Towing with a Tacoma.....

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Has been a while since I have logged in here. Currently own a Nissan Titan XD with the 5.0L Cummins. It is at the dealership being repaired AGAIN. Upon repair it will be sold. Perhaps traded.
I am thinking a new 2023 Tacoma. My concern is will it tow my 19’ Coachman trailer? My trailer weighs 3300 pounds empty. It is a single axle and I use it to hunt and weekends. Have no plan for a long expedition trip. What think you Taco owners? MTG
3300lbs empty translates to 3700 loaded, 15% tongue weight is around 600lbs, well add yourself and a passenger 400lbs, that leaves you a whopping 200lbs for anything you throw in the bed. Payload is your issue, not towing capacity. Most tacomas are around 1200lb- 4 door, 4wd, etc.

MTGunner

MTGunner
Have read all from this forum. Seems that a ‘23 Tacoma would tow my 19’ Coachman Apex Nano single axle. Would not be towing long distance. Perhaps 3000 miles tops and short day trips. The new Tacos 4x4 are equipped with trans coolers and would add trailer brakes. Also aftermarket tire pressure monitor. For the most part it would be used for hunting trips in and around Montana. Also want a bug out rig In case of forest fires near us. We pack reasonably light for trips.
My thoughts are to add Timbren weight system and light truck tires. Our trailer has a weight distributing system hitch. Want to equip bed with a Diamondback tonneau cover. There may be more after purchase of Taco. Will continue to monitor this forum. MTG

nickw

Adventurer
3300lbs empty translates to 3700 loaded, 15% tongue weight is around 600lbs, well add yourself and a passenger 400lbs, that leaves you a whopping 200lbs for anything you throw in the bed. Payload is your issue, not towing capacity. Most tacomas are around 1200lb- 4 door, 4wd, etc.
100% spot on - payload is always limiting factor, towing limits are largely meaningless.

jbaucom

That’s a pretty big leap to drop down from a Titan XD to a Tacoma. The XD with a Cummins is probably the most trouble prone truck built in the last decade, so I understand valuing reliability in the next truck, but there are plenty of dependable 1/2-ton trucks that won’t cut your payload nearly in half.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Just so we understand, you want to pull a 4k lb single axle trailer with no brakes with a 4k lb truck with marginally small brakes..is this correct?
I’m sure that trailer has brakes. Maybe he means he’s going to add a brake controller?

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
We tow with a 2014 Tacoma. We live in an EPro FD19. It is a 19 foot travel trailer that weighs 3200 dry and about 4200 loaded. Our Tacoma has had no issues pulling or stopping with the trailer. Going up steep hills can be a little slow, but I'm never in a hurry so I can deal with that.

d77a7749a57babdfc4f5613cc0742b16.jpg

4f144a75904c004f4652db04600bcb6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
You have trailer brakes and controller?

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Not starting an argument, According to the coachman website, that model, brakes are not oem, I didn't see where it is an option . Many internet opinions on whether or not single axle tt are required to have brakes from the manufacturer..just saying.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
WDH gear 100lbs + classic tubby RV trailer 500+lbs easily. Plus bed cap hard cover is another 100lbs with hardware. Passenger’s better be svelte Triathlon types with lightweight go fast gear. Or the Camry V6 will be running 4000+ rpm most of every trip?. Definitely going to be a massive change from a 1/2 ton diesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan