Trip Report Wyoming BDR August 16-26

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
As a last minute add-in into this report; I just found this guy on YouTube. Very interesting fellow. Here is just one of the videos he has done on trips in WY. Did you guys come close to these locations?

I like to note that his SUV is a LC200, maybe a 100, not sure. But he pretty much lives out of this stock Land Cruiser, pretty much bone stock. I'm impressed! What do you think?

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
As a last minute add-in into this report; I just found this guy on YouTube. Very interesting fellow. Here is just one of the videos he has done on trips in WY. Did you guys come close to these locations?

I like to note that his SUV is a LC200, maybe a 100, not sure. But he pretty much lives out of this stock Land Cruiser, pretty much bone stock. I'm impressed! What do you think?

Interesting and proves the capability of a stock Toyota 4x4, which is a 100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwittman

Adventurer
I have gotten home and finally unpacked after two back to back off-road adventures. My home survived Tropical Storm Hillary while I was gone with with only a medium sized tree limb blown down. My report is kind of late but here it is.

This first photo is of a mostly barren area with some unusual rock formations near the Southern Montana and Crow reservation border. This is kind of the informal start of our trip. P1010001.JPG

The next photo is of a group of cowboys and cowgirls(?) out in the middle of nowhere. There were at least two real cowboys but I don't know about the rest of them. I don't know what they where doing there. I didn't have time to chat with them. I just asked if they minded if I took a photo of them and once I go the nod, I clicked and headed out.
P1010005.JPG

This next one is of one of the many beautiful views of the Wyoming country,
P1010006.JPG

This is a view of some typical parts of the Wyoming BDR. It was by no means all this easy. We passed through some very difficult areas also. I can't imagine riding an adventure bike though some of those bad areas.
P1010007.JPG

This is what I woke up to the morning of our official day of the start of our trip. This deer was grazing in the middle of our campground and had no fear of anybody being there.
P1010009.JPG

This photo is one of our slightly rough areas. I was wondering why everybody was circling over to the left, but realized why when I got to what looked like a small ditch that we needed to cross. That small ditch was a deep washout that was kind of narrow. My front valence rubbed some when I dropped into it and at the rear the receiver hit hard enough when I climbed out that it pulled out the cap I had on it. I stopped to check and popped the cap back in and moved on to catch up with the group.
P1010015.JPG

This is a photo of a view from a pullout on the trail. It was a steep drop of about 2,000 ft into a valley with a river running through it. I know the picture doesn't do it justice as to the feeling you get when being there.
P1010017.JPG

This is a photo of a stream from a small wooden bridge we crossed. It looked so peaceful with a Zen look to it and I could not resist enjoying it for a while.
P1010023.JPG

This is a photo of our fearless leader. He got high centered and stuck when his vehicle slipped from straddling the deep ruts to being in them. Our remaining Jeep had to rescue the Toyota.
P1010029.JPG

We did see a lot of wild flowers and I always must show at least one shot of them. I think these are wild esters.
P1010041.JPG

I have a few more photos to show and will come back for another set.

Gary

Last edited:

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Gary,

Thanks so much for the photos! I sure wish that we could have made the trip with everyone. Looks like it was truly an adventure all the way.

See you next fall.

Dale

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Thanks for posting! The folks on horseback were most likely checking pasture conditions, fences and water levels.

I was up front and had a clear view of the goings on. I believe it was a real roundup and probable branding. But also clearly a lot of the riders were dudes and dudettes but they were pushing the herd too. Looking back there was a row of identical white tents suggesting some dude operation. Taking advantage of the popularity of Yellowstone.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I was up front and had a clear view of the goings on. I believe it was a real roundup and probable branding. But also clearly a lot of the riders were dudes and dudettes but they were pushing the herd too. Looking back there was a row of identical white tents suggesting some dude operation. Taking advantage of the popularity of Yellowstone.

My mistake, I did not see cows. Horseback is still one of the best tools. :)

gwittman

Adventurer
Ace, you are talking about a different situation. That photo was taken on the day before the official start of the trip, when we went up to the Montana border. No other people or cows were around.

yetti, you could be correct. However, they were taking a very long break. They had to be there over an hour. I saw them on the way up and were still there when we came back down the trail much later.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Ace, you are talking about a different situation. That photo was taken on the day before the official start of the trip, when we went up to the Montana border. No other people or cows were around.

yetti, you could be correct. However, they were taking a very long break. They had to be there over an hour. I saw them on the way up and were still there when we came back down the trail much later.

Yes i forgot about that first encounter. I was not able to view your photos where i was at the time I posted.

Last edited:

gwittman

Adventurer
I reinstalled the attachments so the photos should show now.

Now I will finish up my report. I will start out with a field of flowers. I think these are mountain sunflowers but don't use that as a reference. It was nice to see so many flowers on the trip.
P1010040.JPG

This was near the beginning of the Red Desert while going on the loop clockwise. Ace had bailed out for this part of the trip. He had an 80th birthday party to go to.
P1010043.JPG

This is what appeared to be a mud cave we came across in the Red Desert.
P1010044.JPG

Here you can see why it is called the Red Desert, although this looks more like a painted desert.
P1010046.JPG

This is the bluffs of the Red Desert. We had dropped off of the mesa to try to find some shelter from the wind for camping. We had no luck and could not get through due to locked out private property.
P1010047.JPG

This was our warning that we were headed into some bad weather when we were on the Colorado BDR. We did hit some very hard rain. Fortunately, that heaviest downpour was on pavement or graded roads. We did get some fairly heavy rain on narrow mountain roads too. A couple places it was nearly as slippery as ice, but it was not bad enough to sink in yet. There was one section that was lightly rutted and I had to drive sideways for about 50 yards at about a 45 degree angle until my rear tires could get enough traction to follow my front tires. That was in 4WD with MT tires.

P1010053.JPG

Ken, Curt and I did some fairly fast running on the CO BDR. We went separate directions at Buena Vista. Ken continued on South on the BDR. Curt had to write a preface for his brother's book and I headed to Ace's house to spend the night before going to Durango to meet up with another group for a second trip.

The WY BDR was a great trip with some awesome scenery.

Last edited:

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Now I will finish up my report. I will start out with a field of flowers. I think these are mountain sunflowers but don;t use that as a reference. It was nice to see so many flowers.
View attachment 797786

This was near the beginning of the Red Desert while going on the loop clockwise. Ace had bailed out for this part of the trip. He had an 80th birthday party to go to.
View attachment 797788

This is what appeared to be a mud cave we cama across in the Red Desert.
View attachment 797789

Here you can see why it is called the Red Desert, although this looks more like a painted desert.
View attachment 797790

This is the bluffs of the Red Desert. We had drop off of the mesa to try to find some shelter from the wind for camping. We had no luck and could not get through due to locked out private property.
View attachment 797791

This was our warning that we were headed into some bad weather when we we on the Colorado BDR. We ddi hit some very hard rain. Fortunately, that heaviest downpour was on pavement or graded roads. WE did get some fairly heavy rain on narrow mountain roads too. A couple places it was nearly as slippery as ice, but it was not bad enough to sink in yet. There was one section that was lightly rutted and I had to drive sideways for about 50 yards at about a 45 degree angle until my rear tires could get enough traction to follow my front tires. That was in 4WD with MT tires.
View attachment 797793

I don't know what happened to my attachments. It looks like I will have to go back and redo them when I have time.

(Cant open the photos.) Yes, fixed now. Some good shots. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:

DVD

Adventurer
Thanks for the reports and photos. Looks like some great times in beautiful country.
Ace, good to see you are still adventuring!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior