Toyo MT 255/85R16 (and comparison pics)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Nope, but I do have pics of KM2 next to Maxxis Bighorn and Cooper ST, just haven't had time upload photos and work on this stuff. The KM2 looks narrower and is lighter.

Will eventually post in the KM2 or Bighorn thread.

Last edited:

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Happen to have a BFG KM2 255 to put next to the Toyo 255?

Just looking at the following pic from page one of this thread -
85IMG_4265.jpg

If comparing total diamters, there is bugger all difference between the two visually.....then again the stated Toyo 33.5 and Bighorns 33.3 must be pretty spot on then.

The Toyo looks chunkier due to the larger tread voids and the tyre itself looks squarer towards the outer edge where the tread meets the side lugs of compared to the bighorn.

Like mentioned, would love to see the above pic with a KM2 next to them.....many owners of the KM2 online on various forums state that the advertised 33.3 diamter is under rated and they are "atleast" 33.5

would be a good comparo I think.

just my 2 cents worth.....:coffee:

IskatRagnar

P, ask and you shall receive ☺

Toyo MT 255/85R16E 60-lbs
Toyo MT 265/75R16E 58-lbs (edited to 58-not 60-lbs)
Toyo MT 285/75R16E 68-lbs

Maxxis Bighorn MT 255/85R16D 57-lbs

Maxxis Bravo At 255/85R16D 58-lbs (3-ply sidewall, no picture here)

BFG MT KM 255/85R16D 51-lbs

Cooper ST 255/85R16D 49-lbs
BFG MT KM2 255/85R16D 54.65-lbs or 24.789 kg according to Michelin Europe

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
BFG MT & Toyo MT 255/85R16

85IMG_4339.jpg

I've never noticed it, but the Toyo is litteraly just a kind of refresh/re-style of the BGF MT's (old ones...) Look at them, they're pretty much the same tread pattern. Kind of a "florida/california" outter tread block going diagonal down into a "C-ish" shaped block. THe BFG looks old and utilitarian, the Toyo's look fancy and swoopy., but none the less it's litteraly the same tread pattern IMO...

CHeers

Dave

78Bronco

Explorer
I've never noticed it, but the Toyo is litteraly just a kind of refresh/re-style of the BGF MT's (old ones...) Look at them, they're pretty much the same tread pattern. Kind of a "florida/california" outter tread block going diagonal down into a "C-ish" shaped block. THe BFG looks old and utilitarian, the Toyo's look fancy and swoopy., but none the less it's litteraly the same tread pattern IMO...

CHeers

Dave

Why change what works? The sping should help the toyo tire in the wet performance dept. Toyo seems to be signifanctly more expensive from what I have seen.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Why change what works? The sping should help the toyo tire in the wet performance dept. Toyo seems to be signifanctly more expensive from what I have seen.

Oh I agree, I like the old BFG's... Not so hot on the Toyo's just becasue they're over twice the price per tire of the old BFG's AND the new KM2's...
I just never noticed that the two were so simillar.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
How about the cooper STT's not trying to start a this vs that but it you want to talk about siping and new age. I will go to them again whether a 285 or 315 has yet to be decided.
P1310542.jpg

AA

juicebox

Adventurer
Are those coopers a 255/85r16?

When I bought tires last year I was considering them but I couldn't find them in any tall skinny sizes so I went with 33x1050s. I am planning to get some bigger brakes which will necessitate getting 16" tires on my stock rims so hopefully these tires will be in the mix...:)

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Are those coopers a 255/85r16?

When I bought tires last year I was considering them but I couldn't find them in any tall skinny sizes so I went with 33x1050s. I am planning to get some bigger brakes which will necessitate getting 16" tires on my stock rims so hopefully these tires will be in the mix...:)

Negative Cooper only made the 255 STT tire for a limited run way back when and then stopped. These are a 285/75/16 mounted on a 16.7 with 4.5" BS.

A

arz

Adventurer
how are these coming out on wear? how many miles are you getting out of them?

I've got a set of 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STTs on my van, but with the 4.10 gears, I want to step the size up a bit. I like the STTs, but they don't make a tall/skinny.

Hazzard

Observer
how are these coming out on wear? how many miles are you getting out of them?

I've got a set of 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STTs on my van, but with the 4.10 gears, I want to step the size up a bit. I like the STTs, but they don't make a tall/skinny.

Bump, I am also curious in this question as I am considering purchasing a set of these tires for my rig.

ashooter

Adventurer
arz and Hazzard, sorry so late...

After looking at my maintenance book, I only have about 9,000 miles on these. Close to half of that is off the pavement over rough rocky roads, so my miles are pretty hard on tires. I'm not sure how many 32nds this is, but I'm guessing by my standards I will be lucky to get another 5,000 miles on these before I feel like I need new tires. I don't like to run treads down as far as most people, though.

There are a few small chips and cuts, but overall I'd say these are holding up extremely well for a mud terrain, considering that this truck pretty much never leaves the carport unless it's headed for the boonies.

Toyo9000.jpg

Just to give some perspective, this is the kind of country I drive this thing in most of the time:
P8310575.jpg

Last edited:

Hazzard

Observer
Thanks for the review ashooter. 14,000 miles doesn't sound too go though.... hmmm. Maybe I should look at some different tires then.

Anyone else have some long term opinions on these tires? Any other mileage estimates?

arz and Hazzard, sorry so late...

After looking at my maintenance book, I only have about 9,000 miles on these. Close to half of that is off the pavement over rough rocky roads, so my miles are pretty hard on tires. I'm not sure how many 32nds this is, but I'm guessing by my standards I will be lucky to get another 5,000 miles on these before I feel like I need new tires. I don't like to run treads down as far as most people, though.

There are a few small chips and cuts, but overall I'd say these are holding up extremely well for a mud terrain, considering that this truck pretty much never leaves the carport unless it's headed for the boonies.

Toyo9000.jpg

Just to give some perspective, this is the kind of country I drive this thing in most of the time:
P8310575.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78