To LR4 from JKUR? Need advice...

nick325i

Adventurer
I would do the certified 11'. The new 5.0 is a good motor but I did have a leaky water pump that I hear is common and they are known to need cam chain tensioners as well; once they are replaced with the new parts you should be good for a long time. The piece of mind is nice too plus a 11' and 12' are the same.

Do they both have the HD package? That might help you decide too.

A.J.M

Explorer
Do they have the 6 and 8 speed gearboxes for the petrols?
The 12 diesels changed from the 6 speed to the 8 speed with better performance, improved mpg and lower emissions. A 12 sits in a lower road tax bracket than an 11 does over here, even though they are the same engine.

What's the colour schemes for the cars, which one do you like better?

nick325i

Adventurer
They started using the 8 speed over here in 2014 I believe with the new SC V6. The 11' and 12' are both 6 speed.

LL247

Observer
They started using the 8 speed over here in 2014 I believe with the new SC V6. The 11' and 12' are both 6 speed.

They are both mechanically similar, neither have the HD package unfortunately. I'm leaning towards the '11 since it's coming from a LR dealer with certified status and it's less money...however the '12 is on my friend's lot and I don't want to offend him. Plus, the '12 is within factory warranty and, with my profession being an automobile finance manager, I can put an extended warranty on at cost. The certified will be too costly for that. We shall see, I'm going to take the '12 home tomorrow night and put a few miles on it, then see what kind of price break I can get.

A.J.M

Explorer
Thank you for that. Wasn't sure, as the general feeling here is to get the 8 speed if you are debating between the 2 of them.

OP, the fact you have the wife fully on board with the idea is a good one. Enjoy the car, it should meet your needs very well.

LL247

Observer
I have to admit though, there is ONE bit that makes me a bit nervous now that I have the full go-ahead. Being a 'Jeep guy' for so many years, I have no issues working on them and have grown to know their behaviors quite well. The LR4 is going to be the first vehicle in a long time that I'll know nothing about, has me a little concerned. I don't like driving something I can't fix... However I'm pretty sure after a few hours in the drivers seat it'll be hard to let it go!

Eniam17

Adventurer
The lr4 is no more complex than a new grand cherokee(but having owned an lr3 and a wk2, I can tell you the Rovers are wayyyyy better ;). You won't be disappointed .

Love my LR4.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421115652109.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421115652109.jpg
    632 KB · Views: 26
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421115766149.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421115766149.jpg
    613.5 KB · Views: 26
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421115947398.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421115947398.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 27

LL247

Observer
I think I'm just getting the jitters making such a big move. Normally it wouldn't bother me if I was trading out of a 3 or 4 year old vehicle, but taking a hit from a 3 month old purchase is one of those 'you better be sure' decisions. To make absolutely sure, going to pick up the '12 at my friend's lot and keep it for a day. That way I'll get some real seat time to eliminate any doubts. I think what's bothering me the most are the prices on the extended warranties, even my cost is mind blowing! Have to factor that in since I'll never drive anything without warranty protection.

LL247

Observer
Update: Wife Is pushing the LR Certified 11 LR4 with 37k because she likes the silver color w black interior. I am pushing for my buddy's 12 LR4 with 27k in factory warranty, white with tan interior (the wife hates). To keep the numbers simple, yes the 12 is more expensive...but factoring trade numbers and all, the bottom line a $5k difference to go with the 12. Pulling a power move on this one I think...

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Update: Wife Is pushing the LR Certified 11 LR4 with 37k because she likes the silver color w black interior. I am pushing for my buddy's 12 LR4 with 27k in factory warranty, white with tan interior (the wife hates). To keep the numbers simple, yes the 12 is more expensive...but factoring trade numbers and all, the bottom line a $5k difference to go with the 12. Pulling a power move on this one I think...

While I am not a fan of the sliver, I have seen a silver LR4 pulling a Moby1 trailer and it was an awesome looking rig.
I do like the white/tan ... but I have always heard: Happy Wife—Happy Life.

Just sayin'

zelatore

Explorer
White/tan is extremely popular; we originally wanted that color for our LR3. We ended up with grey, and in retrospect I think I like it better as it's less common.

axels

Adventurer
Definitely get the certified one. The LR warranty will come in handy. Plus the 12 seems a little (a lot) overpriced.

JackW

Explorer
Tan interior - ugh....

I have a white/black LR3 - much more better

Silver/black is a pretty good looking combination as well - my friend Tyrone bought this one 14 hours before he took it on a trail ride in North Georgia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears