Trip Report Wyoming BDR August 16-26

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
The Wyoming Backcountry Discovery Route was pretty darn tough. I have done all or significant parts of the BDRs for NM, CO, MT and ID. None were as hard as WY. The week before we arrived there was a week long Jeepers Jamboree. Maybe it was wet and they damaged the trails. Maybe its all the Razor types or just lots of people doing the BDR when wet. Whatever the reason the trails were pretty rough up north but better in the south. Some sections up north were just as rough in the regular sections as they were in the expert sections.

Home August 23 and extremely tired. Don’t think ill do another overlander. Gotten too old for the constant grind. Trying to keep an eye on Gaia on my iPhone and watch the road was tough. Ill be 80 this Friday so just too much for an old fart.

Dale real sorry you could not make it but ill be honest, your trailer would not have survived. The so called easy sections had stretches that equalled the expert stuff. We only did one hard section up north and skipped the others. Sorry to hear about your sister.

Tom also sorry you could not continue. I was glad i was not pulling my old lightweight trailer. Despite lots of reports to the contrary this BDR was harder than any I’ve done before.

Sorry Debbie had to drop out too with undiagnosed engine trouble.

Chuck and Anne joined us for four days towards the end.

I left the remaining members Curt, Gary and Ken at Baggs. They were going to stick around and do the Red Desert Loop.

More report later and photos too i hope.

Ace
16bca94341217489fc4469a253dbf704.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0780c5ce4c1fca8ac3a5be26779c9f06.jpg

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Gary, Ken and I continued south from Baggs, WY on the north portion of the CO BDR. We went out separate ways today in Buena Vista, CO. The rain the last 2 days meant that we skipped some segments between Weston Pass and town to save the trails

I still have to get home, so I won't add anything for several days.

Great trip, great group of Ol'Farts and thanks to Ace for leading us thorough WY!

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Gary, Ken and I continued south from Baggs, WY on the north portion of the CO BDR. We went out separate ways today in Buena Vista, CO. The rain the last 2 days meant that we skipped some segments between Weston Pass and town to save the trails

I still have to get home, so I won't add anything for several days.

Great trip, great group of Ol'Farts and thanks to Ace for leading us thorough WY!

Curt, thanks for being my back-seat-driver. Hard to read that small iPhone screen but Curt always corrected my wrong turns. At one point we were discussing great pie and I flew right by one turn with pie on my mind. Also great that Curt really knows Toyotas. I picked his brain for Gen 5 4Runner ideas.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Hey guys, let us know how those new Kelty half-tent shelters worked on the back of your vehicles.
Out of 3 nights camping, used the Kelty 1 night. They’re quick and simple to set up and take down and provide nice privacy. Still need to try in in-climate weather, but expect them to do the job. Worth the $ in my book.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Hey guys, let us know how those new Kelty half-tent shelters worked on the back of your vehicles.

I have yet to use mine while traveling. One rainy night i used a simple tarp as its so easy to set up and it was very handy. But i gave it to Curt so now ill be forced to use the Kelty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan