To downsize, or not

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I have a problem....I'm sure there are those who would be happy enough to have this issue, but here it goes.

I have a BMW 1200 GS Adventure. I started out (with the Beemer line) with a used 650 Dakar, and upgraded to an barely used 1150 Adventure. A lot of miles (single and two up) followed.

I made the mistake of riding the new 1200 Adventure and found it to be every upgrade I had been looking to do. Luckily the $$ worked and I was able to do the upgrade. Well, you know what happened next...I started looking at the street models and found a nice used BMW RT1150. It was nice for my wife and I to take if we went on a street only trip, but I found I longed for the dual sport options.

Recently, I took a look at the BMW 650 XChallenge. I found out Touratech makes a set of smaller hard bags for the bike, and there are a few things to add without going crazy. Attached are a few pics from an Africa trip Touratech took to try out the new BMW 800 GS, and the other bike was the XChallenge.

I have a line on a new '07 XChallenge which would be a basic straight trade for my RT. It seems every time I trade off a bike I have regrets down the line.

I guess what I'm looking for is any feedback on those who have purchased the XChallenge to see what they're thoughts might be.

Last edited:

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I guess I should add the fact I have a Sportsmobile. I can tow a motorcycle with a single folding motorcycle trailer I bought a few years ago, but I was interested in having a hitch mounted motorcycle rail, and there is no way I'm putting the 1200GS Adv up there (yes there is a 1000 lb rated one).

Here's our van...

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
X Challenge

A great bike, but what do you want it for. As an adventure tourer it has some deficiencies, the seat will be a killer after a couple of hours, the alternator is only 280 watts, forget about heated grip and a vest, not to mention auxiliary lights and the gas tank is puny.

Except for the alternator, money can solve the others. Prior to buying my Dakar, I considered outfitting an X Challenge, but soon realized that I would have tied a lot of money up in modifications and the X still wouldn't be as good a long distance bike as the Dakar. Though it would be great off road.

Jim

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
jfm_stl said:
A great bike, but what do you want it for. As an adventure tourer it has some deficiencies, the seat will be a killer after a couple of hours, the alternator is only 280 watts, forget about heated grip and a vest, not to mention auxiliary lights and the gas tank is puny.

Except for the alternator, money can solve the others. Prior to buying my Dakar, I considered outfitting an X Challenge, but soon realized that I would have tied a lot of money up in modifications and the X still wouldn't be as good a long distance bike as the Dakar. Though it would be great off road.

Jim

My 1200 Adv does everything for the long distances. I was looking for something to explore some of the more extreme single tracks and backcountry. I'll admit I've had my Adv down some trails I shouldn't have, and I'll still go offroading with it, but there's some places I just don't want to take the big bike.

I have always been a fan of the Dakar race bikes. I've noticed Touratech offers (or is soon to offer) some add ons to get it close to that look. I own my bikes so I don't have to think about payments. I was hoping to lay out a schedule for one, or two, add ons a year until it was finished.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Interesting dilemna as I am also just shopping for a bike right now...and the
R1200GS adventure is high on my list.

I would say keep the adventure and get a DRZ400 for these single tracks...you can get one for $4000, have fun for a while and sell it for the same price once you're done.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
That's a tough one. It would depend on what you do more, long hauls or short spirited single tracks. I say get another bike like the DRZ and keep the big Bimmer.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Just wanted to make sure there's no misunderstanding. The GS Adv is going nowhere. It's spot in the garage is guaranteed. The RT is the one who's days may be numbered.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I was in a similar situation last year: GS and RT in the garage but wanted a smaller trail bike.

I looked at the X Challenge and it did nothing for me. I'm a HUGE BMW fan but found myself unimpressed with an unproven, non-groundbreaking, relatively expensive "dirt bike" with little aftermarket support. IMHO- the DRz is a better choice. If the Japanese bikes don't interest you, how about the KTM 690? That bike makes me drool.

BTW- I sold the RT but still haven't chosen a smaller bike. I'm KICKING myself for getting rid of the RT. Be careful!;)

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Don't downsize...keep them all...pick up a used DRZ/XRL/DR for some trail work...and save several thousand over the Xchallenge...for the difference you could find a cool airhead to add to the collection....

...not helping much, I know....:drool:

-H-

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Hltoppr said:
Don't downsize...keep them all...pick up a used DRZ/XRL/DR for some trail work...and save several thousand over the Xchallenge...for the difference you could find a cool airhead to add to the collection....

...not helping much, I know....:drool:

-H-

If only it were that easy...But then again I'd probably have one for rainy days, one for sunny days, yadda yadda yadda....You could see where this could go, and unfortunately so can my wife.

At this point I'm leaning toward trading in the RT for the XChallenge as its really no $$ out of my pocket. I've found about 5 items in the new '08 Touratech catalogue, and I've found a nice hitch mounted carrier for it to ride on the back of our Sportsmobile.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Well, now we have a twist....I was going over some of the articles on the XChallenge, and they all seemed to be associated with the new F800GS. I got to see one at the Long Beach motorcycle show, and I liked the look, but at the time I was not really looking for something new.

After tallying up the $$ for upgrades on the XChallenge I was about in the range of the 800, and I still would not have a place for a second person on the XChallenge.

I got a little more serious in looking and crunching the numbers. The 800 is about 70 lbs. heavier than the XChallenge, but thats also comparing the 2.5 gallon tank (w/reserve) to the 4.2 gallons on the 800. The weight is still within the limits of the hitch mounted tray. The 800 has the pegs for a second person, and the controls are exactly like by GS Adv so no figuring things out going back and forth on the bikes (the XChallenge is set up slightly different). The only thing I would have to get is a set of Touratech hard bags, but I would have to do that with the XChallenge anyway.

The RT is down at the local dealer on consignment and a deposit is forthcoming for the 800....

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Good choice! I'm kinda jealous...but I love my GS Adv. too much...

I expect to see pics as soon as you pick the 800 up!

-H-

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
You know I'm jealous too J, I would like a 800 to compliment my 1150!

cobblecrazy said:
RT sold within a day...:victory: Hold $$ officially put down on the F800GS.:roost:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I don't have experience with the adv touring bikes like the GS, but after having a motocross, enduro street biased, enduro dirt biased bikes I realize that there is just no way to have one do it all.
If you can afford it keep your larger GS and get a smaller gs or a smaller ktm or similar for different kinds of riding. :friday:
That's what I'll do when I figure out how to rig the lottery. :D

cobblecrazy said:
I have a problem....I'm sure there are those who would be happy enough to have this issue, but here it goes.

I have a BMW 1200 GS Adventure. I started out (with the Beemer line) with a used 650 Dakar, and upgraded to an barely used 1150 Adventure. A lot of miles (single and two up) followed.

I made the mistake of riding the new 1200 Adventure and found it to be every upgrade I had been looking to do. Luckily the $$ worked and I was able to do the upgrade. Well, you know what happened next...I started looking at the street models and found a nice used BMW RT1150. It was nice for my wife and I to take if we went on a street only trip, but I found I longed for the dual sport options.

Recently, I took a look at the BMW 650 XChallenge. I found out Touratech makes a set of smaller hard bags for the bike, and there are a few things to add without going crazy. Attached are a few pics from an Africa trip Touratech took to try out the new BMW 800 GS, and the other bike was the XChallenge.

I have a line on a new '07 XChallenge which would be a basic straight trade for my RT. It seems every time I trade off a bike I have regrets down the line.

I guess what I'm looking for is any feedback on those who have purchased the XChallenge to see what they're thoughts might be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior