Toyo MT 255/85R16 (and comparison pics)

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Time for a 255/80R17 thread? I might run this on my future dually camper hauler. So far I only see the KM2 in this size.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
That looks like an appealing size since most newer full size trucks have a 17 inch wheel. Thats the problem with the 255/85-16 is that I personally would need new wheels. The KM2 is a little more aggressive than I'm interested in for my daily driver that sees a good amount of highway, but there's slim pickin's for that size. Maybe Toyo will make an ATII in that size soon.....

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Time for a 255/80R17 thread? I might run this on my future dually camper hauler. So far I only see the KM2 in this size.

Not yet unless it's about that specific size KM2, maybe when you buy a set? :)

I'm very interested in the 255/80 size, but as you say only the KM2 for now. While I don't dislike the KM2, it's not a tire I care to invest my time and money on at the moment (I have run them before).

There are substantiated rumors that Cooper will make the S/T MAXX in 255/80R17 in several months. That's very good news for people that prefer a 255 width tire but can't run 16 inch wheels on their trucks, or don't want to buy new wheels. In about one year+ I bet you might see a published review on the 255/80 MAXX ;)

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I run the Coopers in 285/70-17 and am fairly happy with them, not too noisy and have pretty decent traction, pitiful on ice though. If I could get them in the 255/80 I think I probably would.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If Cooper does the ST Maxx in 255/80R17, I'm in! Provided of course they aren't $350 per... I don't love the KM2 either, but I want at least a 33" tall tire, but don't want to run spacers on the rear duals.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Tires are expensive these days and who knows what a 255/80 might cost. Though often 255/85s are little less expensive than other special sizes or larger treads. I'm hoping that with careful shopping we will be able to find them for $300 or less, maybe even $250 or less to be competitive? The 255/80 KM2 at mail order houses seems a good value ($229 @ TireRack currently).

rideglobally

Adventurer
17 or 16 wheels

i was decided on a toyo 285/85R17 after reading this thread and other research, then when i went out to get the tires and wheel i have not found a place here in Los Angeles that sells the 17 wheels. now i am re thinking my decision. i can get the 17 wheel with more effort but i don't think i want a set of wheels and tires that is that hard to find. now i am kind of undecided. i am thinking of going to toyo 285/75R16 or 255/85R16 (more pricey) because the 16" wheel are easier to obtain. i went for the 285/75R17 because they are bigger in diameter by about 1" but i am not sure it is worth all these hassle. i am pretty decided on toyo. toyo gurus, pls give me guidance. is that one inch really make a difference. currently i have BGR 35x12.50 R15. how much difference will the diameter of the tires make. my rig is 9000 pounds when fully loaded.:coffeedrink:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Personally I'm much less concerned about wheel availability than I am tire availability. Once you have your wheels the odds of problems or need for more wheels are very slim. However, you will need more tires to wrap around your rims later as tires wear or flatten.

I'm not arguing that 17s are better than 16s, just that ordering the wheels you want should not be a major deterrent.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I considered the Toyos in 255/85/16. But after Robbie Gordon's belligerent and egotistic behavior at Dakar, for a third year in a row, I sent my money to BFG instead. They seem like really good tires, but I just can't buy into the branding that Toyo has created with Robbie.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I considered the Toyos in 255/85/16. But after Robbie Gordon's belligerent and egotistic behavior at Dakar, for a third year in a row, I sent my money to BFG instead. They seem like really good tires, but I just can't buy into the branding that Toyo has created with Robbie.

Robbie Gordon is an a$$hat. That said, Toyo MTs are way better than the new KM2s. Enjoy your tires.

rideglobally

Adventurer
Toyo 255/85R16 MT or M55 255/85R16

i need to go get some tires soon. again my rig is 9000 pound fully loaded. i would say it is driven 60% highways and the other 40% in washboards, large pot holes, sand and snow. my rig rarely go faster than 65 MPH. i was gonna get the 285/75R17 but now after re reading this thread from beginning to end and comparing the specs of the tire i am now considering Toyo 255/85R16 MT or the M55 255/85R16. according to rating on the toyo tire website the MT is quieter than the M55 also cheaper than M55, but MT thread wear faster. which one would you recommend.
:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78