Toyo M-55

Paddy

Adventurer
It's really hard to imagine a tire more HD than the toyo MT. They seems fairly bombproof. I get that they look a bit bro, but they aren't just pavement princess looks, they back it up with heavy construction! This M55 must be like solid rubber.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I sure wish someone would make a 285/80R17. Not everyone wants a 35-36" tire that's as wide as the offerings that are currently available.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I sure wish someone would make a 285/80R17. Not everyone wants a 35-36" tire that's as wide as the offerings that are currently available.
Toyo offers a 285-75-18 E-rated tire. Probably the closest you'll find to a taller 285. Probably waay to stiff for you though.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Toyo offers a 285-75-18 E-rated tire. Probably the closest you'll find to a taller 285. Probably waay to stiff for you though.

That's a fine tire for a 3/4- or 1-ton truck, but that would be punishing under a Jeep. I'm also not interested in turning my Jeep into a donk; 17-inch rims are already bigger than I'd like but that's what Rubicons come with. If I could get a C- or D-rated 35x10.5 (actual dimensions) all-terrain tire for a 16 or 17-inch wheel I'd be very happy.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm running 285/75-17 Toyo AT-IIs on my '11 Rubicon Unlimited. They are a load range E, and it drives awesome. 27 psi and road manners as well as offroad are perfect.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Recently bought a set of Toyo open country MTs in a 37 inch load range E. All I can say is what an awesome tire!:Wow1:

Zeep

Adventurer
That's a fine tire for a 3/4- or 1-ton truck, but that would be punishing under a Jeep. I'm also not interested in turning my Jeep into a donk; 17-inch rims are already bigger than I'd like but that's what Rubicons come with. If I could get a C- or D-rated 35x10.5 (actual dimensions) all-terrain tire for a 16 or 17-inch wheel I'd be very happy.

Cooper seems to be our only option http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/90000003080.html

Zeep

Adventurer
Those 255/85R16's measure about 33x10.
I'd like a 35x10.5 - something along the lines of 285/80R17, which would measure 35x11.

Did'nt realize you have a JK, I'm running a LJ Rubicon, and I want to retain my factory wheels
Finding C or D rated tires is difficult at best, with aggressive tread.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Did'nt realize you have a JK, I'm running a LJ Rubicon, and I want to retain my factory wheels
Finding C or D rated tires is difficult at best, with aggressive tread.

I think I'd sacrifice some ride quality for the E tires just because they're 10 ply as opposed to 6 ply with the C rated tires. If you're going over sharp rocks and stuff that extra little bit of rubber could mean the difference between getting a flat or not.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
A little Tire Meister love for the M55...

I've found myself considering the M55 again (had a couple sets, never kept them long). It's a rather old, simple design by today's standards, and I know they 'sing' a bit on the highway and they are expensive. Also, I prefer a bit more void, the S/T MAXX is a great example.

Yet, with my new MoPar Cummins running 18" wheels (I've not found a set of 17s I like yet) and liking the tall, relatively narrow stock size, 275/70R18, studying the traction tires in this size has become 'a job'. Plus, Les Schwab sells Toyo and I like the chain.

In the 275/70R18 size, the M55 is a whopping 33.6-inches tall, and has 18.8/32 of tread depth, those are nice numbers. Of course the M55 has the stone guard rubber down the center between the middle tread ribs, which makes the tread quite shallow there.

So many good tires, so little time to drive. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998