point in their life anyways, so for me, it's not a big deal.

LR Max

Local Oaf
While I can't speak to tire size/lift combinations on the Disco, I wholeheartedly agree on Duratracs. They are, by far, the best "in-between" tire I have ever used. I have had them on a full-size pickup, a mid-size pickup, and now on the Disco II. Quiet and stable on the road. Great on packed snow, ice, and standing water. Durable and long-lasting. Clear mud wonderfully. AWESOME tires. Really, the ONLY negative thing I can say about them is that the siping does not go all the way through the treadblock, meaning when they are worn to about 30% remaining, they lost a bit of their rock/ice performance. I typically replace my tires (or rotate them to a different vehicle) when they are at that point in their life anyways, so for me, it's not a big deal.

Good input there. For light trail riding the duratracs seem to be good, especially with wet trails. Only thing that concerns me is the sidewalls but for most trail duty this isn't a problem. Also have heard that they are noisier on the road than street tires (big surprise!) and do very well in the snow/ice (as per the owner of a JK unlimited who is my friend in NY has claimed).

As you can tell, I cannot comment on the actual tire size but hopefully can provide input on brand/model.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Land Runner: You should be able to find BF Goodrich All Terrains in 265/75/16 for roughly $205 a tire. D

Eniam17

Adventurer
I have also had good luck with the General Grabber AT2's. If you can't find or don't want to get the BFG AT's, the AT2's have a similar tread pattern and have been great on the road and for moderate off roading. They are wearing great on my LR3 and if they wear great on and LR3 they should wear great on anything. I look forward to seeing this classic when it's ready to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears