Toyo M-55

I have M55 on my service truck in 235/85-16E and I love them. I was reading the thread on Cooper STT Maxx and I belive "redthis" (Mr Tire on this board) showed the weight rating at a given tire pressure. You would be fine with the E rated tire but just run a lower pressure as I understand it.

bjm206

Adventurer
Longone the increase in weight and diameter will effect acceleration, fuel economy and braking compared to the 265/75-16s you are currently running. The M55's in 255/85-16 are actually heavy compared to most other tires available in that size. The shop you talked to is probably giving good advice for most folks. But if you need a really durable tire and can live with (or compensate for) the negatives they are quality tires.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I haven't decided my path entirely yet. I'm changing some things in my front end configuration and I have to mock things up to see if a 16" wheel will work. If it does, I'll go with the M55s. If I have to go to 17s, I'll likely follow your path and go with the AT IIs although I'm not at all thrilled with the significant increase in tire weight with the AT II Xtremes.

Todd Z.
I'm fine with the weight as I'm already running 285-75-17 Toyo MT's. I experienced a blowout with Bridgestone D-rated 285's on my 2nd gen. $3300 damage in seconds plus came this close to going over the edge on I-15 south in San Diego County. A dab more weight translates into enhanced structural integrity for this heavy ******** beast I drive. No issues with E-rated Toyo's to date.

DT75FLH

Adventurer
I damaged a toyo tire on my tow truck while pulling a trailer. I ran over something on the road that put a 1in crack near the tread on the side wall....due to the size I was running, no one had one on the road. I monitered it at every fuel stop on the road, while towing home (over 1k miles). the crack went to 1.5 inches and never lost air.

i ran toyo muds on my jeep, and on 3 diesel trucks, I have not had a flat or any balance issues on there mud or at tires.

Toyo's have been great for me. and I continually run them. my current "desert truck" is a ford f-250 and I'm running the new toyo at2. supposed to have a lil more tread life at 50K or 60K miles.

EricGagne

Adventurer
:coffee:

Wow, 12 pages of discussion on my (as of yesterday :)) favorite subject. Is there a better way of having my Saturday morning coffee ?

I've been reading everything I can find on the M55 255/85 since yesterday. I'm considering putting them on my 2010 Tacoma TRD Offroad edition but I was wondering if it was a good choice for me. I really want some 33's on my rig but I was wondering if the M55 would be overkill for my Taco and the only other way would be new wheels with a different backspacing and some 285/75. I don't have the budget for the extra expense so I was afraid I would have to settle for 265/75.

But after reading all this, I think the M55 might be the better choice after all. In 2.5 years I only put 26k miles on my truck and at least 30% of it was at avg 75 mph in gravel roads. The M55 looks perfect for this and with my low mileage they would last me forever.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...
But after reading all this, I think the M55 might be the better choice after all. In 2.5 years I only put 26k miles on my truck and at least 30% of it was at avg 75 mph in gravel roads. The M55 looks perfect for this and with my low mileage they would last me forever.

Yep, sounds like a very good choice for your application.

Stock wheels and 255/85 are one of the best 33" setups for many vehicles. In real world terms a 255/85 will give you about 3/4" of lift/height over a 265/75.

EricGagne

Adventurer
Is there cause for concern with the M speed rating ? I know 81 mph is above speed limit everything but still, it seems a little low. I've always wondered if speed rating is expressed for the load index or if it's the max speed regardless of the load.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Is there cause for concern with the M speed rating ? snip...

Only you can decide that. I'd ask myself how much time I routinely drive above 80 MPH, if the tires would be loaded to their maximum, how well you watch inflation pressures, etc.

Arya Ebrahimi

Adventurer
Is there cause for concern with the M speed rating ? I know 81 mph is above speed limit everything but still, it seems a little low. I've always wondered if speed rating is expressed for the load index or if it's the max speed regardless of the load.

Crap, I didn't realize they were only M-rated. I think I need to cancel my order now :(

bfdiesel

Explorer
I have had mine above the speed rating. Looking into speed ratings with a google search if it gives you reservasions, they are kinda hooky.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I just made a deal on a dually with 6 brand new 255/85R16 M55s. I don't think speed rating is a concern on a dually, or any other ExPo rig, for that matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle