Towing Question - Need more Power!

p nut

butter
tempting! but waaay overkill....already have a 5X8' trailer...soo in a sense already have a an 8' bed. :D

What's better than an 8' bed? A 16' bed! :D

Gaaaaahhhhwd no kidding, about every engine thread swap i have read, they are nothing but a huge headache. Go find a buddy with his dealer's license and go buy one of those FS trucks at auction for under $10K. Then who cares about the gas mileage... ;) :)

Yeah, exactly. 100% agree. Now, get to it.
:elkgrin:

Clutch

<---Pass
What's better than an 8' bed? A 16' bed! :D

Darn tootin'!

Yeah, exactly. 100% agree. Now, get to it.
:elkgrin:

Hells to the yeahs! Be well ahead of the curve, if just buy something used at auction and just fix it.

https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucbystate/?sl=A1QSCI17097715

V-10

current bid is at $6200...

A1QSCI17097715.jpg

Drive by this place 5 days a week.

6.2, current bid $8100 (wonder what the reserve is?)

https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucbystate/?sl=A1QSCI17097709

A1QSCI17097709.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
You're forgetting residual value of his current truck. And with the crazy resale Taco's have, he'll be better off buying a new truck than spending $30k on an engine swap, much less all the potential headaches that comes from that.

Totally wasn't my point... finances and heart are rarely anywhere but on opposite ends of the spectrum.

p nut

butter
Hells to the yeahs! Be well ahead of the curve, if just buy something used at auction and just fix it.

https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucbystate/?sl=A1QSCI17097715

V-10

current bid is at $6200...

Drive by this place 5 days a week.

6.2, current bid $8100 (wonder what the reserve is?)

https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucbystate/?sl=A1QSCI17097709

Solid picks. Although, you can find some good private owner deals:

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3924447?ad_cid=13
-

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
lThere are some interesting comments in the previous posts ... "troubles of a diesel"? and the comments on payload? I would first ask a few questions. What size truck fits your needs best? What are your specific needs besides pulling a 4k lb. trailer?

A few things to remember:
1. "Pulling power" is a result of transmission gearing, not engine horsepower. Perfect example, my 87 hp 2.5 ltr engine (1972 Pinzgauer military troop transport) will pull 5300 lbs. It has lots of gears. (10 forward, 2 reverse) GEARS are the answer. If you want to keep the same truck, you might look into either swapping gears, or swapping transmission. That's just one solution. If you want to learn about that one, contact a local 4x4 transmission expert. Be forewarned, some transmission people are unable to calculate what you would need (they are accustomed to just fixing existing systems) so you need to speak to someone at a custom performance shop. You might spend $2k to $3k doing this.
2. As previously mentioned, you can soup up the engine, but then you still have the gearing problem. A more powerful engine won't get you better pulling power, just less gas mileage and a louder engine.
3. IF you decide to look for another vehicle, keep in mind that tow ratings are maximum ratings. So, if a truck is rated at 5000 lb tow rating, pulling 4000 lbs. is using it at 80% of the max rating. It will be difficult. If you buy a truck with a 12000 lb rating, you will be pulling at 30% of the rating and you should enjoy the ease of towing much more.
4. My personal preference, along with the majority of people in the developed world, is Ford trucks. A newer Ford F150 has enough to easily pull what you need. (Chevy is great too ... as are others, but my personal preference for work trucks is a Ford)

I hope this helps.

Bumber

You're partially correct, if all you need to do is pull something then gears are the biggest part of the equation, BUT to pull that same load at highway speeds like the OP is talking about you also need horsepower and rpm.
imagine your pinz with a 250 horse small block instead of the 87 horse motor, it would pull the same load easier with less stress and better economy because it wouldn't work as hard to maintain highway speed.
Correct gearing is very important but so is horsepower and they are not mutually exclusive.

ACFaulk

SE Expedition Society
Thought I would update this thread....been doing a lot of searching and test driving and may have found something. Going this weekend to try it. 2015 2500 chevy 4x4 gasser. Interesting thing is it looks like a work truck that was ordered as someone's daily driver. Has power windows touch screen with back up camera and cloth seats that look like they are in great shape. Definitely solves all my tow needs.

Curious if u guys know if the work trucks ride any different than the LT models or other model Silverados? Suppose I'll find out this weekend and I'll update here just curious.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thought I would update this thread....been doing a lot of searching and test driving and may have found something. Going this weekend to try it. 2015 2500 chevy 4x4 gasser. Interesting thing is it looks like a work truck that was ordered as someone's daily driver. Has power windows touch screen with back up camera and cloth seats that look like they are in great shape. Definitely solves all my tow needs.

Curious if u guys know if the work trucks ride any different than the LT models or other model Silverados? Suppose I'll find out this weekend and I'll update here just curious.

If it has the active fuel management crap just run away while you can.

What motor, 6.0L?

360 hp and 380 lb-ft seems low for a big V8 in a 2500

Ours tows just fine.

Cyph86

What motor, 6.0L?

360 hp and 380 lb-ft seems low for a big V8 in a 2500
That's pretty normal for v8 options in 3/4 tons. They normally have same engine options but beef up the suspension and gearing.

Personally i have a 04 silverado Duramax extended cab with a shell. I dont tow a whole lot but i do camp a ton out of the back. Although it can be a headache sometimes (replacing wear and tear parts and 100$ oil changes) i love the mileage. Fully loaded with wood and camping gear for a few weeks i average 20 mpg on the straight and level (did i mention its also a 4x4). When towing i tow a 4k 26ft trailer and still barely notice it. Milage drops to 15 with some severe grades (averaged) but there arent many here in so cal. And with the allison i dont worry about any tranny issues.
For your needs the 3/4 ton burb with 6 liter will do ya right. Get the beefier tans and suspension, bigger fuel tank. Dry milage will suffer a little but towing milage and comfortably will increase a ton! Thats just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Op, how many miles a year do you haul your trailer with your little truck?
Wouldn't it be more practical to rent what is appropriate for the task at hand than spending thousands of dollars for a couple of trips a year.
Unless you're full time rv'er the "bigger" truck will be Overkill the rest of the year.
I've had several Toyota trucks/runners over the years, they are good vehicles but they're little, exception the latest tundra. I'm not bashing Toyota, but, they're great when they're within they're capacity and don't need repair. When you need parts all that goes out the window.
Just another opinion.:)

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
Didn't have the time to read all the posts so sorry if this has already been covered. First let me say that a 25 foot trailer behind that small of a truck would seem like a lot of "tail wagging the dog" to me. But the quickest way to lots more pulling power is a gear change. Swap the differentials for a lower set of gears and you'll probably solve your towing problems. You'll loose a a bit of top end speed when not towing but you really shouldn't be running around over 100 miles per hour anyway! I did this last year to my truck and it made a huge difference when hauling my camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior