TreadWright - I want skinnies, but are they LOUD?

Jamin_GX

Adventurer
I'm looking at the Warden A/Ts but am not sure if I should go with the C or E tires.

According to wikipedia, C is 6ply and E is 10 ply.

Oh, and these tires are going on a '06 Lexus GX470 by the way.

Any suggestions from someone who knows more about tires than I do? :coffee:

fifthcircle

Adventurer
I'm looking at the Warden A/Ts but am not sure if I should go with the C or E tires.

According to wikipedia, C is 6ply and E is 10 ply.

Oh, and these tires are going on a '06 Lexus GX470 by the way.

Any suggestions from someone who knows more about tires than I do? :coffee:

What are on it stock?

As far as weight goes, I think you'll be just fine with the C load rating.....and this will provide a more smooth(softer) ride.

But if you are going to take that Lexus out into areas with sharp rocks, get the E's for added cut resistance....if you want to.

Jamin_GX

Adventurer
Thanks for your thoughts, fifthcircle.

Currently there are some 265/65-17 Michelin Crossterrains I believe on it (OEM). I'm in the process of converting the GX into an Expo rig so these definitely need to go as they've almost left me stuck a couple times already. Was just waiting for them to wear a bit before replacing them.

I'm thinking the E rated tires for the same reasons you mentioned plus some more load capacity now that it's being weighed down with a rtt, engle, etc.

Gregster

Observer
Do you have any lift on your Taco? Can't see the picture but I'm wondering if this tire would fit with the stock suspension (haven't got any lift of mine yet).

EDIT: I can see the pictures now, thanks! Looks great.

Last edited:

fifthcircle

Adventurer
Do you have any lift on your Taco? Can't see the picture but I'm wondering if this tire would fit with the stock suspension (haven't got any lift of mine yet).

Well, not much of a lift. I have the Bilstein 5100's on the front (set at 3rd of 4 for lift) and I think it's a little over 1.5" of lift. On the back, I have the TSB done, and that gave me about 3/4" of lift.

BUT, I had no problems at all with 265/75's when it was stock. These are not much if any taller than that. Treadwright lists them at 32" tall, and their 265/75's at 32.2" tall. The new tire is sitting with no weight on it, and does appear much taller...I don't think it is, other than having more tread.

In other words, they will fit stock :coffee:

Last edited:

jingram

Adventurer
Looking at the exact same tire in the same size currently... look forward to seeing pics of them mounted and your impressions. What was your final cost out the door mounted and balanced?

fifthcircle

Adventurer
Looking at the exact same tire in the same size currently... look forward to seeing pics of them mounted and your impressions. What was your final cost out the door mounted and balanced?

Cost: 4 tires with "Kedge Grip" to my door, $405. Got them mounted and balanced for $20 each. Total cost was still WELL UNDER $500! Totally worth it so far.

Pics on the truck:

BEFORE:
265/75

AFTER:
235/85

Initial driving impressions:
I have not gotten to drive much with them yet, since I went out of town a day after getting them mounted. BUT, after getting them on, and dropping off my used tires to a friend who wants to use them. He asked them how they balanced up. I said the guys doing the work didn't mention any problems, so I assumed they were fine. We looked at the weights, and only say a few ounces on each wheel. One wheel doesn't even have any weights on it (I am going to look closer for tape weights when I get a chance...it's cold out. LOL). So after seing how little weight was on them, I decided to blast down the interstate a few miles and make sure they were smooth. Good up to about 80mph!

If you have ever gone from a worn all terrain to a new mud terrain, you know the handling will be a bit "soft". So far this is exactly the feel of it. Other than that, not much different. They don't ride any more rough than the Revo's that I was running at 35psi (these are at 50psi for now). I also was accelerating harder than I have in a year without spinning a tire. THANK GOD FOR NEW RUBBER!! ;)

So far, I am happy. They look good, and not overly skinny like I thought they might. They were a bit heavy, but I can't tell the difference on the truck. I will try and get some MPG info after I drive a bit. I don't anticipate it changing...

More pics:

Last edited:

fly_rodder

Fifthcircle talked me into going with TreadWrights on my JK:

in 285/75/16

1119471271_nRDMm-L.jpg

8oz of AirSoft pellets in each tire. So far, so good.

Krookz

Did you happen to measure how tall those were after they were mounted? I know the claimed sizes on manufactures websites vary to what they actually measure

peneumbra

Explorer
I just put a set of Treadwright 245/70/19.5 Guard Dog tires on my 1.25-ton Chevy 4x4; they ride amazingly well, although they're far too quiet for my taste (I like my tires like my women: loud and sticky). The tread has ground-up accountants, or walnuts, or something in it, so we'll see how it works come winter...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior