Triple-purpose JK Build

6Pins

Adventurer
XXXpedition said:
which platform?
i wanna add a second battery too and with the diesel there's just no space left under the hood...

Sure, rub it in that you get the diesel engine over there while I'm stuck with the minivan V6 here in the states....

Last edited:

jsmoriss

Explorer
mrwizard said:
looks great! i like the on board air set up, but am curious about the in-cab line. could you elaborate a little more on it? what do you use it for? do you have a valve on the exterior or is it always charged?

I have a switch to turn on/off the York compressor under the hood. It shuts off automatically at 150 psi, and turns back on at 110 psi. The whole system, including the tanks of the roof rack, are pressurized at 150 psi. There's a regulator that steps that down to 100-110 psi for the outlets. I use the outlets to fill tires and run air tools. There aren't any air leaks in the system, so the tanks are pretty much always charged (although most press-fit fittings usually leak a bit over time, and I have a few of those).

js.

mrwizard

Adventurer
jsmoriss said:
I have a switch to turn on/off the York compressor under the hood. It shuts off automatically at 150 psi, and turns back on at 110 psi. The whole system, including the tanks of the roof rack, are pressurized at 150 psi. There's a regulator that steps that down to 100-110 psi for the outlets. I use the outlets to fill tires and run air tools. There aren't any air leaks in the system, so the tanks are pretty much always charged (although most press-fit fittings usually leak a bit over time, and I have a few of those).

js.

yeah, i've ran oba before on a couple vehicles, but was curious about why you chose to mount the outlet inside. do you have any other outlets? nice build!

jsmoriss

Explorer
mrwizard said:
yeah, i've ran oba before on a couple vehicles, but was curious about why you chose to mount the outlet inside. do you have any other outlets? nice build!

We have snow and road-salt up here, so finding a good spot for an outlet on the exterior is difficult. Having one in the driver and passenger footwells solves the winter issue. :)

js.

jsmoriss

Explorer
Added a "BatteryMinder" velcro'd to the fuse box. It desulphates the battery and protects against power surges from misc. 12V accessories.

20081109-105556-lx2-40085.jpg

js.

chuck45

Observer
SeaRubi said:
Painting in your living room ... that's dedication!

I rebuilt a VW engine in the living room once. 2nd story apartment, no garage or carport and young with little money. My wife still tells the story.

chuck45

Observer
jsmoriss said:
The air tanks -- approx. 2 x 6 gallons -- should be installed later this week. They'll be going on the roof rack, right behind the Hannibal awning.

20080911-182601-lx2-30803.jpg

js.

What is the story on those air tanks? The only tanks I can find are 6" diam x 24" long at 2.5 gallons.

jsmoriss

Explorer
chuck45 said:
What is the story on those air tanks? The only tanks I can find are 6" diam x 24" long at 2.5 gallons.

:-D

Those are old oxygen tanks off an airplane. They're about 3" wide and 48" long.

js.

chuck45

Observer
jsmoriss said:
:-D

Those are old oxygen tanks off an airplane. They're about 3" wide and 48" long.

js.

Very interesting. I've been looking for somehing that I could tuck up between the frame rails on the drivers side - I've moved the Evap cannister and have room. The 6" one I find are a bit to big. These could work. Any idea as to what kind of plane they came out of or a source for them. Thanks!

BTW; you've done a great job on your Jeep. Part of the fun of owning these is doing sanitary mods.

jsmoriss

Explorer
I bought some roll bar clamp rings from FourTreks http://fourtreks.com/modular_clamp_rings.html for my roof rack (3/4"), roll bar (2 1/4") and tire carrier (1 1/2").

I bought two pairs for the roof rack and will use 'em with some Quick Fists for a shovel and axe -- finally a quick and easy way to get at them! I have the Garvin axe and shovel mount, but it takes an insane amount of time to get at them or to store them again. I tried the Hi-Lift 'handle all' but again, when something isn't easily at hand, you tend not to use it.

I might use the roll bar or tire carrier clamps to create a Pull-Pal mount. I'm trying to avoid putting too much weight on the Expedition One bumper since it's connected to the tailgate.

I also found a good spot on the tire carrier for a jerry can, so ordered an Adventure Trailers jerry can holder. Unfortunately I can only fit one -- two would block the passenger side tail light.

js.

chuck45

Observer
Another, cheaper, way to go on clamp rings is to go to McMcaster-Carr at www.mcmaster.com. Search for Two-Piece Clamp-On Shaft Collars or go to page 1136. I just bought four 1 3/4" two piece collars for 10.62 a piece. They don't have all those extra holes drilled in them (which for me is a plus) and they have all kinds of sizes available. I ordered the 18th, they shipped the 19th and arrived today. They're good folks to deal with on all kinds of odd stuff that you know exists somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior