Topper vs. Pack Rack???

2scars

Adventurer
Here is sleeping under the canopy...which sucked for two adults.

And here is our rack and tent on the back of my old Extra cab and then our new Double...

Hope this helps, though I do love pic-whoring.

Brandon

Tanner

Observer
This is how I set mine up, I built the rack. I eventually plan to make a canvas top of some sort for it, won't be real secure but like you said out of sight, out of mind.

TacomaJack09

Observer
I would prefer a topper with win-doors on both sides and a low profile rack on top. Then I would buy a low profile rtt like the James Baroud's or Autohome's. Much like this gentlemen's setup ( Yedi ). That way you still have the functionality of the topper whenever you take the rtt off.

Last edited:

taco_tay

Adventurer
Sweet rigs guys!! Thanks for the input. Tacomajack09 do you have any idea how much comfort and versatility you loose with one of those low profile rtt's?

2scars

Adventurer
I want to make a low profile rack that fits closely around my shell, kind of like a contractor rack. But, much tighter fit and not all clunky and bolt on.

The 5 foot bed make getting any material that I need randomly at our house kind of a pain. Having the option to load some things on top, like tin roofing for out building would be great.

Brandon

thethePete

Explorer
^ What about running your legs down inside the shell, to the sides of your box, and having them connect through the topper to your racks on top, via plates and bolts? Could still be very easily made waterproof, and creates a very low profile look while mantaining all the strength of having a rack to support your load. Kinda poorly explained, but picture a contractor's rack, now cut it, and put the legs inside the cap, with sandwich plates to attach the "rack" portion back through the topper fiberglass.

2scars

Adventurer
Pete, the idea is to keep as much space as possible in the 5' short box. Keeping it tight to the outside of the shell, while possibly engineering in a way to make it relatively easy to remove would be key.

Brandon

thethePete

Explorer
The way I'm picturing it, you'd lose the 2" diameter of the legs or whatever size you run, and that's pretty much it. Plus it gives you higher tiedowns for inside the cap for a gear hammock or something.
Excuse my mad paint skills.

sick drawing bud.jpg

Edit: So apparently you can't read that at all. The left shows a traditional rack going outside the topper, the right shows my proposal, it could be kept tight to the inside of the topper, and you could weld loops onto it at various heights for tiedowns as mentioned above.

The other option would be to use a roll bender to very closely mimic the exterior of the topper, but that has its own drawbacks.

TacomaJack09

Observer
Sweet rigs guys!! Thanks for the input. Tacomajack09 do you have any idea how much comfort and versatility you loose with one of those low profile rtt's?

Depends on your level of comfort I guess, it still has a memory foam mattress and you can get ones with enough room for 3. You loose a little head room, and space compared to the fold out tents.The ease of setup and tear down makes it worth the slight loss of space imo. Especially if you're constantly on the move like on a road trip where you're not staying multiple nights at one spot. I've seen versions of these hardshell tents where you can unzip the tent walls out, remove the mattress and you're left with storage space much like a yakima rocket box. So I think the versatility is still there as well. I'd suggest googling Autohome's and James Baroud tents for reviews and stories.

dman93

Adventurer
Flippac. You get the security of a topper, and the space of a RTT.
+1 Seriously, FlipPacs aren't cheap (new) and lead time is long (new), though they show up used quite a bit and I think there is an EC or AC Taco shell for sale somewhere on ExPo. FlipPacs are ugly ... I can say that, I have one. But they really are a very good solution to the OP's requirements.

daRockinRabbit

Honestly if I had a truck, I'd probably do something like this. This way you don't loose the functionality of the truck (hauling in the bed) and you can also remove it with ease if need be. Not a fan of whatever is on the cab, but a bed rack (looks like its made by THULE?) would be an interesting way to go!

Attachments

• WP_20140417_006.jpg
    WP_20140417_006.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 48

toyrunner95

Explorer
There is something to be said for both schools of thought. Lets first examine each choice and determine the pros and cons.

The pack rack or expedition rack is a great idea for a couple of reasons, 1. It mounts the tent lower so you have a lower center of gravity. 2. It's open so you can access your gear easily, and 3 its light weight. This option provides an individual with many mounting options for a lot of things, like axe and shovel, high lift jack, lights and so on. The pack rack is generally suited to warmer dryer climates.
The cons of the pack rack is that your gear, though easily accessible, will get dusty or wet, thus creating the need for dry bags or water and air tight boxes that can be expensive.

The topper or canopy is a decent choice in its own right. 1. It's air and water tight if installed correctly, 2. It keeps gear relatively easily accessible. 3. It can host a slew of accessories if properly outfitted.
The cons, they can be expensive, they really need a rack system to mount anything correctly, and they add a fair bit of weight.
In the climate I live in, its wet A LOT. We get more misty and wet days than we get sun and it causes problems frequently with gear and camping. With that being said my topper was professionally installed and I haven't had an issue yet. With the proper drawer system this option can really be helpful. My gear stays organized, dry and dust free making for a very nice experience when I'm outdoors. Plus it keeps my fridge out of the weather and in great working order for whenever I need it.
Doesn't hurt to have a dry space for my dog either.

You really need to evaluate when and how you will be using it, this will make your choice much more manageable.

J.jpg
D.jpg

taco_tay

Adventurer
Great write up guys really have me thinking for my new truck. Toyota has my truck right now on the rusted frame warranty. Thank god I called and got it inspected on the very last day my warranty was available. Huge hole in the frame so I couldn't even drive it off the lot. In a rental car (compliments of Toyota) until I get news of a check, crossing my fingers!!! Wish me luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger

Members online