Toyo MT 255/85R16 (and comparison pics)

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
since 255/85/16 are rare, so are the favorite options. I just installed a set of BFG KM2 "pizza cutters" on the FZJ80. Have yet to air'm down and/or get muddy but think they will suit my needs well and fall into the fav' category. I've run Duratrac and Mud Rovers previously so we'll see. BTW the KM2 are no louder on tarmac than the Duratracs...

BCHauler

Adventurer
I put a set of 255/85/16 Km2s on my super duty a month or so ago and, while I like the size, I'm not crazy about the highway manners. Truck wanders a fair bit. With my slide-in camper, the wander is unnerving at times. By comparison, I have run 235/85 Uniroyal AT and new Motomaster winter tires on this truck with the camper and had zero driveability issues. I have also had a nearly bald set of 315/75 Terra grapplers on 10" rims.

Currently, I am running 65lbs in the front and 75lbs in the rear when the camper is on. I'm not sure if increasing the inflation or decreasing will help at all. Any thoughts?

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Currently, I am running 65lbs in the front and 75lbs in the rear when the camper is on. I'm not sure if increasing the inflation or decreasing will help at all. Any thoughts?

That's interesting. I have a set of 255/85 R16 BFG KM2's on my Ex-cab 7.3 shortbed with a Hawk FWC. I've Put on around eight thousand miles on them with this setup, with quite a few of those miles off road. The tires have worked great so far. I did put a Matterhorn size rock through one of the tread blocks on a recent dirt road, but I was able to plug the hole with 7 plugs.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...

How heavy is the camper? Do you know the gross weight on each axle?

jim65wagon

OK, that begs the question...
What is your favorite 255?

PA Can of Worms.jpg
You opened it an now Redline will have lots of time to spend considering the topic. After he remounts all his current stock, retests each, then buys new tires to compare to the old sets........:sombrero:

Erik N

Adventurer
You opened it an now Redline will have lots of time to spend considering the topic. After he remounts all his current stock, retests each, then buys new tires to compare to the old sets........:sombrero:

LOL he didn't answer the question in that article... but he hasn't in his other blogs, either :ylsmoke:

I personally am waivering between the 2 Toyo's. The problem w/ the MT's, for me, is that literally every poser truck here in S. Texas (and there are tons of them) wears those shoes. So that kind of spoils it for me, on a subjective level.

I think the retro-looking M55 would both look and work great my old, stock, square-body Suburban. The tribal-tattoo looking MT's seem more at home on a tricked-out Jeep IMO. But boy are they expensive!

Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
LOL he didn't answer the question in that article... but he hasn't in his other blogs, either :ylsmoke

I read the preference of tires in the order they were listed. Starting with Toyo at the top and ending with the Big Horn's, but maybe I read too much into it?

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
LOL he didn't answer the question in that article... but he hasn't in his other blogs, either :ylsmoke:
snip...

I thought of that possible perception, and even considered adding a rhetorical question at the end :sombrero:
Also could have written more, but that draft was started several days ago, other projects were preventing any form of completion, and I wanted to post!

There will be additional, likely comments on the comments, probably this weekend.

Aren't all 255/85s favorites? ;)

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Who's on First?

I read the preference of tires in the order they were listed. Starting with Toyo at the top and ending with the Big Horn's, but maybe I read too much into it?

Pretty perceptive that there was something to the order. Though maybe one is three and three is one, but KM2 would still be two ;)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...
I personally am waivering between the 2 Toyo's. The problem w/ the MT's, for me, is that literally every poser truck here in S. Texas (and there are tons of them) wears those shoes. So that kind of spoils it for me, on a subjective level.
snip...

The Toyo M/T is extremely popular around here on the poser trucks too...but that does demonstrate what good road tires they are for people who want a certain look and care little (if at all) about off-highway performance.

Having a good or great road tire is important, even for those of us who use our 4WDs as such, but still want them to drive nice on-highway. This has always been one of the big selling points of the Toyo M/T.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
You opened it an now Redline will have lots of time to spend considering the topic. snip...

And the road goes on forever, and we hope the 255/85R16 never ends... ;)

I'm currently the middle of catching up on my continuing 255/85 report(s) on my blog. There is plenty of meat ahead in upcoming posts, as I have time to create them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle