Toyo Open Country Tires

ashooter

Adventurer
Redline,

It's not that the truck has any trouble turning the 255's, it's that they turn too fast when I need to creep over the rough stuff to keep from banging my head on the ceiling. I'm not really unhappy with these tires - I just think I can fine-tune my selection a bit after the year or so more experience I have now with THIS truck in THIS terrain.

Wilbur

Adventurer
I emailed Toyo about making a 35x10.5 in either 16" or 17" size and talked about this site. Here is what I got back from them

Thank you for your interest in our tires, we appreciate it. We
apologize for the delay in responding to your request. Your suggestion
has been forwarded to our new product development group for evaluation.
We will consider this size in the future and your feedback will help us
decide.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Sounds like a generic response they give to product suggestions....ive had a few responses like that myself from other companies.

Hope they do consider it...a true 35/x10.5x16 would be awesome....

Awkragt

Adventurer
Love my 35x12.5x17 Toyo MTs on my 2dr JK. The side lugs work really well on the rocks. Fairly stiff tire so you've got to figure out what pressure you want to run at. Had them down to 6psi and wasn't too concerned about holding the bead on a 8.5" wide rim. Like everyone else has said the downsides are similair to any mud terrain; lugs rounding, small chucks of lugs breaking off (pea sized), light pulls either direction on the road sorta random depending on tire rotation. Noise is way less than I expected with a hard top you probably wouldn't even notice it. Favorite part is how beafy they look. I've got a full 12.5" tread width were my buddies km2s in the same size are about 10" at the tread.

Great in rocks and mud, still figuring out optimum tire pressures.

For even wear 'chalk test' it about 28psi, but I usually run them at 35psi for better gas mileage.

For logging roads or expedition driving I'd do about 22psi for the ride quality.

Trails 11/12 psi
Snow 7 psi

ashooter

Adventurer
Anybody running these M/T's in 235/85R16? If so, any photos you can post?

I'm debating whether to go with another set of M/T's or switch to M55's. In either case, I'm about 98% set on dropping down in size from 255 to 235. The M/T's have been rock solid on my truck, so I'm leaning that way - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

cruiserfred

Observer
toyo tire

last week i went in to buy that tire in that size from a dealer who sells me a lot of big truck tires ,he told me that they're on back order for awhile Fred

Mamontof

Explorer
I read all the post regarding TOYO Tires

I Have right nay Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ they Great tire ...but not in snow

1004dp_02+mickey_thompson_baja_MTZ_tires+mickey_thompson_wheels.jpg

I wood like to read some opinion if make a sense change to Toyo Tire Open Country M/T
0813tr_09_z+2008_ford_f150_buildup+toyo_open_country_tires.jpg

Thanks for suggestion

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
My short answer is that I don't see the Toyo M/T being a much better snow/ice tire than the Mickey Thompson MTZ (a tire I have considered but not run in the past). Look at the siping, or lack of it.

Last edited:

micko

From a review I did of the Toyo for a travel/4x4 website down our way. Best tyre I've used.

Having seen Toyo Open Country Tyres in operation during our Great Sandy expedition of 2009, I was determined that they would be my tyre of choice for the big rig. Other points of consideration for me were their load carrying ability and side wall construction and strength.

I secured six 285/75-R16 tyres, mounted to Speedie steel Sunraysia type rims. Having travelled extensively off track over the past years, I am familiar with the damage that can be done to a tyre by rocks sticks and even the odd tech screw. This year was no exception. Three of our vehicles had the Toyo’s on this year and for a total of 14 tyres on the ground, we had 5 punctures in 14,000 km (11,000 on dirt and rock, 1800 totally off track, desert crossings). Ten tyres of another well known brand had closer to 40 punctures for the same country.

I cannot speak highly enough of the Open Country MT. It took everything I could throw at it. It operated well in soft sand at pressures below 20psi (but I wouldn’t want to be doing that all day) and would go all day every day at 25psi. The tread pattern extends all the way to the buttress area and the open-shoulder design means very good road handling as well as extra grip in sand and slush. The shoulder is also scalloped meaning that there is little chipping or tearing of the tread blocks, particularly in rocky areas that can be associated with full width, square shoulded tyres such as a Cooper ST/STC. The tyre is still quiet on the road and provides good handling in all conditions. As a compensation to the load I had on this year, I ran the tyres a lot higher than I would some other brands and again, their resistance to sidewall damage from stakes and rocks were amazing. These tyres have one of the highest load ratings of any comparable tyres available on the market. (1700 kgs or 3740lbs for the 285/75 10 plys like mine). They will also handle high operating temperatures (in excess of 80C).

Only complaint, the bead filler system means that they have a tendency to throw normal, side clipped tyre weights. When balancing, I would recommended to use flat weights and have them siliconed to the rim rather than standard clip on. Small inconvenience for the quality of the tyre.

The whole article;
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/92954.75/12/2010/Product_Review_No_1_-_Toyo_Open_Country_MT_tyres__285_75-R16__and_Speedie_16x8_steel_rims.aspx?ky=&p=%2fMembers%2f92954.75%2fMyBlog.aspx

Cornfed

I have to tell you my ice story as it relates to my Toyos...

1121090709_oN6XF-L.jpg

I have 35s on an 04 Dodge 2500.

We had an ice storm here in Georgia a few weeks ago. One of our employees got stuck at a job site it was so bad. She fell on the way to her car and when she tried to pull up a mild driveway, she just spun her wheels. She had a new baby at a baby sitter so I offered to go pick her up and get her baby and get her home. I'm fairly experienced driving on snow and ice and realize that no matter how good you are or how many tires are tracking...ice just sucks and it's nothing to play with.

I head out to pick her up and there is literally a car a mile off into the ditch. It was nasty! I gently drove in 4wd to her. I picked her up and got her to her baby sitter and then home, walking up hills that others were sliding off of. Even other trucks with decent tires. My Toyos stuck so well I really couldn't believe it. I had no business on those roads, but had to get her baby from daycare for her.

I stepped out of my truck in front of her house to drop her off. I had good boots on and still had to hold on to the truck to walk around and let her and the baby out. I had to dump cat litter on the road and her driveway so that she could walk into her house. I could not believe that my truck held fast where I couldn't even walk.

I don't know if they have some magic rubber or whatever? But these Toyos are awesome! This is my second set and I got 45,000 miles out of the first. (I drive very mellow admittedly...)

I won't likely change brands while they are still making this tire.

Cheers,

V

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I have to tell you my ice story as it relates to my Toyos...

1121090709_oN6XF-L.jpg

I have 35s on an 04 Dodge 2500.

We had an ice storm here in Georgia a few weeks ago. One of our employees got stuck at a job site it was so bad. She fell on the way to her car and when she tried to pull up a mild driveway, she just spun her wheels. She had a new baby at a baby sitter so I offered to go pick her up and get her baby and get her home. I'm fairly experienced driving on snow and ice and realize that no matter how good you are or how many tires are tracking...ice just sucks and it's nothing to play with.

I head out to pick her up and there is literally a car a mile off into the ditch. It was nasty! I gently drove in 4wd to her. I picked her up and got her to her baby sitter and then home, walking up hills that others were sliding off of. Even other trucks with decent tires. My Toyos stuck so well I really couldn't believe it. I had no business on those roads, but had to get her baby from daycare for her.

I stepped out of my truck in front of her house to drop her off. I had good boots on and still had to hold on to the truck to walk around and let her and the baby out. I had to dump cat litter on the road and her driveway so that she could walk into her house. I could not believe that my truck held fast where I couldn't even walk.

I don't know if they have some magic rubber or whatever? But these Toyos are awesome! This is my second set and I got 45,000 miles out of the first. (I drive very mellow admittedly...)

I won't likely change brands while they are still making this tire.

Cheers,

V

I love how my bro-in-law (from MI) in Roanoke, VA tells us about how everything has to shut down when they get an "1 of snow and everyone panics.

Cornfed

I love how my bro-in-law (from MI) in Roanoke, VA tells us about how everything has to shut down when they get an "1 of snow and everyone panics.
Yeah...they're pretty lame around here. My wife is from Maine and laughs her *** off that they close the schools because of 1 inch of snow.

Ice is a different story though. That just sucks no matter where you live.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12