Trailscape's 06 Tundra

trailscape

Explorer
The headlights in my 2006 actually seem to work fairly well, but the lenses were still stained and filled with micro cracks from uv or stress after a polish. My experience with aftermarket headlights is that they generally suck for oem applications. The reflectors somehow just don't ever seem to focus light correctly. I wasn't quite feeling the need to do another HID retrofit, so I decided to swap the aftermarket lens onto the oem headlight.

It actually worked pretty well. The headlight patterns are actually a close match and look oem rather than like some wall graffiti and a little more adjustment will make it even better. There's much, much less light scatter. Oddly, the remaining light scatter actually comes from the corner lamps.

KIMG0159.jpg

trailscape

Explorer
I'm losing count of how many holes I've put in this topper...

KIMG0165.jpg

But, some added ventilation.. Something I can leave open more often and not worry about. Also great for mobile air flow.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Got another one that I might add in the opposite corner. I had a flush mounted LED previously here.

Pardon the wire mess, but here's a test run of the buddy heater with the vent behind it that should be great for this purpose.
The heater position needs further testing, but on the low setting it was over 70 in there before the overhead material was hot enough to be a concern.

I'll do some real destructive testing in the garage to see what the limits are. Another option might be to add some thermal padding used for exhaust systems.
KIMG0166.jpg

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Love all the mods to the top. Looks we have the same heater size. I run mine on low and it gets pretty warm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trailscape

Explorer
I need to work out a simple boot to go between the topper and cab to keep snow out. It melts and turns to ice that rattles around for days driving me nutty. I just got hearing aids as an early present from the VA and it's especially bothersome.

OH, and heated washer fluid is the bees freaking knees... That is all.

http://www.alphathermusa.com/index.html

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I need to work out a simple boot to go between the topper and cab to keep snow out. It melts and turns to ice that rattles around for days driving me nutty. I just got hearing aids as an early present from the VA and it's especially bothersome.

OH, and heated washer fluid is the bees freaking knees... That is all.

http://www.alphathermusa.com/index.html

PLEASE tell us more about both projects.

I am currently working on my "winter heater for the ARB fridge system"... will add to my build thread soon...

trailscape

Explorer
PLEASE tell us more about both projects.

I am currently working on my "winter heater for the ARB fridge system"... will add to my build thread soon...
Keeping my fridge above freezing would be nice. I'm wondering if a small low wattage heater could be implemented somewhere.

Something like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261457005932

I have an older DC Thermal 12v heater that uses quartz tubes, but haven't been able to really test it out yet. Running it off my aux battery it seems to drain real fast even using the alternator.

It's the 2500 model of this one:
http://dcthermal.com/catalog/sa12-2000

trailscape

Explorer
Fold up table

Inspired by those fancy fold up JK tailgate tables, I put this together with about 25 bucks worth of hardware and some bits and pieces from the garage.

It still needs a bit further refinement, but I think it came out alright for something I threw together in an afternoon.

KIMG0174-2.jpgKIMG0171-2.jpgKIMG0176-2.jpg

6' of 3/4" aluminum L-Channel (Home depot)
12x24" 22 gauge galvanized sheet (Home depot)
Lanyard, 2 Loops, 3/64x12 L, PK5 by ITW BEE LEITZKE (zoro.com)
CMS Magnetics® 39 LB Holding Power Neodymium Cup Magnet 1" Black MCHN-25B (ebay) (there's some rubber feet used as spacers behind the magnets)
Scrap 3/4" sanded plywood (home depot)
Adjustable solar mounting feet reused as hinges

trailscape

Explorer
That heated washer fluid is genius! I've never heard of it. How was the install? Any pics?

Sorry, no pics at the moment. It's really dead simple to install.

The hardest part is finding a place to put the unit that allows you to run the wiring easily and plump the hoses to the washer lines.

I decided to bolt it on the inside of the passenger fender and ran the wires around the firewall to the battery. Once installed you can pretty much forget about it.

trailscape

Explorer
Getting a bit crazy with the hole saw lately... But, I had some ideas.

KIMG0185.jpg KIMG0190.jpg KIMG0186.jpg

Awning is still flush with the roof line, but remounted on a piece of 1x1x46" aluminum tube freeing up a lot of space above the door.
Removed the third brake light and made ideal backup camera positioning. Additional parts are slowly trickling in...

Finding lights that fit was a challenge. There's a horizontal brace by each hinge and another through the widest point.
KIMG0192.jpg

Swapped in some new door stops today.. I really hated those huge rubber bumpers.
IMG_20160107_162525.jpg

Yeah, the paint is slowly coming along. I'm using engine enamel when the weather is decent enough. Works wonders with a heat gun when you have a three hour window of reasonable temperatures.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Looks good. I like it. What's the plug on the right for?? I have my camera down low but it kinda sucks since headlights make it hard to see how far they are. I might need to move mine up like yours. I use it as a rear view mirror so it's always on

trailscape

Explorer
Looks good. I like it. What's the plug on the right for?? I have my camera down low but it kinda sucks since headlights make it hard to see how far they are. I might need to move mine up like yours. I use it as a rear view mirror so it's always on

That's actually just a nice waterproof plug cover that I used to make an access spot for running a propane hose through when using my heater.

Here's how my camera is setup as of today. There's two wired up, one is actually running all the time through a rear view mirror monitor and the other points more at the bumper for backing up.
The height is great because you can see almost all the way off to each side with the wide angle, the only downside is that wide angle makes close objects look tiny when approaching.
Still, I love this setup and keeping it up higher prevents snow and road grime from building up on it. I get double the protection and a glare guard with the awning.

KIMG0202.jpg

trailscape

Explorer
Things are coming together...

I wanted a good but not overly blinding work light that would be relatively low profile. I'm hoping this does the trick, but I'm not sure of the ideal mounting spot. Anyone used this type of light before?
I figure in the middle top of the door might work best, the idea is to light the vicinity around the back of the truck hopefully without an eye burning death ray. I may need to order the angled mount kit.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/97251
KIMG0201.jpg KIMG0209.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior