Titan spare tire replacement fuel tank

Dalko43

Explorer
I’m sure it will be fine considering how many work trucks have slip tanks in northern climates with exposed pumps

I worked out in the dakotas we ran external tanks in the beds of our trucks. Never had any problems, just treat it with some howes and we were off

Where are the fuel pumps located for those in-bed auxiliary tanks?

I'm just noting that the fuel pump is exposed for the spare-tire tank. The Aussies generally keep their fuel pumps in the fuel tank to avoid that very issue.

Maybe it's not an issue in reality, but, in concept, I'd prefer to have a the fuel pump enclosed in a safe location rather than exposed on the frame rail.

Chandlerdoom

Observer

I'm just noting that the fuel pump is exposed for the spare-tire tank. The Aussies generally keep their fuel pumps in the fuel tank to avoid that very issue.

Maybe it's not an issue in reality, but, in concept, I'd prefer to have a the fuel pump enclosed in a safe location rather than exposed on the frame rail.

They can be inside the tank but usually in line pumps or they are in combination of where the filler sits, almost always exposed in one way or another. Titan provides a inline pump with the spare tire auxiliary, you can easily shield exposed pumps from debris if that’s your concern

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer

There are thousands of vehicles running around with frame rail mounted fuel pumps. If it does die at some point after 50 or 100,000 miles you can swap it out in an Autozone parking lot in 20 minutes and be on your way. Really a non-issue.

I'd prefer to have the additional 30 gallons and take the risk, frankly.

Explorerinil

Observer
There are thousands of vehicles running around with frame rail mounted fuel pumps. If it does die at some point after 50 or 100,000 miles you can swap it out in an Autozone parking lot in 20 minutes and be on your way. Really a non-issue.

I'd prefer to have the additional 30 gallons and take the risk, frankly.
Yeah your right, the pump is an easy swap. I know a few guys running air dog and fasssystems on their trucks for years with no issues. Having an extra 30 gallons of diesel will be nice, espically in remote areas or Canada where fuel is expensive.

There's only a couple of parts in the kit that aren't universal. The pump is $15 on Amazon. Titan forgot to include a gas cap in my kit so I replaced it with an '01 F150 ratcheting, sealed cap.

Explorerinil

Observer
There's only a couple of parts in the kit that aren't universal. The pump is $15 on Amazon. Titan forgot to include a gas cap in my kit so I replaced it with an '01 F150 ratcheting, sealed cap.
You have this kit? Can you post a few pics? Where did you install the filler?

Does it look like you need to run the filler door or can you go without it? I’m limited for space in my bed with my decked system.

The kit is designed to use the filler door. I'm sure you could fit your own inlet though, you just need to research the filler spout and port. Again, they are all universal parts so as long as the spout fits the inlet tube and seals you can do whatever you want. Reference the parts and pictures in the instructions to get an idea of what you're working with. These kits are painfully simple.

I have to mount through the body because I have a cap on my bed.

Kingsize24

Does it look like you need to run the filler door or can you go without it? I’m limited for space in my bed with my decked system.

What if you ran the filler neck into the topper, then fab your own setup down to the tank. That is what I am leaning towards the more I look into this.

Just run it from one of these fuel filler cups, into the topper, then through the bed and over to the tank under the bed.

12025.25.jpgDodge40b_zpse8a68f4f.jpgDodge41a_zpsb886d8de.jpg20181231_212549.jpg

And that is less ugly or intrusive than what comes in the kit? I cut out 3" of the body to fit 40's, I'm thinking the aftermarket filler door through the rear fender isn't going to be the end of the world.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
I am back and forth on getting one for my 2006. It would be easy since I dont have a spare under my truck but that extra fuel running off road is a lot of weight. I know a guy up in Canada that ran the filler neck up to the rear panel between the tail light and wheel well. Just not sure if it is worth the money or not, would be great for long trips that is for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle