Traded Tacoma for '16 ecoboost F-150. Heresy?!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The 3.5's are quick. I had one take off next to me on the freeway. I can't say I've ever seen a pickup with that much power.
MPG wise though my neighbor's 3.5 Eco 2wd averages 15-16 mpg with stock size Michelins.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
The 3.5's are quick. I had one take off next to me on the freeway. I can't say I've ever seen a pickup with that much power.
MPG wise though my neighbor's 3.5 Eco 2wd averages 15-16 mpg with stock size Michelins.

I special ordered an XLT with the 3.5 eco, 3.55 gears, a year ago and picked it up on 20 May. Like every other vehicle I own, I keep detailed records. My overall average since the day I picked it up is 20.3 mpg. And that's coming from the Excel spreadsheet I keep the data in, not the lie-o-meter in the dash that tells me I'm getting close to 22 mpg.
I chose this configuration because I'd read that those twin turbos were programmed to make loads of low-end torque like a diesel and that turns out to be absolutely correct. No shifting going up hills, just like my "big" truck with the Cummins. Smooth, powerful, quiet - and so far, trouble-free! In case you can't tell, I'm impressed!

p nut

butter
I appreciate the responses, sorry to butt in on your thread.

I just test drove the F150 and will be sticking with Ram for various reasons after the test drive. Great looking truck though!

Towing with the Ecoboost (as far as power) is amazing. Especially at elevation. The new 3.5 with 10-sp would probably be even better. If I were towing 7k lb+, I would definitely get the HD Payload package, though, which gets you a GVWR of 7,850.
_
But if you've already got a Ram, and it does the job, I'd just keep that.

bdp1978

Adventurer
Towing with the Ecoboost (as far as power) is amazing. Especially at elevation. The new 3.5 with 10-sp would probably be even better. If I were towing 7k lb+, I would definitely get the HD Payload package, though, which gets you a GVWR of 7,850.
_
But if you've already got a Ram, and it does the job, I'd just keep that.

Yeah, I dont want to hijack this entire thread. But I'll share a few thoughts on the F150 I test drove. 2017 F150 Sport with 2.7 Eco, 6 speed, and 3.55 gears with electronic locker. 2.7 moved right along, I felt like it needed more revs than the hemi. Other than getting used to the sound I thought the engine was solid.

The thing I didnt like was the ride.....hard to completely explain but the truck felt skiddish compared to my ram. Not as sturdy or planted and even the steering seemed way too light. Of course I was offered to take a 3.5 or 5.0 for a ride but I declined. First impression had been made and knew an F150 wasnt for me. Not sure if its just that Ive grown used to coil rears over the years and the leaf rear was just that much different.

I LOVED the tailgate step, the flat rear floor, and the pistol style shifter, and the looks. They are REALLY sharp looking trucks.

Anyways, SORRY FOR THE HIJACK OP!!!!

Last edited:

adrstout

Adventurer
Yeah, I dont want to hijack this entire thread. But I'll share a few thoughts on the F150 I test drove. 2017 F150 Sport with 2.7 Eco, 6 speed, and 3.55 gears with electronic locker. 2.7 moved right along, I felt like it needed more revs than the hemi. Other than getting used to the sound I thought the engine was solid.

The thing I didnt like was the ride.....hard to completely explain but the truck felt skiddish compared to my ram. Not as sturdy or planted and even the steering seemed way too light. Of course I was offered to take a 3.5 or 5.0 for a ride but I declined. First impression had been made and knew an F150 wasnt for me. Not sure if its just that Ive grown used to coil rears over the years and the leaf rear was that much difference.

I LOVED the tailgate step, the flat rear floor, and the pistol style shifter, and the looks. They are REALLY sharp looking trucks.

Anyways, SORRY FOR THE HIJACK OP!!!!

Your complaint about the ride quality isn't uncommon with these trucks. I think the weight reduction on the newer gen and minimal if any suspension updates created a rough ride. I'm actually in a loaner today since I took mine in for service and it rides worse than mine. Mine carries at least 500 lbs over stock though at all times and I think that settles things down.

It doesn't bother me any. It rides WAY better than my old Taco and I plan to upgrade the suspension anyways.

p nut

butter
It doesn't bother me any. It rides WAY better than my old Taco and I plan to upgrade the suspension anyways.

I agree. It does ride a bit harsher than other 1/2 tons, but way better than my old Tacoma or 4Runner. Seats are way better as well.

adrstout

Adventurer
Couple smaller projects done over the weekend:

Organized all my recovery gear under the platform and mounted axe/shovel on the side. This clears up a ton of bed space. Stage 2 of the platform build will be building a box over the passenger wheelwell to eventually clear some of that out so I can keep cooking stuff under the main platform permanently. But, this will likely be my setup for Utah next month and Colorado in June. Cooking gear will stay in it's crate for now.
20170311_163244.jpg

The stupid pic is rotated for no apparent reason but I added an EZ down tailgate assist since my basic truck didn't come with it. Now that I'm sleeping in the bed this is a necessity and is just a general nicety anyways.
20170311_163249.jpg

Finally cut my overly long u-bolts and replaced the stock shocks with the Bilstein 5100s I've had lying around for about 3 months now. Rear end settled down noticeably.
20170311_165508.jpg

adrstout

Adventurer
Another project finally complete after having the parts since December. Installed a 20" single row lightbar behind the grille and 2 A-pillar spots on SDHQ mounts. The SDHQ mounts are great quality. I'm really impressed. A friend helped me wire it all up because I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to that kind of stuff but I learned a lot getting this project done. Installed the switches in the plastic cupholder that sits over the transmission hump. It's a convenient spot and also a part I had no issue cutting holes in haha.

A-Pillar lights need to be aimed. They are pointed a bit down now and getting a good amount of glare on the hood. Hoping that can be minimized with proper aiming to an acceptable level. If not, I will likely be in the market for some flat black vinyl. I love having the bar behind the grille since i'm not a huge fan of light bar aesthetics.

Last major project done before heading to Utah next week! Went through all my gear to double check I had everything in order this weekend. Can't wait!

20170325_162229.jpg

IMG_20170325_211513_482.jpg

20170325_174624.jpg

20170325_182654.jpg

20170325_205337.jpg

kmlacroix

Explorer
not playing favorites, but im curious on everyones take on the bed? Im sure everyone has seen the chevy commercial with the patio blocks and the tool box being dropped in the aluminum bed. how durable is it to you guys?

Took more than one take to perforate the ford bed. The Chevy bed also perforated.

adrstout

Adventurer
So which lightbar did you install. Did you have to do anything special to clear the shutters? I am wanting to do the same.

I ordered this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H7X8IWE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I ordered it specifically because they said they already had mounts that would work perfectly and they *mostly* did lol. Had to enlarge some holes in the plastic over the radiator to make it fit perfectly but it definitely clears the shutters. The light bar performs well in terms of light output but we will see how it holds up over time.

I ordered this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H7X8IWE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I ordered it specifically because they said they already had mounts that would work perfectly and they *mostly* did lol. Had to enlarge some holes in the plastic over the radiator to make it fit perfectly but it definitely clears the shutters. The light bar performs well in terms of light output but we will see how it holds up over time.

I have the 5 bar grill, so not sure if it will work with mine or not. I've been looking at that same one. I want to do the upfitter switch assembly for a stock switching look, but it is $$ and not in line with my build plans.

adrstout

Adventurer
I have the 5 bar grill, so not sure if it will work with mine or not. I've been looking at that same one. I want to do the upfitter switch assembly for a stock switching look, but it is $$ and not in line with my build plans.

I actually got an email from amazon to answer your question lol but I can't. I imagine it would but I'm not totally sure to be honest. The upfitter switches are sweet. I looked at them but I wanted to mount my switches somewhere that didn't require cutting anything that couldn't be easily replaced. Luckily the cup holders provided that and are still a convenient location.

I actually got an email from amazon to answer your question lol but I can't. I imagine it would but I'm not totally sure to be honest.

Maybe you can help anyway . If you get chance, could you please measure from the top of the plastic radiator shroud to the top and bottom of the light bar. . With those measurements I'll know if it fits or not.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

adrstout

Adventurer
Just thought I'd check in on my build thread since it has been a while. No major updates to the truck but I did go to Utah (trip report link below). During that trip I dented up my driveshaft so I did have a new one built in Salt Lake City. That was fun...
20170412_165833.jpg

I have a huge list of maintenance items I still need to complete this weekend and a few other small projects before I head to Colorado in June! Most of that is just organization in the bed like a more solid jerry can mount (current bungeed and cable locked to bedside). The other one is moving some of my larger recovery gear items out from under the platform and mounted on the passenger bedside. This will hopefully allow me to keep some basic cooking gear at hand right under the platform so I don't have to pull out a crate to boil water :chef:

Here's a couple pics but there are more in the trip report.
_RLS2753.JPG P1030740.JPG P1030818.JPG

Utah trip report:
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...s-conquer-White-Rim-and-more-(my-perspective)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior