trailer brake opinions/experiences...

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
All,

I am considering getting an expedition type trailer with the ability to haul around a ZTR (Zero turn radius mower/ ATV). My research has led me to a modular trailer system like that of the Outlander Sherpa II. Anyway, my question is regarding a trailer braking system. Specifically, is it required? The weight of the trailer would probably be around 1800 lbs fully loaded either with camping gear or a mower/atv. I would like the flexibility of taking this trailer off the beaten path...If needed, should I get a 'time delayed' or a 'proportional' brake controller? In my limited scope, the proportional controller is considered 'safer' and overall 'better' on the braking system as a whole...? I have not found why this is...By the way, my tow vehicle is a moderately lifted 1998 4-runner(V6) with factory brakes. Thanks in advance for your advice, expertise, and insight...

Regards,

BWJ

Robert Bills

Explorer
All,

my question is regarding a trailer braking system. Specifically, is it required? The weight of the trailer would probably be around 1800 lbs fully loaded

BWJ

Some/most states require trailer brakes for trailers weighing more than 1500 lbs.

You should have trailer brakes even if your state doesn't require trailer brakes for your particular trailer/load. Its a safety issue. Unbraked trailers of any weight will lengthen the stopping distance of your tow rig. Also, electronic brake controllers allow you to separately brake your trailer - which can stop fishtailing and add a degree of control in offroad situations.

I would like to have brakes for my '46 Bantam T3-C, but haven't been able to source an affordable electric over hydraulic system so that I can use my stock axle. Much more affordable pure electric systems are available with Dexter axles, which can be set up with an emergency brake.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Having used both, the proportional controller is hands down better in every situation I can think of. Specifically off road, the trailer will automatically put on some degree of braking as soon as you start down hill and "touch" the brake pedal, usually giving better control of the vehicle.

On the road, it's just plain better, smoother and more predicable. On my old truck on a slow stop, the time delay would come on, and start slowing down the vehicle, so I would let off the brake slightly, and the trailer brakes would come off, causing a lurch, and forcing me to push down on the brakes again, thus repeating the cycle.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I haven't used any trailer brakes yet, but I think it's pretty clear, on a muddy downhill... you want all the braking control you can get. I plan to buy a Prodige unless somebody has any other suggestions.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
No question that electronic brake controller in the tow rig managing your trailer brakes is the way to go. Huge improvment on safety as adds alot of control when off roading. Don't give it a second thought.:victory:

I tow a 2000 LB KK trailer with my 4Runner and the trailer brakes have saved my bacon more than once. Just a better towing experience all around in all conditions.

mrchips

Adventurer
Glad I opted for the trailer brakes on my Chaser, you sure take notice when you need to stop in a hurry. Best mod you can add in my book.

ddog45

Adventurer
I just added brakes to my chaser trailer and its true they are sweet. Jeeps stop like a turd rolling down hill even with four disc brakes. I have a proportional controler and ten in electric drum brakes and I cant say enough good things about the whole set up. I baught all of the brake stuff from etrailer and the controler off of amazon there is a big range in prices out there.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Need to pull the trigger on a brake controller soon. Gotta decide between the Tekonsha Prodige ($100) or the P3 ($140). Not sure what the P3 offers over the Prodige, other than funky colour screens?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
We have electric brakes on our Horizon Adventure Trailer and i wouldn't tow with out them, especially with how traffic is here in SoCal. People are always cutting you off and slamming on the brakes.

Our trailer can get heavy under full load and the tow rig is already loaded up a bit.. so the brakes help out tremendously. Also when we come to a loose or steep down hill decent we use them to keep the trailer in form.

We use the Drawtite Activator III brake controller on our setup and it works terrific.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan