Top 10 Used Overland Vehicles: Do you agree?

bob91yj

Resident **************
My LJ has been great also and works well for just two people on an extended trip. Saying one of them should be on the list would just be me rooting for a rig I owned as I don't have any experience with any of the rigs on Scott's list.

Very happy with our LJ, meets our needs nicely...no experience with the others either.

18seeds

Explorer
My top 5 list in no particular order

98 100 Series: First year of the V8 in an LC
06 100 Series: VVTI added to the V8
03 4runner: First year of the V8 in a 4runner
05 4runner: VVTI added added to the V8
04 Tacoma: Last year of the 1st gen tacoma

matt s

Explorer
Great list, and hard to argue as those are all great rigs.

It is interesting that most of the domestic were left out. It does say vehicles for North America Overland. So I don't think parts availability argument is an issue.

Left out, and IMO really capable and overlooked. (yes I am biased)

K5 (30 years of blazer to choose from and parts galore)
Bronco (hey it worked for OJ)

The price tag on the above will leave tremendous room for mods and general expenses of bringing an older vehicle back up to specs. Fuel injected models will deliver MPG that is acceptable and comparable to most of the rigs listed in the top 10. Payload, well plenty.

Larger but still awesome
Power Wagon (any vintage, but the old ones have a place in my heart)
Suburban (I have an 88 that is just rock solid and has been since we bought it new in 88)
Crew Cab short bed Ford/Chevy 1/2 or 3/4 preferably straight axle versions of the chevy's

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott. what is your opinion of the 5th gen 4runner trail edition? How does it stack up against some in your list? I have had all of the generations of 4runners and thinking about the 5th gen trail once my 4th gen has finally had it. I am very pleased thus far with my 2007 4runner

We have just completed a comprehensive test of this vehicle. It is my favorite current Toyota model. High level of refinement and even better on the trail. Quite impressive in Trail Edition trim.

Too new to qualify for the list.

Scott Brady

Founder
May I assume your favorite vehicle that did not make the list is the Trooper!

I am a big fan of the Trooper, having owned one. The challenge is that the model and the entire brand is discontinued in the US. Also of note is that the Trooper had very little penetration in markets outside of Asia and Australia. Very little global infrastructure for that truck.

Scott Brady

Founder
The list is an interesting mix.

If it were mine I'd pull the Patriot and replace with an XJ.

The XJ is certainly legit. I noticed quite a few bopping around Central America.

However , the Patriot didn't make the list. It was only there as an option for someone needing/wanting a cross-over.

Scott Brady

Founder
The Disco just seems to be built for load, and tends to handle the extra weight much better.

That is very true and I have found the same result. The Disco really does manage a load well and the fuel economy doesn't suffer so much for it.

The 80 series and the DII seem to get about the same fuel economy, which is bad ;)

Scott Brady

Founder
I was glad to see the Xterra on the list. The only issue is that in 2005 the X was completely redesigned. They look a lot alike but are two very different rigs. Still, both are great.

I included both generations because they both are excellent vehicles, quite reliable and very capable. I just used the age range to reflect as new a vehicle as possible but still fall under the $$$ cap.

I am a big fan of the XTerra.

Scott Brady

Founder
Forgot to add I would love to see a similar list for travel in Africa or Australia, where they can get the really cool trucks.

I did touch on the global perspective a little on my April, 2010 article, but felt that I lacked enough seat time in a few of the legit options to speak comfortably about it. I have since had the opportunity to drive the Hilux extensively, along with the Prado TLC, Patrol and a few others.

I am going to spend nearly a month in a 200 series with the twin-turbo V8 diesel in Australia in June. I will also be testing a few other important options and will then write that little op-ed.

Scott Brady

Founder
1st gen 4runner!!!!!!!!!!

I am with you, but I think only for the love. In reality, a 2011 4Runner Trail edition would do everything a 1st gen could do, and better. It would be faster, more comfortable, safer, more capable (lockers, A-Trac), more refined, etc. I wouldn't even be surprised if the 2011 would get nearly the same fuel economy.

It is really amazing what some of these newer vehicles can do.

We just had an LR4 for a few months and that vehicle is absolutely incredible. It lacks some of the uniqueness of my Disco I, but will do everything else better - everything. If you took a stock DI and a stock LR4 with the HD package and tested them, it would be shocking how much better the LR4 would perform, in every way. Of course, you can buy a DI for $5, and the LR4 will cost you $50,000, so that can be a big modifier :Wow1:

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Question - What about the Jeep Liberty Diesel?

I hear there were some warranty/recall issues, but if those have been sorted/fixed is it a reasonable contender?

Paladin

Banned
oops, my mistake. I remember being at the SF car show with Persephone and trying to decide which one was the worst looking...

:)

But you have to admit, the new Compass is much better looking. Still has the reverse C-pillar though, which is SO overdone in this segment. Everybody has it and it's like... 2005 called and they want their reverse C-pillar back. :coffeedrink:

TKSC01

Adventurer
Imho......

I would have broken this list into two lists. First list would have been 10 Best expo vehicle that is central to your local....and the second list would have been 10 best expo vehicle if you are fortunate enough to travel the world. I think a RTT would look rediculous on a Mercedes in any country, and I believe a Jeep Grand Cherokee would take you anywere you wanted to go even if 100% of the parts are not availiable in Bacswanna. (if that is even spelled right) I think it was too broad to be useful to individuals who can not live the " get in my expo vehicle , quit the job, *******the kids college fund" and lets travel the world in search of cool stuff. We all want to...no doubt, but I know for myself after the kids, mortgage, family and other life stuff, I am fortunate to build a Ford Bronco and push my love for exploration forward via that vehicle, which by the way is amazing and didnt make any list!

Scott Brady

Founder
I am fortunate to build a Ford Bronco and push my love for exploration forward via that vehicle, which by the way is amazing and didnt make any list!

It is just a list. Drive what you love.

My favorite vehicle and the one I drive every day didn't make the list either ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12