Trip down Oregon coast

Mock Tender

Adventurer
biggoolies-

Thanks for the dimensions. We have been looking at a Escape 19' that when the tongue is removed is 15'8". This is 8" longer than what Fuso recommends for the LWB- but the trailer dry weight is only 2510 lbs (including the tongue). The Bigfoot is a more substantial trailer than the Escape- I like that. But, there is nothing in the 19' range for the Bigfoot and I would guess that the 21 would just not work on the Fuso.

I can't figure out how to find Carl's set-up to see the bigger unit he has- so some help would be appreciated.

Mark

biggoolies

Adventurer
Just Google search Carl Hunter Fuso or look under post in this forum Mitsui Fuso camper examples
[SUB][/SUB][SUB]biggoolies[/SUB]-

Thanks for the dimensions. We have been looking at a Escape 19' that when the tongue is removed is 15'8". This is 8" longer than what Fuso recommends for the LWB- but the trailer dry weight is only 2510 lbs (including the tongue). The Bigfoot is a more substantial trailer than the Escape- I like that. But, there is nothing in the 19' range for the Bigfoot and I would guess that the 21 would just not work on the Fuso.

I can't figure out how to find Carl's set-up to see the bigger unit he has- so some help would be appreciated.

Mark

Last edited:

Gatsma

Adventurer
Mock Tender mentions Carl Hunter's BIGGER unit; I hope he knows Carl used the SAME basic trailer(different floorplan, maybe) as you. I think Carl's longer wheelbase is fooling him.

biggoolies

Adventurer
Mock Tender mentions Carl Hunter's BIGGER unit; I hope he knows Carl used the SAME basic trailer(different floorplan, maybe) as you. I think Carl's longer wheelbase is fooling him.

I chose the exact floor plan as him. Essentially the cabin is identical other than his was a 2001 and mine is a 2003. The truck is a 2006 model.

westyss

Explorer
Here is the picture of the adhesive rubber steps I put on the side of the cab.

Thanks for the pic!

It looks like the feet mount right into the female threaded ports on the cab, did it need any modification to mount at all? seems like a perfect fit.

I also noticed a difference in lifting the cab once my air seats were installed, thought I was getting weaker at the time! What do you think that whole roof rack weighs?

I remember you didnt have much stuff between the frame rails, have you considered installing some veg oil tanks there?

Ahh! so many questions!

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
After I had put the rack on the first time, I tried to lift the cab to get at something and was surprised that I could not lift it. I forgot about the weight of the rack up there, thinking I was losing strength in my "older" age. But I usually lift the cab up in our driveway which has an upward slope. duh! So anyhow, I can lift the cab with the rack on it empty on the flat still but I have a fair amount of strength. Others ability to lift this system will vary and may require a helper.

I also noticed a difference in lifting the cab once my air seats were installed, thought I was getting weaker at the time!

Had the same problem...There's a simple adjustment bolt at the cab hinge that allows you to dial in more help from the cab lift spring assist. Also open both doors which puts the cab weight a bit forward. Also I tied back the "lift safety lever" so I could use both hands & a reasonable lift posture to lift the damn thing...Before I worked it out I ran a rope over the top of the cab and pulled from the front...Moe

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Had the same problem...There's a simple adjustment bolt at the cab hinge that allows you to dial in more help from the cab lift spring assist. Also open both doors which puts the cab weight a bit forward. Also I tied back the "lift safety lever" so I could use both hands & a reasonable lift posture to lift the damn thing...Before I worked it out I ran a rope over the top of the cab and pulled from the front...Moe

You can elongate the adjustment slot out too if you need even more lift. Have had to do many times before when fitted with the cab has suspension seats, fridges, racks, wid deflectors, etc. Too much lift can make it very hard to pull back down though.

biggoolies

Adventurer
The tent trailer rack is the SR1020 by Sportrack which is shown at www.sportrack.com The roof basket is the SR9030 also on the website. The basket also has an extension piece that makes the basket wider. I could not find the weight of the racks and basket. It may be on their website somewhere or they could be contacted by phone or email. Because of the angle of the threads on the top of the cab, the brackets holding the tent trailer racks had to be bent down to parallel the top of the cab. I tried to bend them myself but I eventually took them to a shop that had a press that bend them the proper angle to hold the rails. Also, the bracket had square holes so the bolts would not move. I believe I had to drill those round to accept the proper metric bolt. Oh, and the holes lined up to my surprise.

The is a good idea about installing tanks between the frame rails. Thanks for the tip.

The
Thanks for the pic!

It looks like the feet mount right into the female threaded ports on the cab, did it need any modification to mount at all? seems like a perfect fit.

I also noticed a difference in lifting the cab once my air seats were installed, thought I was getting weaker at the time! What do you think that whole roof rack weighs?

I remember you didnt have much stuff between the frame rails, have you considered installing some veg oil tanks there?

Ahh! so many questions!

Last edited:

Mock Tender

Adventurer
biggoolies-

I went by Paul's Mobile RV when I was up in BC last week. I spoke with Dan since Paul was out. He said that you added an extension to your frame to accomadate the 17 BF. How much over hang past the rear axle did you eventually have? Dan also suggested that to stabilize the trailer that we add motorcycle shocks from the frame to the trailer when using the three point mounting. Have you done this? And also what type of shocks did you use- motorcycle seems a little light weight to me.

Mark

biggoolies

Adventurer
Hi Mark:
The extension is only needs to be about 16 inches past the back of the frame. Dan left extra steel tubing but it will be cut off when my motorcycle rack will be built. Dan used steel tubing bolted to the frame. Remember that my truck is the short wheel base. The pictures posted may show it but if not I will post more. I never did put on any shocks although several people thought it would be a good idea. I have not found it necessary but I may put one or two on in the future.
Okay I looked at the other pictures. I will take some more to give you a better idea.
biggoolies-

I went by Paul's Mobile RV when I was up in BC last week. I spoke with Dan since Paul was out. He said that you added an extension to your frame to accomadate the 17 BF. How much over hang past the rear axle did you eventually have? Dan also suggested that to stabilize the trailer that we add motorcycle shocks from the frame to the trailer when using the three point mounting. Have you done this? And also what type of shocks did you use- motorcycle seems a little light weight to me.

Mark

Mock Tender

Adventurer
biggoolies- I would appreciate the extra pictures. There are two treads going right now that are essentially covering the same thing. The "60%" tread responses have included some CADs and a couple of photo's. What I am still confused about is that I would be getting a LWB Fuso and a 17' BF. Based on your pictures, I would think that with your SWB fitting the 17'BF so well, would allow me to either put a storage area behind the cab or even consider a BF 21' and not interfere with angles off of inclines. Was Carl's a LWB or a SWB?

Also- how much farther do you stick out with the motorcycle carrier?

Mark

Gatsma

Adventurer
I happen to know Carl's was a LWB- you would know this by where the rear axle is located under the trailer coach, as both coaches are located about the same distance from the cab, yet Carl's rear axle is much further back than Biggoolies' is. This in no way is criticism of EITHER rig, as they both function quite well by all indications!

biggoolies

Adventurer
I happen to know Carl's was a LWB- you would know this by where the rear axle is located under the trailer coach, as both coaches are located about the same distance from the cab, yet Carl's rear axle is much further back than Biggoolies' is. This in no way is criticism of EITHER rig, as they both function quite well by all indications!

Hi:
Work has gotten in the way and a heck of alot of rain the day I could take some pictures. I will take some tomorrow.
regards, :)

biggoolies

Adventurer
A 21 foot trailer will not be an option for these trucks imho. Carl's LWB worked well as a combination with the 17 foot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior