"TrailTop" modular trailer topper building components

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Looks like it'll be taupe for the main panels, thanks everyone for the input.

Thanks to advice from my "go-to expert on tents/camping" Scott Chaney of Compact Camping (http://compactcampingconcepts.com/), I've made a change in the window design of the side panels. In my original design I had a solid flap on the outside and the screen on the inside, and Scott suggested the opposite, so that's what I'll do. The flap on the inside will zip down from the top, so it will be possible to open it just a little to let air in, or open it all the way down.

Here are two possible shapes for the window - let me know which one you'd prefer, or please suggest something different if you've got a better idea.

CanvasDesign2ab_zps1780a242.jpg

screwball48

Explorer
I feel like the "b" version of the window is best. The shape follows the line of the tent/roof design. The triangulated shape also would allow the smallest area of ventilation possible yet offers the largest total square inch opening possible.

bonomonster

Adventurer
I think it's the front angle of the window in b that throws me off.... What if you brought that angle down a little further at the top, and then straight down to make a 90° angle with the bottom?... Does what I'm saying make sense?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I think it's the front angle of the window in b that throws me off.... What if you brought that angle down a little further at the top, and then straight down to make a 90° angle with the bottom?... Does what I'm saying make sense?

How about this refined version - I made the front angle the complement of the back angle so the opening looks slightly more symmetric.

CanvasDesign2c_zps178be286.jpg

BTW the slight curve where the two front lines meet is to ease the zipper around the corner.

compactcamping

Explorer
For the yellow trailer, I still like how the flare and the window line up on b, although as a clam shell, think I'm leaning towards c

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Based on the feedback from here and a few others I asked, I'll go with the taupe fabric. I'll also do the "option c" side window style.

Here are a few simulations of what the fabric sides will look like

CanvasSim1_zpsf958e021.jpg

CanvasSim2_zpsba1cedf4.jpg

In case you want to see what's real and what's drawn in the image above, here are the original photos... :)

CanvasPoses_zpsdfbd20f4.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be ordering the fabric and other supplies I can't get locally; hopefully I'll have everything by the end of the week and can begin sewing then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman