Toyota Van?

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Martinjmpr said:
Considering that they were only made in small numbers between about 1987 and 1991 or so, even the "newest" ones are approaching 17 years old, so finding one in cherry condition would be difficult.

Ours was a 1985 model. We drove from Socal to Alaska in 86, stopping in BC for the World Expo. It was a memorable vacation for me (I was 13).

You are right, I'll never find one in good shape at this point, but I was looking for the "cherry" one about 10 years ago! Should have included that small detail;) Never found the one I was looking for either.

They were sold in the US in 1984, the same year Chrysler introduced their minivan to the US market. 4wd models appeared in 1987 I think.

IronViking

The Little space ship shape is awsome to me.They look like escape
pods form a scifi movie. My friend bought a 4x4 and is putting a tent on top like
you see on the Land Rovers . Ill try and get a pic today of his ride if I can.
Ive been super happy with my 2wd, untill I got stuck in my drive way.
my rears were sitting on ice and my front wheels were just slighty bumping some rocks so the van would not rock back and forth. Thats when I decided
i got to get the 4x4. My girl really want to trade her Mons-ter-o cuase she loves mu 2wd so much.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Saw one today with an Ezi-Awn tent up top rolling down the street of Sandy (Utah) :cool: Things are growing on me.

IronViking

Yea I love those newer ones too.
If I had the option I would get the lite ace,
with the little sky lites down the side.
Your right, from what Ive heard its hard to get
them legal here in the US.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
hoser said:
I saw this cool little Toyota 4wd van while in Greece. This thing was really small
attachment.php
This actually is a Subaru E10, not a Toyota. The front seats could swivel 180 degrees the 2 rear seat rows folded flat to a6 foot bed. Small 1.2 liter 4 cylinder engine in the rear, part time 4x4, no low box but a granny first. Biggest challange offroading were the small 12" (or 13", don't remember anymore) wheels.

hoser

Explorer
Oh, no wonder! I didn't really have time to check it out as we were in a rush. It just looked like a miniature version of what I was familiar seeing, a Toyota van. Thanks for the correction. I'd buy one if they had those available here.

A couple of guys flogging their Subaru E12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKlChdee7-0

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I'd roll one of these little Toyota 4x4 vans :coffeedrink:

Is it just me, or was all the really cool stuff from Toyota made in the 80's?

4x4 van, 4Runner, mini truck, Celica Supra etc...

Cackalak Han

Explorer
cruiseroutfit said:
Funny you should ask, a good freind of mines older brother (Olly Bradstreet for those that know him) runs a Toyota Van website

Does he drive a blue-ish van with a RTT and A/T tires? I saw one on Ft. Union and 13th. Looked pretty cool.

slosurfer

Adventurer
I'm actually flying to CO next week to pick up one of these vans to use for work (and play :jump: ). It is a '89 4wd Manual. I wanted to make sure I got the manual since it has the 4hi and 4lo, while the automatic just has the 4hi (although you can swap in the transfercase from a manual).

Because of gas prices, I have been cutting way back on driving my 89 F250 except for hauling tile/sand/cement etc.... and have been driving my 4runner which gets slightly better gas mileage but not great for hauling tools/supplies/ etc... The van will get the gas mileage of the 4runner and F250 combined and has plenty of room to haul my tools. I'll still use the F250 for those heavy loads and sand. I also didn't like how I was piling on the miles on the 4runner.

vanna7.jpg

kcowyo

ExPo Original
slosurfer said:
I'm actually flying to CO next week to pick up one of these vans to use for work and play....

Score! :clapsmile

I'm not even gonna make a joke about how you have all of these kids and now a mini-van. Your rep is safe with me. ;)

slosurfer

Adventurer
kcowyo said:
Score! :clapsmile

I'm not even gonna make a joke about how you have all of these kids and now a mini-van. Your rep is safe with me. ;)

:xxrotflma I know, I talked my wife out of a minivan and sold her on the Tacoma Dcab as a family car, now I'll be the one sporting a van for work. hehe Besides, chicks dig vans, right? My wife's jealous that I get to fly to CO and a mini solo roadtrip home. She rocks, and I owe her her own trip once the little one is done breastfeeding.

Calamari, it will only have 205,000 by the time I get it home ( I say "only", because you should see the mileage they get out of these things).

It has some rust issues on the rear right wheelwell. I have someone who is going to help me with that and then I'll herculine the rocker panels and wheelwells.

It has those annoying automatic hubs, but the cool thing is that a set of aisin manual hubs from a 86-95 IFS truck or 4runner will bolt right on, you just need the two big 54mm nuts and the key washers. So, I'll be on the lookout for a set from someone who has gone SAS.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle