Traded Tacoma for '16 ecoboost F-150. Heresy?!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Man, that read like an epic adventure for sure. :)
How do you think you'd have fared if you were on 35" tires, with a corresponding lift?

CrappyHorizon

Just finished reading through this thread, and there's one question I didn't see you answer- how's the fuel economy? Does the 2.7 deliver on its promises?

Just finished reading through this thread, and there's one question I didn't see you answer- how's the fuel economy? Does the 2.7 deliver on its promises?

Can't speak for the OP, but here is my experience for daily driving. I am about 50/50 highway/city, and highway is either 70+mph or stop and go (neither good for mileage). 2.7 liter 4x4 with stock 20x8.5 wheels/32" tires, 1.5" leveling kit, and heavy foot: avg around 20mpg mixed, have seen 24+ on the freeway driving "normal". At the end of the month I will be doing a week long offroad and expect the mileage to drop to probably mid teens, may be better

p nut

butter
As with any engine, the MPG depends heavily on your driving style. I drive conservatively, and on the highway (~70MPH) I was at 24MPG stock. With 33's, that dipped by a couple MPG's. The little 2.7L engine delivers, but you do need to keep your foot out of it for max efficiency. If I'm boosting a little too much, it goes down pretty fast.

adrstout

Adventurer
Wow. Didn't check in for a week and a half and things blew up in here lol! :ylsmoke:

Are you on the MidwestOverlanders FB group as well?
Sure am! I help admin the group actually :campfire:

Mine is getting heavier springs and new shocks today.

Nice what did you go with? I really need to upgrade myself.

Man, that read like an epic adventure for sure. :)
How do you think you'd have fared if you were on 35" tires, with a corresponding lift?

Not much different honestly. The few sections that exceeded my limits were entirely wheelbase related. Don't think 35s would have made much difference. My buddy in an FJ on 33s got hung up too. Only the JK on 35s didn't.

Seconded on the question!

My answer to this (and all the other questions of fuel economy): bone stock I was averaging 21-22. These days it is more like 18.5mpg but there has been a big change not only inthe truck (I easily carry around 500lbs more now) but in how and where I drive. My daily commute is no longer on the highway but mostly city. Basically, my response echoes p nut's and El Gigante's responses above.

On this trip I averaged 17.7mpg and that was in exceptionally windy conditions and lots of trail time just idling.

Great thread. Does the trash bag onbthe tailgate scratch the paint?

I haven't had an issue so far but you aren't the first to bring it up. I've considered putting some clear film on the tailgate to eliminate the worry.

adrstout

Adventurer
BTW, if anyone is interested I'm on Instagram: overlandfx4.

Another thing that happened in my overlanding life is I led a group of people from Midwest Overlanders through South Central IN on what we called our "Tour of Tulips." Hit a number of scenic spots and tried to stay off pavement as much as possible (not that easy in IN unfortunately). We have had a ton of rain so water crossings were numerous due to flooded roads. We had about 10 rigs. Full album here: https://goo.gl/photos/EirrySVJgx9f825v6

This weekend is a much needed maintenance weekend! Changing some fluids, painting skids/sliders, greasing my slip yoke (getting a clunk sometimes now), and adjusting my softopper which has stretched a bit since I bought it.

adrstout

Adventurer
Whoa! Idk what happened but I totally let this die. To be fair, I really haven't done anything of interest to the truck but I did go to Colorado back in June, been camping a few times, and I'm heading north to Wisconsin to run part of the TWAT later this month. Hope to have some small cosmetic and storage related projects done over the next few weeks but I've put the truck build on hiatus for a bit while I focus my budget in other areas. Just enjoying the truck as is for now :smiley_drive:

Also, picked up this 1995 Explorer with a buddy in the mean time. The plan is to run a Gambler 500 next year. Bought some cheap 31s and the plan is to chop the roof behind the rear door. Also, it needs brakes BAD!

Colorado pics
_RLS0490.JPG
_RLS0500.JPG
_RLS0549.JPG
_RLS0576.JPG

Camping on friend's farm (minibikes!)
20170722_094112.jpg

Camping in Hoosier National Forest last weekend
20170805_090522.jpg

The Gambler!
20170712_202436.jpg

Forum statistics