Trailer floors?

Kiriesh

Adventurer
Finally have time to work on my trailer project so I need to (literally) start from the ground up. Currently I have a frame in progress and I'm planning on using a fiberglass m416 kit like seen here:

http://dinoot.com/models/m-series.html

but that leaves a major question, what should I use for my floor of the trailer? I've put some thought into it, wood seems to be common but I worry about the long-term durability. Obviously steel or aluminum sheet would hold up considerably better but at the cost of a considerable weight gain. Anyone have insight on what they used and why?

1store

Banned
What is your long term use .Will you have a cover .Will it be in doors .When not in used. When I got my different kit there was a guy out of Palo alto that used a aluminum floor. One of his concern was the moisture between the steel and aluminum . I'll see if I can find his email

Last edited:

PCO6

Adventurer
What is your long term use .Will you have a cover .Will it be in doors .When not in used. When I got my different kit there was a guy out of Palo alto that used a aluminum floor. One of his concern was the moisture between the steel and aluminum . I'll see if I can find his email
I have a steel floor and box frame with aluminum walls. I use 2" wide pipe wrap between the 2 materials where they overlap and have no problems with moisture or corrosion.

Places like Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. sell it ...
http://guide.alibaba.com/shop/william-h-harvey-014130-pipe-wrap-tape-2-x100-pipe-tape_35166820.html

PCO6

Adventurer
^^^ Nice thing too is that one side is adhesive. Just peel off the paper and stick it to one of the 2 materials before you attach them. It's also easy to cut if you want narrower width pieces. ... and no mess compared to caulking!

M35A2

Tinkerer
Stainless steel to aluminum is a no-no. You will get galvanic corrosion and the aluminum is sacrificed.

RocknLJ

My Bear Trailersports off road trailer is a fully welded steel trailer with diamond plate floor and sides. I built a metal frame out of 3/4" square tube and made a top with hinged doors out of plywood. Total trailer weight is under 900 lbs (without RTT) and tows like a dream. The steel floor is durable but I have been thinking of how to add a rubberized mat to reduce the harsh ride for the cargo.

compactcamping

Explorer
Kiriesh, plywood is the most common used in Dinoots. I seal my plywood floors with Durabak roll-on bed liner, seals it watertight. Have had customers make M-Series floors out of steel, but don't believe anyone has done an aluminum one yet.

M-Series Dinoot with Durabak sealed plywood floor
floor2_zpsd4e7ddad.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The floor of this Dinoot is 3/4" plywood. It was first painted with epoxy primer, then shot with Raptor bed liner color matched to the exterior of the trailer.

Done-3_zps16928fa1.jpg

FrameUnderside1_zps979c2b52.jpg

Everything in primer before the bedliner and final paint on the tub:

TubPrimer1_zpsb8514b0f.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman