Trailscape's 06 Tundra

bikerjosh

Explorer
nice light idea

Hey trailscape, I like the mounting on the led bar. I've been trying to figure a way to mount a light on the front of my 06 DC. Might try to fab a mounting plate to go on the backside of the bumper to add some rigidity; sandwiching the bumper. Did you use a 34" curved bar?
The PO of my truck painted the chrome mirror covers, but after a couple offroad trips mine need to be redone, do the caps come off easy?
thanks Josh :bike_rider:

trailscape

Explorer
Hey trailscape, I like the mounting on the led bar. I've been trying to figure a way to mount a light on the front of my 06 DC. Might try to fab a mounting plate to go on the backside of the bumper to add some rigidity; sandwiching the bumper. Did you use a 34" curved bar? The PO of my truck painted the chrome mirror covers, but after a couple offroad trips mine need to be redone, do the caps come off easy?
thanks Josh :bike_rider:

It's a 34" bar, also advertised as 180w. With some fender washers installed on the back, it feels pretty solid. A metal plate might help, but the bumper is so flexible as is I'm not really sure. I'm hoping to test it out for vibration soon, but I think it'll be good as is. As for the mirrors. I've heard it's common to break tabs when doing this, but I didn't have a problem. They popped off with some force. I used a putty knife and several screwdrivers to hold it up once I got under the edge and worked my way around.

I sanded them a bit, used adhesive promoter followed by several coats of engine enamel. Wet sanded, added several more coats followed by several coats of clear. I'll see how it holds up. :D

trailscape

Explorer
Finishing up the few last changes I wanted to make and preparing for a weekend trip along US 285 here in Colorado. I haven't been out that way much beyond Pine in some time, so I'm hoping to do a bit more exploration. Suggestions always welcome.

Before and after front end pics:
SAM_0112B.jpg IMG_20150711_120153.jpg

The replacement grille turned out to be for a double cab. I didn't realize this until after I cleaned, sanded, painted, etc..
It fit with a little Dremel trimming along the bottom extensions...
IMG_20150711_090417.jpg IMG_20150711_090616.jpg

My recipe for durable wheel arch coating.. I get sick of all the road grim making these look nasty. This still looks great two years later on the '02.
IMG_20150710_010728.jpg IMG_20150710_010553.jpg

I haven't been able to remove the lower brush guard brackets myself. Them things are in good.. I'll ask the shop to hit it with an impact next time I bring her in.

On, another note. I put a new Eagle Eyes brand headlight in yesterday and the light scatter and beam is awful in comparison to the faded OEM light. I tried cleaning up the old lights, but they are full of little micro cracks. I can't afford OEM replacements, so I'm putting the old ones back in until I can swing an HID retrofit again.

trailscape

Explorer
It was nice to get out for a few days. I took 285 through Buena Vista and down to St. Elmo. From there, headed up to Tin cup Pass and found some great camping along the river.
It's a fairly rocky and bumpy ride with a few tricky spots, but other than that just a slow going fun scenic trip. The high point passes over the divide where there were a lot of ATV's hanging out so I passed on photos.
I continued through Tin Cup and over Cumberland Pass to Pitkin and then off to Gunnison. Rented a cabin for the night to recoup and headed home the following afternoon. Amazing weather.

SAM_0174.JPGSAM_0176.JPGSAM_0188.JPG
SAM_0183.JPGSAM_0195.JPGSAM_0199.JPG
SAM_0190.JPGSAM_0194.JPG

SAM_0197.JPGSAM_0198.JPG

trailscape

Explorer
The chrome plate just removes with no holes ?

I wish it did... Nope, I filled the holes in the bumper with JB weld and then smoothed it out with some Bondo. I don't recommend this approach unless you have a lot of patience.
I bought a beat up looking limited grille on eBay and refinished it. They fortunately, do not have the chrome on them.

trailscape

Explorer
Working on the electrical this week. Trying to find a good way to run wiring in this setup has been a little tricky. I settled on something a bit overkill, but that I find works great.

The conduit is cheap and easily shaped with a heat gun. The boxes are great for installing switches.
Extra labels that go under the hood for an isolator setup that I haven't got around to doing.
IMG_20150814_172142.jpg

The fan is fully automatic now. There's a thermal switch on the left that kicks on at about 100 and off at 90.
There's a micro relay inside that turns the fan off when the ignition is on.
IMG_20150814_172257.jpg

Installed a battery charger for when I might run the battery a little low.
This part seems a bit messy, but it's kind of temporary until I finish up the platform.
IMG_20150814_172044.jpg

Made another hole.. Outside plug for the charger kind of simplifies things and keeps it clean.
IMG_20150814_172016.jpg

Lastly, finally installed the 6' awning. I made brackets from some framing ties. The bracket ends mount inside the existing trim and holes.
KIMG0062-2.jpgKIMG0058-2.jpg

Need to get around to installing the air bags next.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Wow that is legit lol. I thought I was on the wrong site when I saw the red solar label lol. I work for a solar company and see those daily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trailscape

Explorer
Back from a couple nights out in RMNP... Still very busy there, but a good break from the heat.

Working on a couple simple modifications.

I installed these for backup lighting. The hitch seemed too perfect a place for these and the angle is just too steep.
SAM_0148.JPG

Last edited:

trailscape

Explorer
Anyone know a good way to run a propane connection into the truck?

I got a 5lb tank to run my buddy heater, but I'm trying to find a good way to get that propane hose into the topper. A quick fitting installed on the outside would be great, but I don't know what to look for.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Anyone know a good way to run a propane connection into the truck?

I got a 5lb tank to run my buddy heater, but I'm trying to find a good way to get that propane hose into the topper. A quick fitting installed on the outside would be great, but I don't know what to look for.

On my tundra. At the front of the bed there are rubber plugs I can remove to run hoses. If you don't have that than you can drill a hole inside the bed where the little storage boxes are to run a Hose

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I tired running a buddy heater in my topper and I have a hard time keeping the heat from melting my insulation I have added to the top. How are you doing it ? We do have different toppers but heat rises. I also have a large buddy heater and might be the issues.

trailscape

Explorer
I haven't used it in this topper yet, but it's a lot taller than my old one and I never had a problem as long as I kept it close to the floor. Can't imagine the big buddy being much of an issue unless you are running it on the highest setting and mine roasts me out in minutes. For the propane connection, I think I'm trying to find something like the outside power port I installed with a quick coupler on it. If that doesn't exist, maybe I'll just get another one of these and drill out the plug for a nice clean cord port.

I tired running a buddy heater in my topper and I have a hard time keeping the heat from melting my insulation I have added to the top. How are you doing it ? We do have different toppers but heat rises. I also have a large buddy heater and might be the issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior