Tonight's Dinner Will Consist Of........

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
No pics, but it was Simplier Times Beer from Trader Joe's...had one aafter after work and it turned into dinner..:sombrero:

LACamper

Adventurer
I was starving tonight.
I started with organic, extra firm tofu. Got the skillet really hot with some olive oil, tossed in the tofu, some smoked paprika, turmeric, a pepper flake blend, a bit of garam masala and a liberal dousing of Louisiana brand hot sauce.
Voila!
[]

Don't buy the Louisiana brand! Tabasco or Crystal (at worst) brand is what locals in Louisiana eat...

For backpacking (no refridgeration) my favorite was Zataran's Jambalaya box mix with sliced smoked sausage, canned chicken, and andouille (from Jacob's Andouille in Laplace, LA ). Serve w/ Abita beer if you want to do it LA style.

Someone mentioned artificial crab meat earlier. My wife makes a crab meat pizza that's easy.
Canned crust (comes like canned biscuits). Spread out and cover with a pack of the semi-frozen artificial crab meat. Pour over melted butter with fresh crushed garlic and black pepper. Add lots of mozzerella and a bit of parmegean. Bake for 20 minutes or so until the crust browns.

ruger1

Observer
A favorite of a lot of people, fresh venison tender loin wrapped in bacon grilled over hot coals. Plus the usual fried corn with red onions and mashed potatos. I cooked the potatos in milk and butter then mashed them and it worked great.

Attachments

• bacon wrapped venison 001.jpg
    bacon wrapped venison 001.jpg
    955.3 KB · Views: 11
  • bacon wrapped venison 003.jpg
    bacon wrapped venison 003.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 16

LACamper

Adventurer
I've had duck wrapped in bacon but never venison. That sounds good...

Actually most things wrapped in bacon sound good! :)

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Dang, should have taken a picture of it....
Turkey , stuffing,mashed taters, corn, and punkin pie for dessert..:drool:

Test run......:eatchicke

DarinM

Explorer
My neighbor gave me a venison backstrap from a deer he shot a couple weeks ago.
I took it with me up to mom & dad's for Thanksgiving and cooked it Thanksgiving day.
I brined it in a typical brine - sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder and some "Slap Ya Mama" seasoning. Left it in there for about 5 hours.
I then took it out, butterflied it and pounded it out into a paillard - about 1/4" thick.
I had some sausage from Southside Market in Elgin (if you're from around here you know this place - if you're not, you have my condolences). I cut the sausage up into maybe 1/4" chunks, julienned some jalapenos, diced about 1/2 an onion and minced up a bunch of garlic. I mixed all that stuff together and piled it in the middle of my venision paillard.
I rolled it up and then wrapped thick cut bacon slices around it, covering the entire thing.
Then I took coarse ground black pepper and covered the bacon with it. Poked some skewers through it to hold it all together and then put in a smoker with hickory chips at about 225 degrees for about 2 hours or so.
Pulled off and wrapped in foil and let it rest for about 15 minutes, sliced into 1/2 inch medallions and I decided to forego being a vegetarian for a little while.
Amigos & amigas - this was the unanimous favorite item of our Thanksgiving meal. I wish I had pictures and I wish I had some to share with y'all. It was delicious.

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
My neighbor gave me a venison backstrap from a deer he shot a couple weeks ago.
I took it with me up to mom & dad's for Thanksgiving and cooked it Thanksgiving day.
I brined it in a typical brine - sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder and some "Slap Ya Mama" seasoning. Left it in there for about 5 hours.
I then took it out, butterflied it and pounded it out into a paillard - about 1/4" thick.
I had some sausage from Southside Market in Elgin (if you're from around here you know this place - if you're not, you have my condolences). I cut the sausage up into maybe 1/4" chunks, julienned some jalapenos, diced about 1/2 an onion and minced up a bunch of garlic. I mixed all that stuff together and piled it in the middle of my venision paillard.
I rolled it up and then wrapped thick cut bacon slices around it, covering the entire thing.
Then I took coarse ground black pepper and covered the bacon with it. Poked some skewers through it to hold it all together and then put in a smoker with hickory chips at about 225 degrees for about 2 hours or so.
Pulled off and wrapped in foil and let it rest for about 15 minutes, sliced into 1/2 inch medallions and I decided to forego being a vegetarian for a little while.
Amigos & amigas - this was the unanimous favorite item of our Thanksgiving meal. I wish I had pictures and I wish I had some to share with y'all. It was delicious.

This sounds terrible!

NOT!

I too regret you don't have pics!

pint

Adventurer
DAMN, I need to learn to hunt and enjoy wild game! I've hunted a few times in my life and enjoyed it, but in general I'm a tard! :sombrero:

DarinM

Explorer
Darin's Drunken Dessert

Some time ago I invented Darin's Drunken Dessert.
It varies depending on what's in the liquor cabinet. I made it over the weekend. I shared some with my neighbor who gave me the previously mentioned venison and I've brought most of the rest of it to work with me today. I say "most" because I had to do some quality control testing before sharing... :drool:

Ingredients - apples. I bought Granny Smiths and Fujis. I like the crunch and rustic appeal of leaving the skins on. I just chopped up I think 2 of each - and these were some big apples. Mmm... Added probably 1/2-3/4 cup of sugar and generous amount of cinnamon and fresh ground nutmeg. And then stirred the apples around to make sure they were all covered.

Next - in a pan I melted 1/2 cup of sweet cream butter, maybe 3/4 cup of sugar, some fresh ground nutmeg, probably 3/4 cup of Baileys, 1/3(?) cup of Frangelico, 1/2 cup of Butterscotch schnapps, and maybe 1/2 cup of Jameson. I brought this right to a boil and then simmered to reduce it down by about 1/2.

While this was simmering, I mixed about 2 cups of bisquick, 1 cup of sugar, some cinnamon, a cup of milk and 1/2 stick of butter cut in chunks. This was a kinda runny kinda chunky (butter) mixture.

I poured the liquor mixture over the apples and stirred it well. Then I poured the bisquick mixture over the top of that and made sure the butter chunks were somewhat evenly distrubuted.

Cooked the whole thing in a silicon brownie pan at 450 for about 20 minutes.

Took it out, let it set up for a bit and mmm.....

It ain't pretty but lawdy, lawdy... Sure is good!!

Attachments

• Drunken.jpg
    Drunken.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 20

alexfm

Explorer
Well, it wasn't tonights dinner, but yesterdays. :sombrero: But still good none the less.

GEDC0099.jpg

Steak, with my own seasoning blend, and cooked in real butter with serrano chilis. :drool: And not in this picture, a side of red potatoes. :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78