TreadWright - I want skinnies, but are they LOUD?

Howski

glad to hear more good reviews about these. i'm probably going to get the 285/65/18's bfg at pattern when i need new tires. can't really beat the price (about half what a new bfg would be)

Azlugz

Adventurer
Never used the TW's but I run cutters on my ZJ and you will find that most people that say not to go that way are using them in rock. Skinny tires do not have as wide a patch when aired down and therefore do not have the sideways slip resistance on big rocks that a 12.50 or bigger have. I am running 235/85R16 MTR-K now but had 33x12.50x15's before. The cutters give better mileage, better wear and better general driving. I find that they work fine, aired down, in sand, dirt, mud and most general off road ares, but it is true that the skinnies do not wrap around and grip the rocks as well as a wide tire. I am moving from rock crawling to a more expedition based wheeling so the change was great for me. Like I said, I think this is why most people complain about cutters

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
For everyone running the AT's, how loud are they? Just curious if you're happy with them...this is a smoking deal compared to what I've been shopping for.

UPDATE: I ended up getting a set of Treadwright 245/75/16 Warden ATs and drove on them for 38,488 miles. Did not find them loud at all and they performed just like the BFG AT's I had years ago. These wore evenly and aired down well during our 2 years of travel across the Americas. I recently replaced them for some extra winter traction, although they still had a decent amount of life on them. I've been religious about rotating, balancing and alignment every 7500 miles. Keep in mind the majority of the miles I put on these tires were pretty rough. 31,000+ of these miles were in Mexico, Central America and South America. We are one of the few Pan-Am travelers I've met that NEVER once received a flat tire or blowout, although the fact that the tires were E rated on a light duty vehicle (overkill) didn't hurt at all. For an AT they did fine in dirt, sand, light snow and light mud and on wet roads, although next time I will definitely get the Kedge grip for added traction in wet/snow.

Last edited:

fifthcircle

Adventurer
For everyone running the AT's, how loud are they? Just curious if you're happy with them...this is a smoking deal compared to what I've been shopping for.

31x10.50R15 gets real spendy when you need to buy 6 of them :Wow1:

Everything I have read (not personal experience) has said they are VERY similar to the BFG A/T. I had the BFG A/T's a few years ago, and they were good, not loud at all. Basically no more noise than anything else, but they did feel more "firm" or "rough" on the highway...with a higher load rating.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Everything I have read (not personal experience) has said they are VERY similar to the BFG A/T. I had the BFG A/T's a few years ago, and they were good, not loud at all. Basically no more noise than anything else, but they did feel more "firm" or "rough" on the highway...with a higher load rating.

Yeah, I've been leaning towards BFG A/T's for a while, but paying half their price is very appealing. I'm almost considering going with 4 BFG's mounted, with 2 spare treadwrights. I could always justify it as "going green"? :coffeedrink:

fifthcircle

Adventurer
Yeah, I've been leaning towards BFG A/T's for a while, but paying half their price is very appealing. I'm almost considering going with 4 BFG's mounted, with 2 spare treadwrights. I could always justify it as "going green"? :coffeedrink:

That might be a good way to go. Would you rotate the TreadWrights in for even wear...and then compare them? Or would they just be spares all the time?

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
That might be a good way to go. Would you rotate the TreadWrights in for even wear...and then compare them? Or would they just be spares all the time?

I'd probably rotate them in for even wear & comparison...of course when using them, they'd be both front or both rear tires. Heck, may as well just go with 4 Treadwrights and 2 spare BFG A/T's...

TRDFAN

Adventurer
I have had my 285/75/16 AT's on BFG load E's for over 40k now and have nothing but great things to say about these tires. They still look new, I will probably get another 40k out of them at the rate they are going.

The ride can be a little stiff, but hey its a load E tire, I like the extra thick side walls cause they stand up to the abuse better. I encourage everybody I know to check out their tires before buying a new set. The price is unbeatable and so is their customer service.:smiley_drive:

fifthcircle

Adventurer
Call them and ask. Pretty sure they have shipping weight at least....

I can weigh mine when I get them, but won't do you much good unless you are looking specifically at the 235/85r16 Crawler M/T. :ylsmoke:

tommudd

Explorer
4) 265-70-16 Guard Dogs on BFG casings are 168 lb according to the shipping label
just got 4 into the garage today for someone else

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Or even 6 treadwrights and 0 BFGs...

I'll admit, i really like that price tag more :sombrero:

It's a little tempting to mount 2 BFG's and 2 Treadwright's for my PanAm trip...just for experimental purposes.

I'm not one to recommend a product because of free handouts, but if the Treadwright's proved worthy (and an honest gear review) maybe I could get hooked up with a discounted replacement tire...doubt it. Bottom line it's still half the price! That's $$$ I could spend on gas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior