Towing with a Tacoma.....

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Purchased a 2023 TRD automatic, 6’ bed so the bride can drive it when necessary. Guess I will sell my 19’ Coachman and look into a Ukancamp 15’ rig. Bride has stated she is done camping. Me, not anywhere near done. Too many curves to see around and too many hills to see beyond. Our compromise on transmission has kept the heat down in the house. Gotta get along after 52 years of marriage. Besides, she gets her heated seats and auto trans and I get an off road trailer. Don’t need no stinking plush rig. Ordered a Blackdiamond HD tonneau, Tyger sliders and mudflats. Then will build sliding drawers in bed for tools, guns and more. Looking forward to outfitting my new Taco.
AggieOE, new Taco has only 200+ miles on the odometer. This late spring/summer will put lots of miles on the odometer revisiting lots of out of the way places in Montana. So many roads/trails to see. Lots of evenings to enjoy sunsets and trout fishing. MTG

Congratulations!
Post up some pictures when you can!

Timroo

An intelligently modified Taco should be able to handle pulling the trailer now and then but you have to be aware of the limitations, (i) you will not get anywhere quickly - 63mph is pretty much my max on level ground, much slower on long hills, and (ii) your gas mileage will be abysmal - in the 9-10mpg range (worse if you want to go faster).

My trailer is around 3300 pounds wet so you'll have a bit more trailer weight but my Tacoma is heavily modified, and weighs real close to 6000lbs itself, so we're probably in the same ballpark for total weight. I pulled my trailer 16,000 miles in 13 months without any issues.

There are many options to choose from but if you're going to tow with a Taco, I definitely recommend some upgrades to the rear suspension - including upgraded bumpstops.

I have the same feeling you do. Towed a 19’ RPod all over Nevada, California, and Arizona (it is our basecamp when we escape AK and the trailer stays in the SW). I use my tacoma because we can do all the trails we want and return to a nice camp. Towing isn’t the best experience, especially in a headwind (which seems to be constant in the desert). I saw 7 mpg with a big headwind at one point on the highway. Curvy slower hilly (not mountainous) roads it tows 3200 lbs wet just fine (single axle with trailer brakes, just plugged a brake controller into the Tacoma and off we went).

I’ve got Eibach coilovers in the front and icon 3 leaf pack in the back with Eibach shocks. Handles the tongue weight just fine. Truck has winch, skids, sliders, but try not to add a ton of excess weight to it. I wish it was the manual, but honestly towing with it doesn’t bother me that much anymore. Truck handles a little trailer fine enough to keep it for the tighter trails.

skrypj

I have the same feeling you do. Towed a 19’ RPod all over Nevada, California, and Arizona (it is our basecamp when we escape AK and the trailer stays in the SW). I use my tacoma because we can do all the trails we want and return to a nice camp. Towing isn’t the best experience, especially in a headwind (which seems to be constant in the desert). I saw 7 mpg with a big headwind at one point on the highway. Curvy slower hilly (not mountainous) roads it tows 3200 lbs wet just fine (single axle with trailer brakes, just plugged a brake controller into the Tacoma and off we went).

I’ve got Eibach coilovers in the front and icon 3 leaf pack in the back with Eibach shocks. Handles the tongue weight just fine. Truck has winch, skids, sliders, but try not to add a ton of excess weight to it. I wish it was the manual, but honestly towing with it doesn’t bother me that much anymore. Truck handles a little trailer fine enough to keep it for the tighter trails.

I find, more often than not, i am fighting a headwind in Utah and the surrounding states. Headwinds are brutal with a travel trailer, especially with the interstate speeds here. I wont use my GX460 to tow it on longer highway trips because it just doesnt have the grunt in less than ideal conditions.

And when you are getting 7 mpg, the tiny gas tanks in the smaller trucks empty real fast.

MTGunner

MTGunner
Not longer an issue. Sold my 19’ Coachman Nano Apex for a good price. Turned around and bought a Ukancamp 14’ model. 1495 pounds dry weight on single axle. Now working on personalizing this rig for off-road and hunting. Kinda small but tows like a dream behind my 2023 Taco. I will be adding Solar charging with a Renology battery for dry camping. So far I have gotten 17.6 on the flat and 14.9 in the mountains. Good ‘nuff for me. Will adding a full custom awning system soon. Will post pics eventually. MTG

GA Native

Not longer an issue. Sold my 19’ Coachman Nano Apex for a good price. Turned around and bought a Ukancamp 14’ model. 1495 pounds dry weight on single axle. Now working on personalizing this rig for off-road and hunting. Kinda small but tows like a dream behind my 2023 Taco. I will be adding Solar charging with a Renology battery for dry camping. So far I have gotten 17.6 on the flat and 14.9 in the mountains. Good ‘nuff for me. Will adding a full custom awning system soon. Will post pics eventually. MTG
What size tires are you running?

MTGunner

MTGunner
The Ukancamp comes standard with 15”, load range “D” tires with spare mounted on the passenger side. I opted for steel wheels in lieu of aluminum. Have added Renology Solar charge controller, 30 amp disconnect and will be installing NPP 24 series AGM battery in the front aluminum diamond plate box. Also added an 18” high diamond plate rock guard. Coated fenders with Rustoleum bed lined, two coats. Had some rubber coated carpet that I put in the lower storage. Adding more storage inside. In all of the travel trailers that I have owned I custom make closed cell foam inserts for any windows. This cuts down on drafts and helps to keep rig warm in cold weather. Easily done and not time consuming. Believe me this does help in cold windy weather. Trailer should weigh in at approx. 1700# with new adds. More to come. MTG

Attachments

• IMG_2270.jpeg
    IMG_2270.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14

MTGunner

MTGunner
I am looking for a “good” retractable awning for this rig. Want something that is self contained that attaches to the roof rack. Does not have to be large. Merely length of Roof rack. MTG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan