Toasty's Garage

Toasty, just curious. What are your plans for the ABS system when you do the front axle swap? Went out wheeling on some of the King of the Hammers trails with a friend who has an SAS’d 95 Pathfinder and it did amazing. He removed the ABS completely, not sure how it would be done on a Montero. Thanks!

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Just removing the ABS, it's easy. Some Gen 2's didn't come with ABS so the hardline is an easy thing to just get to bypass the ABS and make room for something cool in the engine bay.

dos531

Just removing the ABS, it's easy. Some Gen 2's didn't come with ABS so the hardline is an easy thing to just get to bypass the ABS and make room for something cool in the engine bay.
Could you elaborate on this? I'd like to get rid of mine.

Toasty

Been a while but maybe PA_JERO will chime in because he just did his. Basically you take out the ABS motor and install a hardline or two in it's place, see how easy i make that sound? ;)

PA_JERO

Adventurer
It was really easy with a second set of eyes to help trace back all of the hard lines going from the master cylinder to the ABS motor. I didn't add any hard lines, all I used is a brake line splitter (a deal that can attach 3 lines into it), and a coupling. The hardest part was rebending the lines without messing any of them up. I'm Terrible about write ups and any tech. I usually just do something in a moment of thought and take no pictures and tell people it was easy. I think it took me an hour and a half from start to finish. It clears up so much room in the engine bay until you put something way cool there. 20180609_183332.jpg20180610_081451.jpg20180607_172645.jpg20180610_081759.jpg

dos531

It was really easy with a second set of eyes to help trace back all of the hard lines going from the master cylinder to the ABS motor. I didn't add any hard lines, all I used is a brake line splitter (a deal that can attach 3 lines into it), and a coupling. The hardest part was rebending the lines without messing any of them up. I'm Terrible about write ups and any tech. I usually just do something in a moment of thought and take no pictures and tell people it was easy. I think it took me an hour and a half from start to finish. It clears up so much room in the engine bay until you put something way cool there. View attachment 479913View attachment 479914View attachment 479915View attachment 479916
Looks simple enough.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
If I had ABS to begin with I might have thought twice about abandoning it. It's never worked in my truck for as long as I've been around it. So I though eh, I can fit something way more awesome in that spot.

dos531

If I had ABS to begin with I might have thought twice about abandoning it. It's never worked in my truck for as long as I've been around it. So I though eh, I can fit something way more awesome in that spot.
I dunno. My brakes arent strong enough to lock up these tires on the road, and in the dirt I think ABS is more of a liability than anything. I dont think i'll lose anything by getting rid of it. I'd like to put either a second battery or a compressor like yours in that space.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Battery would be a good one but I've been getting away with just running the big boy blue top Optima, group 27. I did this compressor mostly because I was tired of running a CO2 tank for my locker and having a seperate viair compressor set up for filling tires. It took up to much space in the cab in back which I didn't like. No I have a ton of room in the back of the truck again and one unit to fill all my tires and will soon be controlling dual ARB's. Legit status.

Toasty

Hopefully things will normalize in the Toast camp and i can get back to hobby work, interviewing some welders at the real job Tuesday. Ernest stopped by today and we made progress on one of the D44s, not much on pictures but i did take one.
20181102_131858.jpg

Toasty

Been lots going on lately, finally had a morning to work on axles. Got the spindles rebuilt, axles installed with new seals, spindles and caliper brackets installed. One axle got the hubs rebuilt, new rotors installed and the hub assembly installed on the spindle. Wheel bearing preload is set. The other axle just got shafts, seals, rebuilt spindles, and caliper brackets. Almost done!

20181116_092311.jpg20181116_092321.jpg20181116_121419.jpg20181116_135422.jpg20181116_135427.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior