Titan spare tire replacement fuel tank

Explorerinil

Observer
I am back and forth on getting one for my 2006. It would be easy since I dont have a spare under my truck but that extra fuel running off road is a lot of weight. I know a guy up in Canada that ran the filler neck up to the rear panel between the tail light and wheel well. Just not sure if it is worth the money or not, would be great for long trips that is for sure.
Where did he exit it? Your right it’s allot of extra weight, but you don’t need to fill it. When I go to Canada I like to explore abandoned logging roads so extra fuel is a must for me.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
Where did he exit it? Your right it’s allot of extra weight, but you don’t need to fill it. When I go to Canada I like to explore abandoned logging roads so extra fuel is a must for me.

Between the tail light and the wheel well, here is a picture so you can see the second filler neck.

Attachments

• 24210123_10159612349845394_9019017331518296608_o.jpg
    24210123_10159612349845394_9019017331518296608_o.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 75
That is the standard location from the instructions. Landon has (had) glass fenders which provide more clearance between the outer fender and the inner fender.

Dalko43

Explorer
I am back and forth on getting one for my 2006. It would be easy since I dont have a spare under my truck but that extra fuel running off road is a lot of weight. I know a guy up in Canada that ran the filler neck up to the rear panel between the tail light and wheel well. Just not sure if it is worth the money or not, would be great for long trips that is for sure.

"Worth" is a subjective term.

A cheap method would be to store jerry cans in the bed.
If you want to preserve your bedspace for other purposes, a bigger midship tank and/or auxiliary tank could prove useful. A lot of people find their spare tire position useless anyways, since the bigger aftermarket tires won't fit there. The added weight won't be a big deal; after accounting for the weight of the spare tire, you're maybe adding 200lbs worth of equipment and fuel....that weight probably helps more than it hurts since it puts more weight in the rear of an already front-heavy truck.

And I can attest that you will want extra fuel when exploring some of the remote Canadian logging roads.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Why even bother with a filler at all?

Add a clunk to each tank, with a pump in the middle. Flip a switch to pump into the aux tank, from the main. Stop at gas station to fill up normally. Reverse the pump later in the day to top off the main tank.

Airplanes do such, in flight, all of the time.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Your bed is a 8' right?(I think all Tradesman's are 8' beds? Maybe I'm wrong- if so my bad!) I thought the Decked systems (for 8' beds) left a gap at the cab. In any event- if you DO have that gap (I think its like 15-18"?) you could do a regular "think" transfer tank in the bed no? Then tie it into the filler neck of your stock tank and be GTG. There's a bunch of companies that make a transfer tank that would fit- RDS etc. Again- if you have the shortbed then my bad.

Explorerinil

Observer
Your bed is a 8' right?(I think all Tradesman's are 8' beds? Maybe I'm wrong- if so my bad!) I thought the Decked systems (for 8' beds) left a gap at the cab. In any event- if you DO have that gap (I think its like 15-18"?) you could do a regular "think" transfer tank in the bed no? Then tie it into the filler neck of your stock tank and be GTG. There's a bunch of companies that make a transfer tank that would fit- RDS etc. Again- if you have the shortbed then my bad.
It’s a 6.5 bed, not a long bed. The decked system fills the entire bed length wise. Yes the truck is a tradesman.

Wilbah

Adventurer
It’s a 6.5 bed, not a long bed. The decked system fills the entire bed length wise. Yes the truck is a tradesman.

Ah...gotcha...my bad. Sorry! Thought I had a solution for you. Not sure I would want to cut up the bed for the access either. You're dead set against Jerry cans? :)

Explorerinil

Observer
Ah...gotcha...my bad. Sorry! Thought I had a solution for you. Not sure I would want to cut up the bed for the access either. You're dead set against Jerry cans? :)
I’m not set against cans, I’ve done that for years. I’m just tired of a bunch of gas cans laying around the bed of my truck and having a factory spare tire I cannot use. Just makes sense to me to get a tank in place of a spare I can’t use.

Boz

Observer
I haven't looked at any install instructions or videos, but I'm wondering if the filler could be mounted behind the license plate? Put the plate on a hinge.

Edit: It's probably too low actually now that I think about it.

Last edited:

Wilbah

Adventurer
I’m not set against cans, I’ve done that for years. I’m just tired of a bunch of gas cans laying around the bed of my truck and having a factory spare tire I cannot use. Just makes sense to me to get a tank in place of a spare I can’t use.

I get that. I just hate the cost of the Titan ones. I saw you said you had an option that was "less" costly, which would be good- their list of $2K for 30 gals is nuts IMO. I feel the same about their extended factory tanks that replace stock tanks. I wonder if this is one of those things you put on a long term CL watch and just bide your time?

I am with you on the extra fuel and how great that is. I had a metal 40 gal tank in a K10 back 100 years ago and it was great to not be able to outdrive the truck (based on fuel). Also to be able to plan for cheaper fuel fill-ups. But at $2K (or anything thereabouts) it would take forever to pay for itself (not that that's the whole reason to get it I understand, but its always nice if you can kill two birds with one stone).

Another alternative might be a flat auxiliary tank that goes on top of the decked system behind the cab. Something like this:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...-v2nYzujHvusLRc4sU_NgMtYb-9YZBOEaAtE5EALw_wcB

It's 9" tall so wouldn't stick up too much. You could mount the fill through the cap like Kingsize did and tie it in to your stock tank for transfer. And a lot cheaper than the spare space. Just a thought. Good luck!

Explorerinil

Observer
I get that. I just hate the cost of the Titan ones. I saw you said you had an option that was "less" costly, which would be good- their list of $2K for 30 gals is nuts IMO. I feel the same about their extended factory tanks that replace stock tanks. I wonder if this is one of those things you put on a long term CL watch and just bide your time?

I am with you on the extra fuel and how great that is. I had a metal 40 gal tank in a K10 back 100 years ago and it was great to not be able to outdrive the truck (based on fuel). Also to be able to plan for cheaper fuel fill-ups. But at $2K (or anything thereabouts) it would take forever to pay for itself (not that that's the whole reason to get it I understand, but its always nice if you can kill two birds with one stone).

Another alternative might be a flat auxiliary tank that goes on top of the decked system behind the cab. Something like this:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_541559_541559?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Fuel Transfer + Lubrication > Fuel Tanks > Auxiliary-Transfer Tank + Toolb&utm_campaign=RDS&utm_content=349004&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1NbhBRCBARIsAKOTmUsPRSkjMfHLfeCDQIF39Jy-v2nYzujHvusLRc4sU_NgMtYb-9YZBOEaAtE5EALw_wcB

It's 9" tall so wouldn't stick up too much. You could mount the fill through the cap like Kingsize did and tie it in to your stock tank for transfer. And a lot cheaper than the spare space. Just a thought. Good luck!
I got the titan tank for allot less than 2k. I like the idea of just pushing a button and transferring fuel into the main tank while driving down the road.

D

Deleted member 9101

Why not mount a fuel cell? They are safe, inexpensive, and come in a ton of sizes.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I got the titan tank for allot less than 2k. I like the idea of just pushing a button and transferring fuel into the main tank while driving down the road.
Good to know the listed price is not what they actually sell for. Although it makes me wonder how many get turned off by that price on their website and dont look to find them elsewhere. The transfer tank I referenced can do the same thing set up properly (transfer it as needed) which I agree would be a good thing. In my old truck I just ran the 40 gallon dry and then knew I had 16 gallons to find fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle