To downsize, or not

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
KTM 990 Adventure S

I would like to know what people think of this bike. Either in the "S" version, or the regular 990 Adventure. I rode one this afternoon, and I can definitely see the dirt bike heritage in the ride and design. Some other things I really liked was the simplicity of the design and the quality of the suspension.

Looking for input.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
If life is anything its about change....There I was minding my own business and looking for a pair of boots when I came across something very interesting. It's not like I have not been looking at the KTMs, but this was an unintentional encounter.

I took a test ride on the KTM 990 Adventure...well, I rode the S version first. I rode the "regular" version second and I knew this was the way to go. The only difference was color and about 2" of travel.

In the end I made the decision to not wait for the 800GS as I really don't know what the ride would be like, and in the end I still have the 1200GS Adv for my Beemer fix. I could see the dirt bike heritage in the ride of the KTM, and the simplicity and quality appeared to be top notch.

I was able to walk out the door with the 990 KTM Adventure, crash bars, and the 35L boxes (they're Touratech w/a KTM logo) and frame for a really good price.

Here are the premilinary pictures.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
The KTM Adventure is a very nice bike but Im curious what you feel you gained over the BMW? It the end you still have a 500+ pound bike.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
LandCruiserPhil said:
The KTM Adventure is a very nice bike but Im curious what you feel you gained over the BMW? It the end you still have a 500+ pound bike.
+1

As I mentioned elsewhere, I went from the KTM950 to the 1200GS. Owning a 990 and a 1200 seems redundant. The KTM is better on dirt but not THAT much better. IMO- The RT would've made for a better combo with the 990.:confused:

Regardless... CONGRATS on the new bike!

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
HMR said:
+1

As I mentioned elsewhere, I went from the KTM950 to the 1200GS. Owning a 990 and a 1200 seems redundant. The KTM is better on dirt but not THAT much better. IMO- The RT would've made for a better combo with the 990.:confused: QUOTE=HMR]

My 1200 Adventure does most everything my RT did with the added ability to hit the dirt roads. Everytime we took the RT along on our trips I would always be wishing I brought the Adv instead.

The smaller bike was to put on the back of our Sportsmobile on a motorcycle tray. I am installing a class IV hitch for a sportbike carrier (600 lb capacity) so we can take it along.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
LandCruiserPhil said:

The GS Adv was just too big (pounds and wide) to put up on the tray (see above).

Also I like the dirt bike heritage of the KTM for the purpose I was looking at which was smaller trails and something which was a little easier to throw around. The Beemer is still the best bike around for adventure touring, and now I think I have one for all occasions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior