Towing Question - Need more Power!

p nut

butter
It's an 1" bigger.

So it's bigger, right? :)

My suggestion wa based on several factors. The Tundra has better resale. But these are the advantages of the F150:

- Better towing (although at 4K lbs, either will do just fine)
- Better MPG
- More range
- Flat rear floor
- Safer
- Bigger rear seat! :D
-
Yukon's would be a good option as well. But at least for me, I like the versatility of a truck. And given this guy only has a kid and 2 small dogs, a crew cab truck should do just fine.

sargeek

Adventurer
Tacoma Towning

Question is what size tire are you running. I drove 176K with a Tacoma and pulled a 20' Hybrid Trailer in Colorado and it pulled as well as many other 1/2 ton trucks. When I put tires on it, I kept them as close to OEM size to not change the final gear rations. The biggest problem I had was that the mileage was horrible. Fully loaded at 65, I would get 6-8 MPG.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Not sure if it was mentioned or not, but the Colorado/Canyon came with the option of a 5.3 V8 and 4 doors I believe, it would be about the same size as your Tacoma but tow much better. Stepping up to a 1/2 ton platform will be slightly more stable but have better braking and transmission. Our family has had nothing but Ford and GM as far as owning trucks, my brother says my GMC with the 6.0 tows better than his 3.5 EcoBoost, he has owned 2 Rangers and 3 F-150's so I trust his opinion. Another option I dare to say is the Ram 1500 with the EcoDiesel, not really a Dodge fan myself(great engines but crappy interiors until recently) but that EcoDiesel gets great MPG. I may look at one in a few years myself.

p nut

butter
Not sure if it was mentioned or not, but the Colorado/Canyon came with the option of a 5.3 V8 and 4 doors I believe, it would be about the same size as your Tacoma but tow much better. Stepping up to a 1/2 ton platform will be slightly more stable but have better braking and transmission. Our family has had nothing but Ford and GM as far as owning trucks, my brother says my GMC with the 6.0 tows better than his 3.5 EcoBoost, he has owned 2 Rangers and 3 F-150's so I trust his opinion. Another option I dare to say is the Ram 1500 with the EcoDiesel, not really a Dodge fan myself(great engines but crappy interiors until recently) but that EcoDiesel gets great MPG. I may look at one in a few years myself.

Those GMC 6.0/6.2 engines are great. My pops had an 04 2500 with the 6.0 gas engine, and that thing was a work horse. Went 200k miles and was still going strong before he gave it to a foreman to use. But I still like my ecoboost better. :D
-
One issue with the Ecodiesel--payload. It tows fine, but you start running out of payload pretty quick with a heavy trailer.

Clutch

<---Pass
So it's bigger, right? :)

My suggestion wa based on several factors. The Tundra has better resale. But these are the advantages of the F150:

- Better towing (although at 4K lbs, either will do just fine)
- Better MPG
- More range
- Flat rear floor
- Safer
- Bigger rear seat! :D
-
Yukon's would be a good option as well. But at least for me, I like the versatility of a truck. And given this guy only has a kid and 2 small dogs, a crew cab truck should do just fine.

Pfffft....all yous guys suggesting super chargers, regear, and 1/2 tons.

....go big or go home! This would pull that 4K like it ain't even there!

$_3.jpeg

p nut

butter
Pfffft....all yous guys suggesting super chargers, regear, and 1/2 tons.

....go big or go home! This would pull that 4K like it ain't even there!

Ha ha. Forget the little puny Taco. Who needs to fit through trails when you can make your own?? :D
-
I will admit, though, I saw an F550 pulling a TT the other day. I'm not one for oogling after big "macho" Tonka trucks, but it looked pretty cool.

Clutch

<---Pass
Ha ha. Forget the little puny Taco. Who needs to fit through trails when you can make your own?? :D
-
I will admit, though, I saw an F550 pulling a TT the other day. I'm not one for oogling after big "macho" Tonka trucks, but it looked pretty cool.

Damn straight!

----

Yeah, it is hard not to oogle after them...there was one of those F750 pickups sitting at the moto trailhead awhile back...little much for yanking dirt bikes around...but damn!

They pretty much suck offroad, we used to have a C70 dump, which I buried in mud once or maybe twice ( :D )...real pain in the ******** to get unstuck without the right equipment.

new tacoma is in line, but I can't help myself from looking at new F250's (since I can get an XL for about the same price as a Tacoma Sport)...followed one home last night on the back country roads, dang that is sharp looking truck. Have to remind myself, that is waaaay too much truck, waaay too much truck for my needs...

p nut

butter
Damn straight!

----

Yeah, it is hard not to oogle after them...there was one of those F750 pickups sitting at the moto trailhead awhile back...little much for yanking dirt bikes around...but damn!

They pretty much suck offroad, we used to have a C70 dump, which I buried in mud once or maybe twice ( :D )...real pain in the ******** to get unstuck without the right equipment.

new tacoma is in line, but I can't help myself from looking at new F250's (since I can get an XL for about the same price as a Tacoma Sport)...followed one home last night on the back country roads, dang that is sharp looking truck. Have to remind myself, that is waaaay too much truck, waaay too much truck for my needs...

No kidding. I am seeing more of those new F250/350's. Yeah, I could've bought one for the same price as my F150. More towing, more payload.... Then I look at my empty bed (ok, a shovel and some firewood), and 95% of the time, I don't need all that. But just think of how many bikes you can fit on that 8' bed! Worry about payload? Nah--just throw it on!

superbuickguy

Explorer
I thought Toyota made a supercharger for the Tacoma?

I've learned this by bitter experience, you use the words "I like everything but the power" you'll be unsatisfied with anything you buy because it won't be the Tacoma. Personally, I'm not a Tacoma fan, but if a car fits you - don't change eventually you'll end back where you are now (except poorer) and doing a power adder or motor swap. Something to consider - GM makes plug-and-play crate motors that are 50 state emission legal... even if you spend 30,000 on the swap, you'll still be 20,000 ahead (or more) then if you purchase a new truck.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Guys all this feedback is awesome.. Decided I do want a different truck. The fuel range and ability to tow more weight is my driving factor. I think I'd rather trade up than put money in gearing etc.
Was looking at trucks but Thinking maybe a Tahoe or suburban... When traveling it's the wife my son and 2 small dogs...having the enclosed SUV would be nice with the dogs.
Thoughts about surbuban vs expedition vs excursion I've seen lot of excursion builds and some burb builds.
There's another advantage as well: Lower cost. Take an equivalent pickup and SUV, and while the SUV cost more new, the pickup will almost ALWAYS be significantly more expensive on the used market.
Why this is, I'm not sure but it's a reality. So going with a 'Burb or Tahoe (or Yukon/YukonXL) would get you the same year and drivetrain at a significantly lower cost. The same holds true, BTW, for the F150 vs Expedition/Expedition EL.
As between Tahoe and Suburban, if range is a concern get the 'burb or Yukon XL. 31 gallon fuel tank vs the 26 on the Tahoe. Of if you really want fuel, get a Suburban or Yukon XL 2500 (not easy to find but they're out there) with a 37 gallon tank (of course, many of the Burbs and Yukon XLs have the 8.1l engine so the 37 gallon tank is probably needed.)
I pulled a 2000lb travel trailer from Rock Springs, WY to Denver (350 miles) without stopping and still had over 1/4 tank when I got to Denver. ;)

p nut

butter
I thought Toyota made a supercharger for the Tacoma?

I've learned this by bitter experience, you use the words "I like everything but the power" you'll be unsatisfied with anything you buy because it won't be the Tacoma. Personally, I'm not a Tacoma fan, but if a car fits you - don't change eventually you'll end back where you are now (except poorer) and doing a power adder or motor swap. Something to consider - GM makes plug-and-play crate motors that are 50 state emission legal... even if you spend 30,000 on the swap, you'll still be 20,000 ahead (or more) then if you purchase a new truck.

You're forgetting residual value of his current truck. And with the crazy resale Taco's have, he'll be better off buying a new truck than spending $30k on an engine swap, much less all the potential headaches that comes from that.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
There's another advantage as well: Lower cost. Take an equivalent pickup and SUV, and while the SUV cost more new, the pickup will almost ALWAYS be significantly more expensive on the used market.
Why this is, I'm not sure but it's a reality. So going with a 'Burb or Tahoe (or Yukon/YukonXL) would get you the same year and drivetrain at a significantly lower cost. The same holds true, BTW, for the F150 vs Expedition/Expedition EL.
As between Tahoe and Suburban, if range is a concern get the 'burb or Yukon XL. 31 gallon fuel tank vs the 26 on the Tahoe. Of if you really want fuel, get a Suburban or Yukon XL 2500 (not easy to find but they're out there) with a 37 gallon tank (of course, many of the Burbs and Yukon XLs have the 8.1l engine so the 37 gallon tank is probably needed.)
I pulled a 2000lb travel trailer from Rock Springs, WY to Denver (350 miles) without stopping and still had over 1/4 tank when I got to Denver. ;)

We have the 6.0 and 37 gallon tank, the 140 amp alternator is nice to have as well. And yes, it hurts to fill it up, with the programmer it only takes premium but will get 16-17mpg not towing at 70mph.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You're forgetting residual value of his current truck. And with the crazy resale Taco's have, he'll be better off buying a new truck than spending $30k on an engine swap, much less all the potential headaches that comes from that.

Yup, they do have good resale value.

Clutch

<---Pass
No kidding. I am seeing more of those new F250/350's. Yeah, I could've bought one for the same price as my F150. More towing, more payload.... Then I look at my empty bed (ok, a shovel and some firewood), and 95% of the time, I don't need all that. But just think of how many bikes you can fit on that 8' bed! Worry about payload? Nah--just throw it on!

tempting! but waaay overkill....already have a 5X8' trailer...soo in a sense already have a an 8' bed. :D

Clutch

<---Pass

Gaaaaahhhhwd no kidding, about every engine thread swap i have read, they are nothing but a huge headache. Go find a buddy with his dealer's license and go buy one of those FS trucks at auction for under $10K. Then who cares about the gas mileage... ;) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan