Toyota Van?

slosurfer

Adventurer
Calvin, I'm actually on the central coast of CA. I'd like to make it up that way for a trip though. That is a very nice bumper he is building. It will be cool to see it finished. I'm a member there as well (using the same username):wavey: I joined when I missed out on an 87 4wd manual cargo van that was local to me. You guys over there are great and I have already learned a ton. Hopefully I'll have cell service for most the trip, just incase something happens and I can use my blackberry to check in there for advice. Here's my intro thread: http://www.toyotavans.net:81/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4528

Maybe in a couple years I could have it ready for Moab.:punk03: (although, I think I want to take the 4runner there first )

Even though I may not be able to do much to it for a little bit, I promise to get some vids of me bombing around Oceano Dunes in it. :)

Turdle

Well I never did say that I don't like the crack pipe. It would be very interesting to see how the van does in the softer sand :26_16_2: . If you ever do get up this way give me a jingle.

As far as Moab goes it may take that long for me to get ready too. I plan to SAS the van before that. Lackashop syndrome has its drawbacks though.

Best of luck on the trip,

Calvin

Sloan

Explorer
Don't give up hope of finding the cherry one, I had a conversation with an older gentleman the other day who was the one owner of a 4WD 85 Tercel. That car looked like he had just picked it up from a dealer, they are out there. :D

IronViking

I placed an ad on Craigs list wanted section for a 4x4 TV and had a ton of people contact me. I picked one up in spokan for 750$ and will prob spend as much to get it expo ready. But we drive it everyday I love it.
The dude building the bumper in Seattle is my good friend .
He is planing on doing the roof mount tent and all. He has some great Ideas and skills. Weve got our own TV club going onthe EXPO site yea!!
Long Live the TV.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
IronViking said:
I placed an ad on Craigs list wanted section for a 4x4 TV and had a ton of people contact me. I picked one up in spokan for 750$ and will prob spend as much to get it expo ready. But we drive it everyday I love it.
He is planing on doing the roof mount tent and all. He has some great Ideas and skills. Weve got our own TV club going onthe EXPO site yea!!
Long Live the TV.

Post some pics of that sucker.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
IronViking said:
Long Live the TV.

Putting a RTT on a van? Isn't that a bit redundant?

Funrover

Expedition Leader
These are one of the few mini vans I would actually like. The others are the VW's. but you didn't hear me say that LOL

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Martinjmpr said:
Putting a RTT on a van? Isn't that a bit redundant?

Couldn't you say the same about having a Tacoma w/ 6ft. bed and a shell? :elkgrin: I'm sure he plans to use the interior space for cargo and gear then the RTT for sleeping.

slosurfer

Adventurer
Here are a few pics from the trip home. First I need to get her to pass smog and get some rust issues taken care of and then I can start sneaking some expedition type stuff past my wife.

Somewhere off the 24 in CO
IMG_7336.jpg

Red Cyn, UT just outside of Bryce Cyn National Park
IMG_7351.jpg

Tunnel going through Zion National Park
IMG_7388.jpg

Soda Lake, CA Mojave National Preserve
IMG_7403.jpg

The locking cage that the previous owner built
IMG_7411.jpg

IMG_7412.jpg

These are a blast to drive! I think I have perma-grin when I'm driving her.:jump:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Nice!

Good looking van and good call on taking the scenic route home. Sweet pics. Looking forward to seeing where this thing goes - :lurk:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
yota vans

kcowyo said:
Nice!

Good looking van and good call on taking the scenic route home. Sweet pics. Looking forward to seeing where this thing goes - :lurk:

Way to go with the van.
Yeah, the yota vans are sweet. I took a good long look at them. Had a few beers with Yota van guru in Bellingham, with the white 4x4 w/ white wheels.

He always seems to have an extra van around incase anyone is looking for one.

Knows em inside and out fer sure. If I remember correctly, he can get springs for lifts.

I'll be watching this one, too.

Cheers

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
I have liked the 4x4 Toyota vans since the parents of a girl I dated in high school had one. The funny thing is, this thread popped into my mind when we were out in Death Valley a few weeks ago and there was a nice one at the Furnace Creek camp ground. It had a lift, aftermarket "wagon wheels", M/T tires, a custom push bar, and the distinct patina of being used. The funny thing is I/we never saw the owners of the van once the evening we stayed there.

The real bummer is that none of us got any pictures of it, despite gawking at it for a while. :littlefriend:

slosurfer

Adventurer
Thanks guys, I probably won't get to do to much too her till smog and some rust issues, but that won't stop me from getting some use out of her. It's totally different driving this offroad compared to the 4runner. And man, the dust infiltrates this thing like no other! It seems like it was pouring in from between every interior panel in the rear, I had the vents all off and it was bad! I had to have my window down just to breath, lol.

I hope to test her out at Oceano Dunes this weekend!

Here's the link to my whole trip, I also did a "hut trip" in CO over the weekend with friends. Vanna's Trip Home

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Very Cool!!! I know exactly what HUT you were at. man I am jealous, that is a great way to have fun. Glad to hear you enjoy the van!

slosurfer

Adventurer
I would love to go back to that hut for a week with my snowboard. Pick a direction and do a couple runs each day. It makes for a killer trip hiking in and hiking out the next day on very little sleep. I was just glad to get to use my gear again. I need to get a real pack though and a backpacking sleeping bag. Mine's really warm but heavy, it's a -20degree bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears